You got 8 dollars

I started thinking about a cheaper source of carbs than oats, and then I noticed that potatoes were mentioned. I remember as a kid seeing specials of 10 lb bags of Russet potatoes for $1. I was recently at a local market that had 10 lb bags for about $2.50.

bagged potatoes can be a good deal but like the issue i found when running numbers on the $8 premise-unless i wanted to buy a full bag at say your price of $2.50 and spend about 31% of the entire budget, i can't get single potatoes for 25 cents per pound. personalty-i like potatoes just fine but that's when they are combined w/other ingredients to make things like mashed (milk/maybe butter), fried (oil) or baked (at minimum butter or sour cream) none of which i could figure out how to include in the one time/totally empty pantry $8 challenge. just a plain cooked potato? i'll opt for the 15 cent ramens.

bagged potatoes can be a good deal but like the issue i found when running numbers on the $8 premise-unless i wanted to buy a full bag at say your price of $2.50 and spend about 31% of the entire budget, i can't get single potatoes for 25 cents per pound. personalty-i like potatoes just fine but that's when they are combined w/other ingredients to make things like mashed (milk/maybe butter), fried (oil) or baked (at minimum butter or sour cream) none of which i could figure out how to include in the one time/totally empty pantry $8 challenge. just a plain cooked potato? i'll opt for the 15 cent ramens.

I get that it gets kind of boring. However, at a certainly point it's going to be about getting as many calories as possible for the money - given the premise here.

Also - I forgot about one thing, which is that potatoes aren't necessarily that calorie dense because a lot of it is water.

Now perhaps a gallon of cooking oil would be extremely calorie dense, but only having that is going to result in some pretty nasty digestive issues.

If you're at work during the week, you only really have to worry about dinners. Just get to work early and forage through the fridge in the break room for breakfast. Or, scout the conference rooms to see if anyone is setting up for a catered meeting. If you take anything from a platter, such as a bagel, be sure to rearrange the remaining ones so you don't leave a big hole. Stroll by the break room often to see if they put out the leftovers after the meeting. Carry a ziplock bag so you can load it up. You might be able to sleep in the next day if you don't have to come in early to hunt and gather.

After everyone shows up and puts their lunches away, go to the fridge and get your lunch. An apple here, a cheese stick there, a yogurt, bag of chips. Drink water from the water cooler and you're all set. You just have to eat your contraband in private so no one recognizes it as being theirs. Then things can get ugly.
Pretty sure there are people at my office with whom you have already had this conversation. :lmao:

I get that it gets kind of boring. However, at a certainly point it's going to be about getting as many calories as possible for the money - given the premise here.

Also - I forgot about one thing, which is that potatoes aren't necessarily that calorie dense because a lot of it is water.

Now perhaps a gallon of cooking oil would be extremely calorie dense, but only having that is going to result in some pretty nasty digestive issues.

That's why I bought lard. Sounds crazy, but it is in homemade tortillas (or vegetable shortening, but that's more expensive) and you could use it to make refried beans (though I actually use olive oil in mine--again way too expensive). I picked rice for a starch (along with homemade tortillas) because it blends well with beans to make a more complete protein. You could fry stuff in the lard, too. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Big bag of rice and coconut and can tuna or cheapest fish. And do the Survivor diet. I have never bought coconut before so I am not sure the cost. If too high, maybe can of that condensed coconut milk.

If you're at work during the week, you only really have to worry about dinners. Just get to work early and forage through the fridge in the break room for breakfast. Or, scout the conference rooms to see if anyone is setting up for a catered meeting. If you take anything from a platter, such as a bagel, be sure to rearrange the remaining ones so you don't leave a big hole. Stroll by the break room often to see if they put out the leftovers after the meeting. Carry a ziplock bag so you can load it up. You might be able to sleep in the next day if you don't have to come in early to hunt and gather.

After everyone shows up and puts their lunches away, go to the fridge and get your lunch. An apple here, a cheese stick there, a yogurt, bag of chips. Drink water from the water cooler and you're all set. You just have to eat your contraband in private so no one recognizes it as being theirs. Then things can get ugly.

and this is why back when i worked i hit up my doctor for a few 'caution-medical bio hazard' zip lock bags to pack my lunch in. not only did no one touch it-i usualy got an entire shelf in the break room fridge to myself:thumbsup2

This is actually a fascinating exercise. I don't know what I'd buy. Tap water here is safe to drink. Maybe bread and butter? Cereal? Milk?

8 bucks can make a serious pot of soup which can easily be turned into a stew over noodles or mashed taters later in the week. I keep a well purveyed freezer so life is easier on that level for me.

Yesterday, I got a watermelon for $1.99, 18 eggs for .79, bread for .99, gallon of milk for .99, a box of store brand frosted flakes for $1.49. Peanut butter is only $1.39 so I'd probably grab a jar of that, too.

Holy cow! For $2.79 those eggs better be chocolate filled with Cadbury cream!

I bought eggs last week. A dozen was 45 cents. I bought four dozen.

Does anyone want to mail me some groceries? Paying postage might be cheaper than shopping here. Right now, large eggs are $2.69 a dozen, 2% milk is $3.85 a gallon, and nasty cheap store bread is $1.99 a loaf, PB is $2.50 on sale for a 13oz. jar (store brand is $1.99 but it's gross). Campbell's soup is $1.29-$1.99 a can; store brand is 99 cents a can. This is at the "regular" grocery store; we don't have chains like Aldi or bulk-food stores here.

Chicken thighs are $1.69 a pound, so I'd get a couple of pounds ($3.38). Maybe 2 pounds of pasta (99 cents a pound, so $1.98) and two cans of pasta sauce (Hunt's, 99 cents a can, so another $1.98). That's $7.34. Hmmm... maybe only one pound of pasta (I can't eat much of it since I had surgery) and use the $1.65 for some old, tired, wilted, marked-down veggies to add to that sauce, or split it between tired veggies and out-of-date rolls or bread.

Dozen eggs, loaf of bread, 5 containers of yogurt, gallon of milk and 3 $.25 packs of ramen noodles.

Since that would only leave me about $.08 for tax, I would scrounge around my car for the rest, or put one of the ramen back.

Dozen eggs, loaf of bread, 5 containers of yogurt, gallon of milk and 3 $.25 packs of ramen noodles.

Since that would only leave me about $.08 for tax, I would scrounge around my car for the rest, or put one of the ramen back.

Where do you pay sales tax on food? I'm frankly pretty cheap and I've seen Top Ramen at Dollar Tree in 5-packs.

Own brand pasta (30p for 500g) and a jar of own brand pesto (£1) to start with. Boring, but will give you calories to get you through the week. Loaf of bread and some butter. Then any fruit or veggies that are offer to snack on.

Where do you pay sales tax on food? I'm frankly pretty cheap and I've seen Top Ramen at Dollar Tree in 5-packs.

Illinois - 10% in my county/area, with Chicago having it's own tax rate.

You should have seen the look on my face the first time I brought at dollar in from the car to buy a $.99 coffee at the gas station on my first day of work in Illinois 8 years ago. The cashier said "$1.10" and I was like why are you charging me tax for FOOD??!!! He looked at me like *I* was the crazy one lol

Apparently, in IL, you are taxed or charged for EVERYTHING, and the tax rate goes by county/city, so it's different depending on where you are.

Big shock for me....in Michigan where I was born and raised and lived until I was 35, it's a straight 6%, and (non-prepared) food is tax-exempt.

Does anyone want to mail me some groceries? Paying postage might be cheaper than shopping here. Right now, large eggs are $2.69 a dozen, 2% milk is $3.85 a gallon, and nasty cheap store bread is $1.99 a loaf, PB is $2.50 on sale for a 13oz. jar (store brand is $1.99 but it's gross). Campbell's soup is $1.29-$1.99 a can; store brand is 99 cents a can. This is at the "regular" grocery store; we don't have chains like Aldi or bulk-food stores here.

Chicken thighs are $1.69 a pound, so I'd get a couple of pounds ($3.38). Maybe 2 pounds of pasta (99 cents a pound, so $1.98) and two cans of pasta sauce (Hunt's, 99 cents a can, so another $1.98). That's $7.34. Hmmm... maybe only one pound of pasta (I can't eat much of it since I had surgery) and use the $1.65 for some old, tired, wilted, marked-down veggies to add to that sauce, or split it between tired veggies and out-of-date rolls or bread.
The prices in my local Stop and Shop are about the same as yours. For $8 I'd be able to buy a dozen eggs, a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.

Ramen, eggs, carrots, dry beans, potatoes, day old bread, crappy american cheese slices ($1.15 at Kroger).

I'm in Ontario, Canada. I'm basing my prices off local grocery flyers (I shop at the store that price matches, so I'm pulling from multiple flyers).

18 eggs - $2.88 (good sale, normally they are $2.27/doz)
pasta (900g) x 2 - $1.76
frozen mixed veg (1kg) - $2.49
1lb bananas (that's about 3 bananas) - $0.59

That puts me at $7.72. It's also 1260 calories per day. It wouldn't be fun, but it would be possible. It's a lot of carbs, but it would be feasible for a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter