You can now add a dining plan?!

MikeTaylor

Freelance contributor to wdwinfo.com!
I'm going through options and they're letting me add the dining plan staying at the Fort. When did this start?

You've always been able to add the dining plan when staying at the Fort. It's the free dining on the campsites that never exists.

We opt out of the dining plan because I save a big chunk of change by doing most of my own cooking.

Lots of others do the same but some still pick it up.

I'm going through options and they're letting me add the dining plan staying at the Fort. When did this start?

The DDP is a money maker for Disney, so they will let anyone on property add it. Our oop costs 'never' add up to near the plan costs and we eat all our meals out. We just don't 'dine' the way the plan is set up - desserts and drinks with every meal, etc. Don't like 'having' to make all those ADR's either to ensure a TS. We make a few favorites, but wing the rest mostly as CS.

You've always been able to add the dining plan when staying at the Fort. It's the free dining on the campsites that never exists.

We opt out of the dining plan because I save a big chunk of change by doing most of my own cooking.

Lots of others do the same but some still pick it up.

We went with the dining plan last year, when we were being park ninja's. This year we will be back at the trailer for more dinners as we are staying longer and the heat in Sept changes your park strategy. So no dining plan this year.

Ah, well, I knew it was something... yeah... free dining is never offered at the campsites.

When figuring DDP, even with quick service, it's now $41.31 per adult per day, and at Magic Kingdom for example, two meals at $12.99 (CHH/Peco's), two snacks (dole whip and chip n dale trail mix) throughout the day at $4.49 with tax is $37.05... as long as you never order the $3.29 sodas at your meals, you're saving money. I figure save that $6.58 for a rum dole whip at AK!

We'll end up fixing breakfast in the RV, so if we decide to eat something at the parks, it'll be around lunch time and then maybe head back for a two-piece chicken we'll share from Trail's End take out.

We did the DDP plan once. While it was nice to not have to worry (as much) about paying for the meals, I didn't find it cost effective for our style of eating. We had to TRY and use all the credits (and were unsuccessful at that) and we did not eat that much at the campsite either. I guess it's different strokes for different folks. :D

Our travel agent said she never recommends the dining plan to her clients staying at the Fort - simply for the fact that it is expected that we will eat at least one meal a day at our camper.

Our travel agent said she never recommends the dining plan to her clients staying at the Fort - simply for the fact that it is expected that we will eat at least one meal a day at our camper.
I think that is one of the appealing things at the fort.... Being able to have a normal "Home Cooked" meal (so to speak). Even if you don't go to over board. At the fort, we will often have breakfast. Have the ability to easily keep/bring "Snacks" with us to the parks, and even Lunch if it's little more than a sandwich. At "hotels" you virtually have to eat ALL meals "out" and not only can it take it's toll on the waste line (and I really don't need any more help on that) it certainly can take a toll on the wallet (whether it's a Dining plan or Cash/Credit out of pocket).

I think that is one of the appealing things at the fort.... Being able to have a normal "Home Cooked" meal (so to speak). Even if you don't go to over board. At the fort, we will often have breakfast. Have the ability to easily keep/bring "Snacks" with us to the parks, and even Lunch if it's little more than a sandwich. At "hotels" you virtually have to eat ALL meals "out" and not only can it take it's toll on the waste line (and I really don't need any more help on that) it certainly can take a toll on the wallet (whether it's a Dining plan or Cash/Credit out of pocket).

Oh, I agree. We never get the dining plan anyway as we dont typically eat enough of the food to make it worth it. And I plan on doing all breakfasts at our camper....just like our Travel Agent said usually happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter