• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yoga...anyone done it?

cinmell

DIS Veteran
Hi everybody! Has anyone tried yoga? If so, did you like it and do you feel like it helped you get in shape? I've tried Pilates which was hard! I'm going to try it again but I was wondering if I should try my hand at yoga too. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I've been doing yoga for about 9 years now. I started out with a book and some video tapes then I started taking a class. I would read up on it first as there are many different styles of yoga( I do Kundalini Yoga - classic stretching postures & breathing exercises combined with chanting and meditation ). I would also try out different classes untill you find the right one. I think it's really important to take at least a few classes before trying it on your own as the teacher can help you do the poses right-they can be hard to figure out from a tape or book.

Thanks for you advice! I bought a dvd yesterday but maybe I'll look into classes now.

are to go to the library and pick up some yoga workouts to try. I have been practicing yoga once or twice a week since Jan. I really like it and can finally tell a difference in my flexibility. Now when I don't I feel tight and I miss it!

Denise Austin and Kathy Smith both have good pilates with lots of instructions so I would think a yoga one by them would be good for learning the poses too. I also go to the Y for a basic yoga and that's really where I learned the poses.

Most of all - give it a few weeks before deciding how well you like it. It takes a bit to learn the poses and strengthen up to be able to hold them.

I used to do yoga at my apartment complex once a week for over a year until they stopped the classes. I enjoyed it somewhat but not enough to make me look for another class - I think part of it was the class was almost 2 hours long and I just don't have that kind of time to devote to 1 activity. Also I didn't see any great physical changes like I do with pilates. I agree - try different classes and teachers to see if there is one that fits you. There are so many different kinds of yoga that it may take a try or two.

Also which pilates are you doing? I love my Winsor set and she always has someone modify the moves until you build up your strength. I used to do them 5/6 times a week but now only need about 3/4 to maintain what I started.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter