YIKES. It’s (3/12) So busy! Planning and FP are so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile ordering really helped us. My husband and kids would go find a table, and I would go pick up the order. However we also made sure not to lunch or dinner at peak times (I have little kids also, so they just do better with earlier lunches and earlier dinners). We did a few TS as well over the week, but doing it a lot would have gotten really pricey. I think we did 1 pre-order QS (BOG) and 3 TS (1 of which was at Springs) over the course of 6 park days.

Fortunately there are a lot of options that most everyone can make work for them!

I agree with everyone that believes it should be day of fast passes. I am in the travel business, and most people don't have a clue about how to even get a fast pass let alone getting one months ahead of time! It is so unfair for people that might come to Disney for one day in the middle of a beach trip or whatever. Most families I know are not planners like me, so they don't even want to do all this planning. And when you are on the Disney vacation, a lot of times you need to change your plans for weather, or meeting up with other people etc. With this FP system you can't do that or you are w/o anything! We are heading to Epcot next week and not that worried about FP's there. Now the family wants to go to MK that night too. Well now I don't have any FP's so I have to try to scramble with the App, checking, checking to try to get some. It's not fun at all!

Ditto, but it's just two of us usually.
When it was just DH & I, I was never bothered by the crowds & thought ppl sho complained just didn’t know what they were doing. We also used to wait out crowds & go as late as possible or pay for late night after hours events. But now that we have a young DS, I see why so many ppl are frustrated. We still go & enjoy ourselves but do things to mitigate the crowds as much as possible like staying on monorail & eating table service. When we have tried to go with family & friends & larger groups, the crowds get even more challenging. Thanksgiving we were circling at Pecos Bill constantly looking for seating b/c it was 10 of us. We willing to sit apart, but there just weren’t any open seats much less 10. We found ourselves hovering around ppl who looked like they were about to be finished. Now that’s just ridiculous! This was not at noon but like 2:30pm.

I agree with everyone that believes it should be day of fast passes. I am in the travel business, and most people don't have a clue about how to even get a fast pass let alone getting one months ahead of time! It is so unfair for people that might come to Disney for one day in the middle of a beach trip or whatever. Most families I know are not planners like me, so they don't even want to do all this planning. And when you are on the Disney vacation, a lot of times you need to change your plans for weather, or meeting up with other people etc. With this FP system you can't do that or you are w/o anything! We are heading to Epcot next week and not that worried about FP's there. Now the family wants to go to MK that night too. Well now I don't have any FP's so I have to try to scramble with the App, checking, checking to try to get some. It's not fun at all!
Right but wdw banks on ppl not knowing. If everyone knew about FP, then the lines would be same length as standby.

ETA: Even with same day FPs for everyone there would still be limited availability by the time you get to Mk in the evening. At least with the current system, you can start checking for FPs at MK on your way to MK. God knows you’ll have plenty of time waiting for WDW transportation.

I remember going in March in 2008 and 2009 and the crowds were very low, as long as it didn't coincide with Easter week. Even with it being "spring break."
The difference is most schools back then all took spring break either the week before Easter or the week after Easter, then they all decided that they should spread it out more in order to try to breakup the massive "spring break" parties and such.

If no one has used their FPs and there were no FPs 60 or 30 days out, shouldn't it still be hard to get FP then? Especially for rides like FOP?
I was thinking the same thing...I have looked for SDD and 7DMT right at 30 days and nothing. I have checked everyday since then and still never see them

It's not ITs failure. It's an employee benefit policy.

I can't. This is just a really really weird argument.

ETA - it's very possible that I just don't understand CM guest passes because I've never gotten one. If it's not actually the policy and just an IT issue, that sucks.
Actually, the CM themselves can book as many days as they have a reservation, but the guest passes cannot be assigned to anyone, which means they are limited to the three days per pass that any "unassigned ticket" would be limited to and apparently this is an IT issue not being able to figure out how to allow CMs to temporarily assign guest passes to a person, not a policy issue.

Ugh, this is making me nervous. We will be there the last week of March. Staying off site, so we only got to make fast passes 30 days out and of course we didn't get SDD or FOP. No 7DMT either but we are doing MK EMM so that will take care of that. We have four days and my husband enjoys Disney but really likes to relax and kick back at the condo so we prefer to get up and go to the parks and then be back at the condo to relax by early/mid evening.

I've got our FP's, have set up personalized plans on touringplans and am trying to figure out the refresh trick. I hope we aren't just standing in lines all day, every day.

Does refreshing for same day FP's during busy times like today still work? I'd say yes.

View attachment 387915 View attachment 387916 View attachment 387917 View attachment 387918

Well seeing is believing! Thank you for posting pictures because frankly I really didn't believe those who said refresh works great even during busy park times. Especially since most posted didn't include what days they were at the parks ~because there def. are still busier times at WDW than other times.

To avoid looking at my phone all day refreshing~ which would drive DH crazy~ I decided to stay at a non Disney property to save a boat load of $ and use the extra $ to purchase two after hours park tickets (MK and AK) and a one day park hopper with a Toystory Morning hour ticket. It's saving us money and hopefully a lot of aggravation with lines. On the park hopper day I will do a bit of refreshing just to see if what people are posting is in fact true for last week of March.

Last edited:
Not at all, having used both systems quite extensively, I can tell you that Disneyland's system (which is what I describe) is far superior and you can get far more done in a single day.

Don't forget to say IMO. I couldn't disagree more. The old system at WDW (which I think is the same that DL currently uses) is horrible IMO. I can get far more done with the existing FP+ system.

To avoid looking at my phone all day refreshing~ which would drive DH crazy~ I decided to stay at a non Disney property to save a boat load of $ and use the extra $ to purchase two after hours park tickets (MK and AK) and a one day park hopper with a Toystory Morning hour ticket. It's saving us money and hopefully a lot of aggravation with lines. On the park hopper day I will do a bit of refreshing just to see if what people are posting is in fact true for last week of March.

We have thought about doing something like this. It is weird that this could be more expensive than buying 10-day park hopper tickets, and you only get 3 days in the parks, but at least you can enjoy most of that time. But I would be worried that this puts too much pressure on a single day, or even a single hour for HS EMM.

Actually, the CM themselves can book as many days as they have a reservation, but the guest passes cannot be assigned to anyone, which means they are limited to the three days per pass that any "unassigned ticket" would be limited to and apparently this is an IT issue not being able to figure out how to allow CMs to temporarily assign guest passes to a person, not a policy issue.
Interesting, interesting. Not something I knew, I admit. Though that does seem like it affects a small population of people. I definitely agree that it sucks. I wouldn't call that a complete failure of a system though, personally.

We have thought about doing something like this. It is weird that this could be more expensive than buying 10-day park hopper tickets, and you only get 3 days in the parks, but at least you can enjoy most of that time. But I would be worried that this puts too much pressure on a single day, or even a single hour for HS EMM.

This isn't the best plan for everyone but best for us. We've been many times to WDW and will be going for three more years during spring break to watch our kids play high school ball at ESPN. There are only certain rides my teens like, and DH and DS would rather not go at all to the parks, but I'm trying to hit some parks as a family on every trip since it's coming to an end. I have always loved Disney but that is waning with the crowds and expense. We now stay at a beautiful condo on Disney property and enjoy the time doing things outside of the parks for the most part.

When it was just DH & I, I was never bothered by the crowds & thought ppl sho complained just didn’t know what they were doing. We also used to wait out crowds & go as late as possible or pay for late night after hours events. But now that we have a young DS, I see why so many ppl are frustrated. We still go & enjoy ourselves but do things to mitigate the crowds as much as possible like staying on monorail & eating table service. When we have tried to go with family & friends & larger groups, the crowds get even more challenging. Thanksgiving we were circling at Pecos Bill constantly looking for seating b/c it was 10 of us. We willing to sit apart, but there just weren’t any open seats much less 10. We found ourselves hovering around ppl who looked like they were about to be finished. Now that’s just ridiculous! This was not at noon but like 2:30pm.

I definitely understand it's harder with larger groups and small kids.

So I've read threads before on FP and refreshing, but I'm still confused. Is refreshing basically just going in and modifying and checking for different times over and over again? You are not actually refreshing the screen are you? And if so, how?

Really?? We used it several times on our recent trip and it was awesome. At most places there was no one in front of me at all and was ready in moments. I think one place where it doesn't work at all is Aloha Aisle because they can't really make things ahead of time for you, since it will melt and all that.
We found Aloha Isle to be the best place to use mobile ordering. That line can get real long, so instead of standing in line we just stand next to the line, mobile order dole whips and wait by the pick up counter. Usually can get them in about a minute compared to waiting in a 20-30 minute line.

I really hate how much I'm seeing Disney advertise mobile ordering, it even pops up when you open the app, or reminds you when you are near a mobile ordering location. The glory days of mobile ordering will be over soon I fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter