• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yikes! I need cruise clothes!

WebmasterKathy

Administrator
Administrator
I'm leaving for a Caribbean cruise in three weeks- Woo-Hoo!

But, somehow, I kind of spaced out about the wardrobe. I guess I just planned to pack my "usual". I have several formal outfits and some tropical sundresses that I wore on the last couple of cruises, and I suppose in the back of my mind I had just planned to toss them in a bag and go. The only problem is, I forgot that I'm not the same size anymore! I tried on one of the dresses tonight, and it just won't work. Too big all over.

I guess I'm going to spend the weekend shopping (not one of my favorite things:rolleyes: ). I think I can salvage the more simple sundresses by having a tailor take them in... has anyone had much luck with things like this?

I'm just tall enough that regular sizes don't fit well, so buying from consignment stores or eBay probably wouldn't work too well.

What do you do when you really need some clothes, you want to look and feel good in them, but you don't plan to stay in that size for very long? Just bite the bullet and invest lots of $$ in a "throwaway" wardrobe?

(I wish some of my WISH girlfriends lived nearby so I could force them to endure the torture of shopping with me. :teeth: )

Oh Kathy...I would love to go shopping with you...I will be there with you in spirit!!! My advice is to start at Target. They have some really good sundresses and stuff. And it really isn't that expensive...keep going back after you buy stuff...b/c things go on sale there all the time...and they will give you a price adjustment.

Just pop into the department stores during the week at the mall...and here is my rule...if its not on sale...DONT buy it...UNLESS (you knew I would have a way out of my rule)....you can wear it forever...like the perfect top or bathing suit coverup or something very basic...that if you lose more weight it wont matter.

Have Fun...Good Luck

Tracy

Hit the sales racks! Go to TJMaxx or Ross or Burlington Coat Factory!!!! Look through as many discount stores as you can! It can be a pain sometimes, but there are usually really pretty treasures hidden away that you can buy and enjoy without breaking the bank!

My best "shopping" happens when I am just out browsing without the intention of buying anything. My worst shopping happens when I have a good idea of what I want or need! When I am just out browsing, everything is on sale and I see all sorts of cute stuff. When I am out SHOPPING, nothing is on sale and it's all gross clothes! So just go out really casually a few times and see what pops up!

Have fun! Oh, shopping for a cruise has got to be fun! :) Let us know what you get! :)

Originally posted by TigH
My best "shopping" happens when I am just out browsing without the intention of buying anything. My worst shopping happens when I have a good idea of what I want or need! When I am just out browsing, everything is on sale and I see all sorts of cute stuff. When I am out SHOPPING, nothing is on sale and it's all gross clothes! So just go out really casually a few times and see what pops up!

LOL, Tig! This sounds a bit like hunting. You have to SNEAK up on the prey!!

That's a wonderful problem! :) But it can be stressful, can't it?

If you can take in the dresses, that should be good for most dinners. During the day time you can mix & match & reuse, because you won't see the same people all the time (except for your family & don't let them abuse you!).

Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, target - all great ideas! Often the stuff at the first 3 is really nice, but CHEAP! Look for basic black (or tan, maybe, if it works better for you) for shorts & pants and mix it up with some colors or prints on top. You'll spend less if you can switch things around than if you try to buy outfits.

Have fun shopping!

I remembered you posted you were about 5'10"- have you ever checked out www.hannaandersson.com - they have a sale section called Hanna's Attic where I bought some pants and jacket for under $10 a piece. You have to check often to find the savings- but their clothes last so well and are SOOO comfortable- but also their pants are so long on me and I'm 5'7 almost 5'8. Don't know if it could help you for this trip- but they do ship fast and you get it in about 4 days. Have fun shopping- I really hate trying things on and can't stand the "smell" of department stores- I'm in and out of there very fast! But what a reward to someone who's worked sooo hard!!!
Tara

Kathy, I'd love to go shopping with you, too!!

Now these gals are obviously giving you great advice. I only want to add one thing -- when you go shopping, enjoy yourself! :) Enjoy being in a new, tinier size and how great it makes you feel!! Even though you know you're going to keep on losing weight, think about how great you look and feel right now (and how good you're gonna look on the cruise) and maybe you won't hate the shopping trip so much! :teeth:

Let us know how it goes!

I am so excited for you...you have lost a lot of weight, AND you are going on a cruise! Cruising is my families favorite way to travel, and over time we have learned to really pack light. We do laundry on every vacation we take because then we don't lug so much stuff around and we don't come back home with dirty clothes to deal with. So, if you don't mind doing some laundry you would not need to worry about buying an entire new wardrobe for the length of your cruise. I would suggest mix and match, as has already been suggested...black,tan and white, or black, navy and white make a great basic color scheme for cruise wear. If you are going for a week, three pairs of shorts should be more than adequate. Capri's work well for most evenings in the dining room, and can be worn in the day, or during shore excursions as well. A light sundress can also get you some mileage. One swimsuit is adequate...I have heard of people bringing 2-3 swimsuits apiece on cruises, and I have never figured out why. One simple black dress should suffice for the 1-2 formal nights you will have, and scarves or jewlery can change the look. I would suggest bringing one neutral, light cardigan sweater that can be worn with any of your bottoms, or dresses as I am sure you are aware that air conditioning on ships can make you down right cold. You do not need to invest a lot of money in a new wardrobe, and others have already given some great store ideas where you can purchase items for lower cost. Also, I would suggest you not focusing on tropical looking clothes, like I see some do on cruises. Just get some basics that look smart and, since we are heading into summer, that you can wear at home in the coming months.

Have a great time on your trip, and stay away from those midnight buffets:)!

Linda

ooh - ooh! I love shopping!!!

Here's a couple of great internet sites that have some wonderful tropical clothes! I can't wait til I'm down a couple of sizes and I can order from them! :)
A.B. Lambdin
Paradise on a Hanger

Congratulations on your weight loss

Doc told me this morn I need to loose 20lbs. We cruise in 5.5months. Hopefully I'll be needing new clothes too. Im planning on needing a new slinky black dress- ya, that's my goal

Hi Kathy!! :teeth:
Okay - I stink at shopping and I have never been on a cruise. So, what kind of advice can I offer? None! I just wanted to know if we could come along with you! I'll show you some pilates moves. You can introduce me to cruising! What do you think?? I bet we could go shopping on the cruise!!

From someone who has gone from a 54 to a 34, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!

What I did was simply to buy one or two things as CHEAP as I could find them, and just keep washing them. I bought LOTS of T-Shirts since those are pretty flexible with sizes, and I'm still able to wear them.

I had one or two pairs of jeans that I'd buy as cheaply as possible. Nothing over $15, unless they were a *****IN' pair of jeans.

And I had this EXACT problem because I went to Florida in the middle of losing the weight. I bought two pair of shorts, and a pair of athletic pants with the zipper at the knees so they could function as a third pair of shorts, and pants if the weather got a little cooler.

If you need sundresses, as people said, check out TJMaxx, and Marshall's. Go into ANY store and go to the back to the clearance racks. Sometimes damaged things that are unnoticeably damaged are being given away. I don't know about women's wear, but Target already has men's summer wear for 50% off.

Good luck!

Ok, admit it, there is a little bit inside of you at least that is saying - hey! look at me I get to buy SMALLER clothes!

I'm in the same boat (oops no pun intended) we sail June 21st and I knew I couldn't wait forever - my closet was literally EMPTY. So I went out and bought the summer clothes I wanted. And as I mentioned in an earlier post it was fun! Because I didn't have to go to the "women's" department but could buy my favorites brands in regular sizes.

As for the still on the journey to an even smaller size - I bit the bullet. With 28 pounds to go until my final ultimate goal I figured that while these will get looser and should, at that point, be too big to be really wearable any more they are summer clothes and summer clothes somehow seem more disposable. Also I figured that the tops are probably going to be ok - if a bit loose. Will mainly be the capris and shorts.

As for tailoring check cost carefully before deciding unless you can do the alterations yourself or have a friend that will do them. DH lost 30 pounds (reached his goal) and decided to have 2 pair of really good pants and his tux (pants & jacket) altered. $145! Worth it for those items as they were all quite expensive to begin with and relatively new. And the $145 was less than replacing. But check before committing.

Deb

You guys are too much!! I'm actually looking forward to going shopping this weekend now!

Thanks so much for the ideas here. I really like the color scheme ideas- I'll go with black, white and khaki/tan, with a little blue thrown in. I have strappy heeled sandals plus comfy shoes in both colors, and I really like the mix and match notion.

Linda- you'll love this one: free dry-cleaning and laundry on the cruise! I can send my clothes out to be cleaned every day! That's about the greatest perk I can imagine. :cool:

I went online and ordered some cropped pants in tan and in black today, and some summery tops in tan, white and black. (See, you got me so ready to shop that I couldn't wait! Online shopping ROCKS!) I ordered the pants from Eddie Bauer, mostly because I have a couple pair of EB khakis that fit well, so I know the size is good.

Rhonda- I LOVE Paradise on a Hanger! In fact, one of the dresses I'm having altered is theirs. It's this one:
PF091M.jpg

Comfy and festive!

Terry- of course you can sneak onto the ship with us! We could have one rowdy party. :crazy: But there will be no exercising on vacation!!!

So now, thanks to your help (ALL of you!:p ), I'm planning a guerilla shopping outing this weekend. I can hit Target (great suggestion, and it wouldn't have occurred to me), Marshall's, TJMaxx, and a couple of outlets nearby. It sounds like my marching orders are: smart casual pieces in basic colors that mix and match.

Thank you all for the great suggestions and pep talk. I feel ready. Bring on the sale racks!

Kathy, I only have 1 suggestion.... put in a copy of the movie "pretty woman" then go to the scene were she is shopping away---- you know the scene, goes with the song Pretty Woman----- and then go and hit the stores. HAVE FUN!!!! And find Richard gere's credit card!LOL!!!

Just have fun shopping, enjoy it, it is a pleasure you have earned! :cool:

the line no exercising while on vacation. Now, I loved walking those decks and the stretch classes were fabulous! I just don't have time at home to be "okay, I'll get up and do it when I want" and it was a pleasure to just have that option. I actually lost 5 lbs. on our first cruise and it was a blast and I ate soooooo well! Okay, so you don't plan to do that, but I bet you do!!!!!

I used to shop and can't say that I like it much anymore, but maybe when I am at goal, I will like that my DH likes to shop for me. I had been saying oh I just need tops as I didn't want him to have to be looking for the size I was wearing in pants- next holiday I hope to be saying "i'd like an outfit, size 10 would work".

Sounds like you got the shopping under control can't wait to hear about the bargains and finds! did you see the O show - she just did favorite things of springs and those lucky duck audience members got it all for free but anyway - she had some of the cutest shoe/thongs and if you go to her site it will say how to order on line to complete your outfit. l loved the flower ones!!

Good luck and happy shopping !!

Originally posted by AlreadyexcitedGrammy
the line no exercising while on vacation.

Oh, Bev, if you only knew how that awful GEETEY constantly harrasses me about the exercise!!! :teeth:

(Just kidding, Terry! Don't come over here to beat me up! Here- I'll burn some calories: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: )
:jester:

Originally posted by AlreadyexcitedGrammy
thought Sat was the big day and we would have an update by now. Did you go?

Bev- I went shopping today, and I made a pretty decent haul! I don't remember EVER buying this much stuff at one time before, and it feels pretty good to have the closet stocked with some stuff I can actually wear!

It helped a lot to have my WISH buds here advise me and help with a plan. I just don't have the "shopping gene", so I have to thank everyone who helped with the advice and pep talks!

As wisely suggested here, I concentrated mostly on one color scheme (black and khaki/tan), and that sure made it easy to zero in on what I wanted.

Here are some of the things I picked up:
* capris/cropped pants in black, tan, chambray and navy.
* shells/lightweight sleeveless sweaters in black, white and tan.
* longsleeved linen shirts in tan and black (perfect to wear as light jackets for casual dinners)
* a cute chambray sundress
* a long sleeveless black dress, matte jersey. Easy to dress up or down with wraps and accessories.
* shortsleeved shirts in white, and a yellow floral print
* slinky matte jersey long pants and shell (makes a formal outfit with a sheer beaded black duster I already own, or a casual dinner outfit topped by the tan linen shirt.)

I shopped today at JCPenney, August Max Woman/Casual Corner, and Dillard's. There are some GREAT sales out there this weekend! (A great sale at JCP, with an additional 15% off if you use your JCP card. And did you know that August Max Woman and Casual corner have a AAA discount?)

I'm planning to run out tomorrow and look for a couple more sundresses, some shorts, shortsleeved or sleeveless tops, maybe a pair of really comfortable white sandals, a belt that works with the black jersey pieces, some new "unmentionables". ;) I'm feeling pretty good about today's shopping- now I only have to fill in a few blanks!

After we get the cruise/playtime wardrobe stocked, will y'all help me with my work wardrobe? (Shouldn't be too hard, I pretty much live in khakis these days.)
:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter