• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yikes, Help! Wilderness Lodge

bumpysheep

Mouseketeer
I have two up coming trips planned. One in late April where both of my travel companions have service dogs. Have anyone every traveled with this many SDs in a group?

I am Autistic dx'd when I was 2 and I am now 24. I am now high functioning, but I have a difficult time with lines, crowds, fatigue and heat and sunsensitivty due to juvenile diabetes and an MS like condition. I am not planning on bring my scooter for the first trip (it's a birthday present!) as we will only be at the parks 3 days and will spend lots of time relaxing at the resort. I also use a service dog for various tasks. Should I see if my mother can get my doctor to write a note for a GAC that I can use if I need it?

Secondly, my other trip is with my sister who also has MS and her son who has mild Autism. On that trip we thought about just bring my scooter and switching between us but for an entire week I will likely need it part-time at least and she needs one full time otherwise she can only walk about 40ft with arm crutches. It is so expensive to rent for a whole week, but we mayb have to do that. How expensive is that. We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge for 6 nights and 7 days. Should we get GAC cards for all three of us or just her son and I? I'll have my service dog on both trips?

Anyone have experince with WL and scooters/EVCs, how did it work out? Thanks!

First of all, welcome to both DisBoards and disABILTIES. You will probably find a lot of help here.

An offsite ECV rental is usually under $200 for a week. This gives a lot more freedom and is a lot more maneuverable than the park rentals. If you go up to the disABILITIES index (list of threads) you will see a disABILITIES FAQ which has lots of information.

The GAC is given for "invisible" disabilities; it appears that you would easily qualify to get one. You do not need a note from a doctor; just go to Guest Services at the first Park and explain your needs. The GAC will be valid for all four Parks for your length of stay. A GAC will not be given for mobility/stamina problems; the response for that is to rent either a wheelchair or ECV.

I know that service dogs for blind are allowed, but there might be some restrictions in the parks. There are others in this Forum who know a lot more about that than I do, but conceivably yours might not be allowed.

You will find that for accessibility WDW cannot be beaten. There are curb cuts and ramps everywhere and almost all entrance doors are automatic or have a button.

I have seen all sorts of service dogs at WDW, not just those for the blind. They do have specific areas for you to take them to potty and they cannot go on some rides. The castmembers will not hold them for you so one person in your group would need to stay with the dog for these rides. Be sure to bring your dogs papers stating it is a service dog as well as its shot record.

Cheshire Figment said:
First of all, welcome to both DisBoards and disABILTIES. You will probably find a lot of help here.

An offsite ECV rental is usually under $200 for a week. This gives a lot more freedom and is a lot more maneuverable than the park rentals. If you go up to the disABILITIES index (list of threads) you will see a disABILITIES FAQ which has lots of information.

The GAC is given for "invisible" disabilities; it appears that you would easily qualify to get one. You do not need a note from a doctor; just go to Guest Services at the first Park and explain your needs. The GAC will be valid for all four Parks for your length of stay. A GAC will not be given for mobility/stamina problems; the response for that is to rent either a wheelchair or ECV.

I know that service dogs for blind are allowed, but there might be some restrictions in the parks. There are others in this Forum who know a lot more about that than I do, but conceivably yours might not be allowed.

You will find that for accessibility WDW cannot be beaten. There are curb cuts and ramps everywhere and almost all entrance doors are automatic or have a button.

Thank you for your reply. I know ALL service dogs are allowed per ADA, guide dogs are just one type of service dog and the most easily recognised. People are forever thinking I'm blind and if they catch me on a day with a migraine I just let them think that since mostly I am! I'm on the board of a service dog organization and hope to one day be able to be a trainer in training. Not bad for a person who did not talk until after age 8.

My sister (actually a cousin that grew up in my house and we are as close as sisters) will not be bringing her scooter/evc. How much is it to rent one at the parks? We were thinking I could fly down with my scooter and only rent one at the parks and she could use mine the rest of the time. How much is renting them at the parks? We are only planning to do WDW parks 4 or 5 of the days.

I rarely go on vacation with out my mother, but I really have been wanting a trip to Disney and she won't go and my sister agreed to it. Only right after two other service dog users decided to take me as a late B-day present. I feel so spoiled. The trip with my sister we will be at wilderness lodge in a Woods view room. If we rent an EVC can it fit both mine and hers, and medical equipment and all 3 of US?

I have heard WDW is very accessible and accomodating so we are very excited since all of us have special needs.

I have a VERY hard time verbalising things, espically my needs. It would be near immpossible for me to go to guest services myself and do this. Would bringing a doctors note help since I may not be able to say (verbalise) much at the time?

I am so excited about going but I do not do well with new circumstances and people and don't want to find myself unable to get a GAC and then not enjoy Disney.

Thanks for the welcome!

Talking Hands said:
I have seen all sorts of service dogs at WDW,

Are service dogs allowed at Animal Kingdom?

I assume that the animals there would not know the difference between a service dog and a non-service dog. However well the service dog was trained, I suspect other animals would become distressed.

Andrew

If you click on this link it will take you to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
The second entry on that thread has information about renting wheelchairs and ecvs from the various places.
The 4th entry on that thread haws a link to the official Disney website, where you can download a copy of the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. The page includes a list of attractions where service animals are not allowed. Interestingly, at AK, it's not the attractions you might expect (with animals). It's things like Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids and Primeval Whirl. The only "animal oriented" attraction where they are not allowed is the Affection Station at Rafiki's Planet Watch.

Andrew Bichard said:
Are service dogs allowed at Animal Kingdom?

I assume that the animals there would not know the difference between a service dog and a non-service dog. However well the service dog was trained, I suspect other animals would become distressed.

Andrew

Yes. I do know that all FOUR people I know that have been to AK have been required to strap down their dog on Kalamajaro Safaris though.

Most dogs get exposed to the zoo and other animals on a regular basis during training. Often though the cats at the Philly zoo get a bit distressed and we quickly move on. As long as your SD has been properly trained and exposed to that sort of situation and the handler has enough sense that if another animal is showing signs of stress you you on.

Personally my service dog enjoys the Polar bear at the Philly Zoo, kids always love taking photos of my dogs paw on the glass with their Polar bear giving him a high five. My service dog also loves chimps, gorillas and red pandas and they all love him back. I have a feel Animal Kingdom will be the best part of our trip.

I have seen them training service dogs at Animal Kingdom. So they are definately allowed. KS is a very rough ride and that may be some of the reason for tethering the dog. My friend and I take her son to our local zoo and the animals pay no attention to her dog. One the other hand we seem to be the attraction for the people. They are shocked to see a guide dog at the zoo. Like why would a legally blind person come to the zoo? Geez! She's like any other parent wanting to take her child to the zoo, except she is deaf-blind. I serve as transport, friend and interpreter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter