• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yet another half termer's highs and lows!

HappyPanda

DIS Veteran
I'm back and I survived! :thumbsup2 Here are my highs and lows from my trip (07.06.12-10.06.12).

I'll start with the lows:

Room at Sequoia Lodge
We were placed in the Yosemite Lodge in room 202, which happens to be a wheelchair access room. This mean that there was no bath, only a wet room with a shower. Olivia is definitely not a water baby and is nowhere near brave enough to brave having a shower, so it meant that I couldn't give her a proper wash during our stay... had to make do with soaping her down by the sink!

The room also had a set of bunk beds (which Olivia loved, as she slept at the top) and the tiniest single bed I've ever seen... this was to be my bed for the stay and I think this in part contributed towards my injury (that I'll go into in more details later on).

I wanted to complain about the room, but Olivia begged me not to, as she loved the bunk beds. :rotfl2: So I didn't, but still a bit annoyed that we didn't get what we paid for and what is advertised on the website.

Pushing/Queue Jumping/General rudeness of other guests.
I'd like to consider myself to be quite a tolerable person, but nothing could prepare me for the amount of rudeness we encountered on this trip and it really had the potential to ruin the whole trip for us.

Thursday & Friday weren't too bad, but by the weekend it just seemed to escalate (as did the numbers of people in the park!). By far the worst one we had was on the stairs on the way down from the La Cabane des Robinson, an older boy (I'd say he was 9/10) pushed past Olivia and sent her flying down the last few steps. I was just so grateful that she wasn't at the top. His family were behind him and saw what he had down, but they just walked straight past Olivia who was screaming on the ground, without even acknowledging what their Son had done. The lovely French family behind them restored my faith a little though as they stopped to make sure Olivia was ok, which luckily she was).

We also had the normal pushing and shoving at the character meets, blatant queue jumping in the Princess Pavilion and during other rides. I will definitely not be going over a weekend again.

Playhouse Disney/Stitch Live Timings
We might have just been really unlucky, but it seemed like the English shows were few and far between this trip. We only managed Stitch Live once and that was by hanging around for an hour as Olivia insisted we HAD to do it! lol We didn't make PHD at all.

The Parade
I just didn't feel this parade at all, it seemed like a rushed rehash of the old parade, with a few new floats and a new piece of music (which I like!). I normally always get that tingly spine the first time I see the parade, but this time I didn't, it just did nothing for me.

Hurting my shoulder

I think having to carry all the luggage on the first day wasn't a great idea, as I managed to aggravate an old shoulder injury which left me in agony for most of the trip. As I mentioned before, having to sleep on such a small bed didn't exactly help as I had no room to move.

I think that with the amount of pain I was in, led me to be a little bit short with Olivia at times, shouting at her and telling her off for small things that really wouldn't normally of bothered me. :confused3

Ok, enough about the lows - let's move onto the highs!

Character Meals

I am so glad we booked as many character meals as we could as it meant we met a nice selection of characters. By far, the best Character Interaction was in Inventions. (Although I was a little disappointed in the food selection here, there only a very small buffet to choose from.. but then I didn't book this meal for the food! :thumbsup2). We also did Auberge, Cafe Mickey & Cowboy Cookout. All 4 of these resturants will be on our to do list for next time, too!

Pirates of the Carribean

This was closed on our last trip, so we made up for it this time. Think we went on it about 10 times in total! Olivia really enjoyed it and we never had to queue for more than 15 minutes, even at the weekend.

Eurostar

Our whole Journey to and from the magic was so easy and carefree. I just love the Direct Eurostar so much, it really takes all the hassle out of travelling!

Cinderella at the Auberge

Cinderella deserves a special mention, she spent so much time with Olivia and really made Oli feel like a Princess. We also saw Belle & Sleeping Beauty (with her prince), but it was Cinderella who really stood out for me! :thumbsup2

Dreams!

Wow, Wow, Wow! I am so glad that I did not watch the whole thing on YouTube before we went as it meant it was even more mesmerizing for us. We watched it on 2 of our 3 nights. The first night we managed to get a spot on Central Plaza about 20 minutes before showtime. I really don't understand why people were already nabbing their place more than 2 horus before showtime? :confused3 What made this place so fantastic was 1) We had a dead centre view of the show and 2) Everyone stayed sat down for the show so we had a great, unobstructed view! :thumbsup2

The second time we wanted to go to the same spot, but this time the first few rows were stood up so this meant that Olivia wouldn't have been able to see a thing, so we got a place near Adventure land which was also a great spot to watch it from.

DIS meet

Was really nice to have a brief meetup with Jothp and Scampbunny and their wonderful Children. Olivia was talking about Evie for the rest of the trip, she kept calling her "My Disney friend, Evie" :rotfl:

Weather

Seems strange putting this in as a high as we had our fair share of rain, but it could have been a lot worse and apart from those few rain showers, the weather was warm and we even had a few moments of sunshine!

Salon Mickey
Shamefully, due to the late nights, we never actually made it to breakfast on any of our three mornings! :scared1:So we instead used Salon Mickey as our unofficial breakfast location! Was definitely a great perk of being a shareholder.

VIP Fastpass
We had this on Friday, and although we only used it four times, it was still a useful addition to our trip! :thumbsup2

Shareholder's Discount
I think I've definitely saved myself the amount of money that I spent on the shares! It was great to be able to flash my letter (Annoying, my card arrived the day after we left! :rotfl2:), although a little annoying having to wait for them to get their manager to authorise the transaction each time, sometimes this took up to 5 minutes with people giving me evils from behind me in the queue! :rotfl:

I think that about sums up my trip! There were far more highs than lows, but I also feel as though there were more lows than we had encountered on previous trips and it left me feeling like I wasn't sure if this would be our last Disneyland Paris trip :sad2:.

But, Olivia has somehow managed to use her extreme cuteness to beg for a return trip for her 6th birthday in March.. so I think I shall look into taking advantage of the 2 nights free offer and going for 5nights/6days - arriving on a Sunday and leaving on Friday.. avoiding that dreaded Saturday!

You're back! Welcome home :goodvibes

Your lows are very similar to ours. We noticed the daft timings of English shows in the studios too! and we missed 1 English showing because it wasn't on the board!

I feel exactly the same as you about having more highs than lows but still more lows than we've had on previous trips. Lack of characters was high on our list and I don't think it's down to seasons as we've only been in march and October in the past!

We're really in two minds about Christmas now, we were going to go anyway as I've been desperate for a Christmas trip for years but we've decided to go to WDW in 2014 so may forego anymore DLP trips til after then! :sad1:

Welcome back!! Phew, it sounds as if some of it was a bit of an ordeal (particularly the single bed - what a kind mum to put up with that so her DD could have a bunk bed, not sure I would have been as unselfish!) and some very rude guests there. Glad the highs still outweighed the lows. :goodvibes

I'm back and I survived! :thumbsup2 Here are my highs and lows from my trip (07.06.12-10.06.12).

I'll start with the lows:

Room at Sequoia Lodge
We were placed in the Yosemite Lodge in room 202, which happens to be a wheelchair access room. This mean that there was no bath, only a wet room with a shower. Olivia is definitely not a water baby and is nowhere near brave enough to brave having a shower, so it meant that I couldn't give her a proper wash during our stay... had to make do with soaping her down by the sink!

One thing I love about Disney hotels is we are guaranteed a bath to soak in at the end of the day - or so I thought. Poor Olivia, my DS cannot cope with a shower either.

The room also had a set of bunk beds (which Olivia loved, as she slept at the top) and the tiniest single bed I've ever seen... this was to be my bed for the stay and I think this in part contributed towards my injury (that I'll go into in more details later on).

Well, as I said, I admire your selflessness!

I wanted to complain about the room, but Olivia begged me not to, as she loved the bunk beds. :rotfl2: So I didn't, but still a bit annoyed that we didn't get what we paid for and what is advertised on the website.

Pushing/Queue Jumping/General rudeness of other guests.
I'd like to consider myself to be quite a tolerable person, but nothing could prepare me for the amount of rudeness we encountered on this trip and it really had the potential to ruin the whole trip for us.

Thursday & Friday weren't too bad, but by the weekend it just seemed to escalate (as did the numbers of people in the park!). By far the worst one we had was on the stairs on the way down from the La Cabane des Robinson, an older boy (I'd say he was 9/10) pushed past Olivia and sent her flying down the last few steps. I was just so grateful that she wasn't at the top. His family were behind him and saw what he had down, but they just walked straight past Olivia who was screaming on the ground, without even acknowledging what their Son had done. The lovely French family behind them restored my faith a little though as they stopped to make sure Olivia was ok, which luckily she was).

Disgraceful, so sorry for you. Nice to know there are some decent guests there too though.

We also had the normal pushing and shoving at the character meets, blatant queue jumping in the Princess Pavilion and during other rides. I will definitely not be going over a weekend again.

We always try to avoid weekends. With the park open late every night it makes even more sense.

Playhouse Disney/Stitch Live Timings
We might have just been really unlucky, but it seemed like the English shows were few and far between this trip. We only managed Stitch Live once and that was by hanging around for an hour as Olivia insisted we HAD to do it! lol We didn't make PHD at all.

Must admit we have only EVER watched PD in French and watched SL in French too this last trip.

The Parade
I just didn't feel this parade at all, it seemed like a rushed rehash of the old parade, with a few new floats and a new piece of music (which I like!). I normally always get that tingly spine the first time I see the parade, but this time I didn't, it just did nothing for me.

I can't put my finger on this one. I was actually really excited the first time I saw this as I love the bright costumes of the amazing fairies and wizards (how do they control their glide?) and I love the music too (even though we now have to play it over and over in the car for DS). I think it is perhaps because the music doesn't actually develop and many of the floats are the same as before.

Hurting my shoulder

I think having to carry all the luggage on the first day wasn't a great idea, as I managed to aggravate an old shoulder injury which left me in agony for most of the trip. As I mentioned before, having to sleep on such a small bed didn't exactly help as I had no room to move.

I think that with the amount of pain I was in, led me to be a little bit short with Olivia at times, shouting at her and telling her off for small things that really wouldn't normally of bothered me. :confused3

Ok, enough about the lows - let's move onto the highs!

Character Meals

I am so glad we booked as many character meals as we could as it meant we met a nice selection of characters. By far, the best Character Interaction was in Inventions. (Although I was a little disappointed in the food selection here, there only a very small buffet to choose from.. but then I didn't book this meal for the food! :thumbsup2). We also did Auberge, Cafe Mickey & Cowboy Cookout. All 4 of these resturants will be on our to do list for next time, too!

Wow! Four character meals, that's wonderful.

Pirates of the Carribean

This was closed on our last trip, so we made up for it this time. Think we went on it about 10 times in total! Olivia really enjoyed it and we never had to queue for more than 15 minutes, even at the weekend.

Love everything about POTC including the queueing area and not incidentally because we often do just walk straight through it.

Eurostar

Our whole Journey to and from the magic was so easy and carefree. I just love the Direct Eurostar so much, it really takes all the hassle out of travelling!

Cinderella at the Auberge

Cinderella deserves a special mention, she spent so much time with Olivia and really made Oli feel like a Princess. We also saw Belle & Sleeping Beauty (with her prince), but it was Cinderella who really stood out for me! :thumbsup2

There's always one exceptional princess isn't there? This trip we had a great time with Snow White's Evil Queen, just to be different!

Dreams!

Wow, Wow, Wow! I am so glad that I did not watch the whole thing on YouTube before we went as it meant it was even more mesmerizing for us. We watched it on 2 of our 3 nights. The first night we managed to get a spot on Central Plaza about 20 minutes before showtime. I really don't understand why people were already nabbing their place more than 2 horus before showtime? :confused3 What made this place so fantastic was 1) We had a dead centre view of the show and 2) Everyone stayed sat down for the show so we had a great, unobstructed view! :thumbsup2

The second time we wanted to go to the same spot, but this time the first few rows were stood up so this meant that Olivia wouldn't have been able to see a thing, so we got a place near Adventure land which was also a great spot to watch it from.

Agree, agree, agree!

DIS meet

Was really nice to have a brief meetup with Jothp and Scampbunny and their wonderful Children. Olivia was talking about Evie for the rest of the trip, she kept calling her "My Disney friend, Evie" :rotfl:

Weather

Seems strange putting this in as a high as we had our fair share of rain, but it could have been a lot worse and apart from those few rain showers, the weather was warm and we even had a few moments of sunshine!

We felt the same during the first half of the week. Couldn't believe the devastation in my garden when we returned.

Salon Mickey
Shamefully, due to the late nights, we never actually made it to breakfast on any of our three mornings! :scared1:So we instead used Salon Mickey as our unofficial breakfast location! Was definitely a great perk of being a shareholder.

For the same reasons, we were the other way round, late breakfasts meant we either missed Salon Mickey altogether or just scraped in for the left-overs at the end!

VIP Fastpass
We had this on Friday, and although we only used it four times, it was still a useful addition to our trip! :thumbsup2

Shareholder's Discount
I think I've definitely saved myself the amount of money that I spent on the shares! It was great to be able to flash my letter (Annoying, my card arrived the day after we left! :rotfl2:), although a little annoying having to wait for them to get their manager to authorise the transaction each time, sometimes this took up to 5 minutes with people giving me evils from behind me in the queue! :rotfl:

I think that about sums up my trip! There were far more highs than lows, but I also feel as though there were more lows than we had encountered on previous trips and it left me feeling like I wasn't sure if this would be our last Disneyland Paris trip :sad2:.

But, Olivia has somehow managed to use her extreme cuteness to beg for a return trip for her 6th birthday in March.. so I think I shall look into taking advantage of the 2 nights free offer and going for 5nights/6days - arriving on a Sunday and leaving on Friday.. avoiding that dreaded Saturday!

Hope your injury clears up soon. :goodvibes Happy planning for the next trip! :thumbsup2

Welcome back :goodvibes

Shame about your lows. Don't think I'd have put up with just a shower in the bathroom and no double bed though, you did well!

Sitting down to watch Dreams makes perfect sense....if everyone else is sitting down :)

Hope this experience doesn't put you off. I think sometimes when you go back in a short space of time, it doesn't feel the same if you know what I mean :confused3

Hope this experience doesn't put you off. I think sometimes when you go back in a short space of time, it doesn't feel the same if you know what I mean :confused3

I think that's exactly right, our March trip was so magical and had a lot to live up to and this trip just left me feeling a little deflated.

I think if we go back in March I'll go in with low expectations and see if the park can Wow me again! :cloud9:

It was great to meet up with you guys too. My girls were asking when they would see Olivia again too but we didn't spot you before we left. I'm not feeling the normal desperate desire to go back again now we are home. We had a really great trip on the whole but just can't seem to get excited about another trip at the moment either.

Welcome back - I am so annoyed with myself for missing the meet! :mad: I just totally forgot the time even though I'd mentioned to DH to remind me that morning at breakfast - I think because it was our last day I had been concentrating on packing/checking out and doing those things we hadn't managed to do - next thing I knew it was 1.15 pm!! :rolleyes:

I also had similiar lows (and highs!) to you. I am also quite tolerant normally but will say something if someone queue jumps and the like. I saw it happen a few times and it really annoyed me - the 3 grown up (old) people I saw queue jump in Meet Mickey really spoiled that attraction for me as I was seething. For 3 people like that to blatantly push in front of young children who had already been queuing for best part of 20 mins and had another 15 mins to go, is just not on at all! I was all ready to get out of my space and go and find a CM and I threatened said queue jumpers with this - they then decided not to go any further!

I also agree that there was a lack of characters - the organised meets all finished by early afternoon :confused3! And because there was a lack of ad-hoc characters in the main park, the queues were huge. We did 4 character meals too (Auberge, CBCO, Inventions & Cafe Mickey) and I am so pleased we did as my girls would only have seen about 2 or 3 characters otherwise! I have been in high season (August) and low season (end Sept/early Oct) and I have never seen it like that before. I asked at City Hall about character meets and was just directed to the times in the programme.

We never made Princess Pavilion due to 2 hours queue time every time we looked :sad2:. I was happy to wait if the DDs wanted to do it but they didn't due to the wait - think they were happy to meet the Princesses in Auberge.

I also didn't feel the parade quite as much as previous but not sure why? However, my faith was restored when we had a table view at Walts one night and the characters were waving etc at my girls in the window :cool1:.

We all loved Dreams - simply amazing - managed to see it 3 nights out of 5 so was very happy with that. Our best view was definitely the VIP Dreams Dinner area - fab view. Had to laugh at the family of 4 who turned up at 10.55 pm and cut into the roped off area and stood there like nothing was wrong! Needless to say the CM was on them like a rash and threw them out :rotfl:. He then proceeded to do a spot check of people's wristbands - I felt like recommending him for an OBE for being so thorough :lmao:.

Saying all that, overall we had a great time but nothing like the magical time we've had before. The girls still enjoyed it and never once squeaked it wasn't as good but in my heart I didn't feel it as much :sad2:. We are going back in November (flights are booked) but it is a short trip and partly over a weekend (never done a Saturday before and dreading it!). I just want my girls to see Santa and the Christmas part of the parade and that is enough for me :love:. I have always wanted to do DLRP at Christmas and DD1 is getting older (she will be 8.5 yrs Christmas 2013 and I'm just not sure she'll still believe as much so needed to do it this year).

Anyway, I've rambled for long enough!

So sorry to hear about your shoulder - I did think about you and Scampbunny while at DLRP and how you both deserve medals to manage on your own - not sure I could with my two - DD1 perhaps but not DD2 as well! :lmao:

Wow, sounds like a fabulous trip although such a shame about your SL room (you're a better mammy than me because I would have been out of there like a hot! ;) ) and absolutely dreadful behaviour from some guests. Why do people need to be so rude? :confused3

I am loving all the June highs & lows, can't wait for trip reports.

Welcome back, glad you enjoyed most of the trip. Shame about the behaviour of others.

Hope your shoulder heals quickly:hug:

I was all ready to get out of my space and go and find a CM and I threatened said queue jumpers with this - they then decided not to go any further!
Yay! Go you! :rotfl: When we queued up for the Princess Pavilion there was this one woman who kept trying to undertake us on each corner to get ahead of us in the queue. I just kept blocking her way until she finally gave in.

We never made Princess Pavilion due to 2 hours queue time every time we looked :sad2:.
We queued when the waiting time was showing as 60 mins, but it ended up being over 90 mins. Then we ended up seeing Snow White who was the only Princess we had seen in March!!

Had to laugh at the family of 4 who turned up at 10.55 pm and cut into the roped off area and stood there like nothing was wrong! Needless to say the CM was on them like a rash and threw them out :rotfl:. He then proceeded to do a spot check of people's wristbands - I felt like recommending him for an OBE for being so thorough :lmao:.

:banana: We had a similiar incident when queuing up to see Winnie yesterday, we got there just before the queue line closed and we saw about 5/6 people trying to sneak under the rope to get in. But the CM was having none of it and made them get out of the queue. One man took great offence at this and security had to be called!

So sorry to hear about your shoulder - I did think about you and Scampbunny while at DLRP and how you both deserve medals to manage on your own - not sure I could with my two - DD1 perhaps but not DD2 as well! :lmao:

Do you know what? It was a lot easier than I thought. Although she had her moments of naughtiness, on the whole the she was really good for me and it was nice to just have her to worry about and not anyone else. Saying that, I'm not sure I'd do it again though!

I'm not feeling the normal desperate desire to go back again now we are home. We had a really great trip on the whole but just can't seem to get excited about another trip at the moment either.

Strange isn't it? When I got back from my March trip I felt like I had to go back.. ASAP. Now, I'm just feeling as though I wouldn't be overly fussed either way :confused3

Welcome back!! Phew, it sounds as if some of it was a bit of an ordeal (particularly the single bed - what a kind mum to put up with that so her DD could have a bunk bed, not sure I would have been as unselfish!) and some very rude guests there. Glad the highs still outweighed the lows. :goodvibes

She was the first person into the room and her big beaming face when she saw the Bunk Beds melted my heart. When we were at the Cheyenne she was too scared to go up to the top bunk on her own. This time, before I could even blink she had climbed up there and already set her Teddy on the bed ready for bedtime... this made my decision pretty much for me! :rotfl:

I feel exactly the same as you about having more highs than lows but still more lows than we've had on previous trips. Lack of characters was high on our list and I don't think it's down to seasons as we've only been in march and October in the past!

In March we noticed a lack of characters, but we still saw one of two. This time we didn't see any at all. If we hadn't booked the character meals, we'd have only seen a couple of characters.

Hi Helen sounds like you had a good trip all in all :thumbsup2.
Your lows not unlike mine from our jan/feb trip when we got home I just felt a little disappointed, the WOW we always get just not there.
I think the cm could be better and there should be more of them.
We will return one day as its a place I always visited with my children but will probably leave for a few years.
Looking forward to your Tr.
:hug: Rachael x

Welcome back! :goodvibes

Shame about your lows (you deserve a medal for the single bed!) and I'm glad Olivia wasn't hurt. Seems like a good trip overall though.

Shareholders cards do pay for themselves don't they?!! :thumbsup2

Odd they put you in a wheelchair accessible room. I don't know how many they have but you'd think they'd keep unbooked ones free as long as possible in case of a last minute booking from a disabled person.

I'm sure they would have had to have moved you if you asked.

welcome back..... no smiley as im very disney low atm and missing my happy place....

good to read ur highs n lows, mine will b similar, and i also have more info on the characters lack situation....

sorry bout ur shoulder - and well done on being such a good mummy and sticking with the room!!

and well done on doing ur single parent bit :goodvibes

spose best go do my high/lows......

Welcome back! Thanks for sharing your highs and lows and glad there seems to be more highs than lows :goodvibes

Hope your shoulder is better now :hug:

Welcome back :wave2: glad you had a good time overall. I hope your shoulder's better now :hug: and yes, you definitely deserve a medal for not only giving up a long soak in a hot bath but also a double bed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter