• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yesterday's DIS Unplugged show

We only stay at POP Century. Deluxe resort prices are outrageous. Did they do a price comparison between a value resort and DCL? Or, are they just comparing DCL to a deluxe resort?

Oh, ok. I thought once I heard Pete compare DCL prices to the Yacht Club.
They also have occasionally done a price comparison on last minute rooms to last minute dcl, which isn't entirely an apples to apples comp. The $800/night all star shenanigans was a whole thing on the show, when in reality the all star was close to sold out as most of the property was in the middle of the holiday season and Disney uses dynamic pricing like any other business in 2021, including dcl. The prices reflect demand in the products, and simply put there is average to low demand for cruising in 2022. As the latest earnings call shows, demand for the parks is outpacing staffing and scaling.

They also have occasionally done a price comparison on last minute rooms to last minute dcl, which isn't entirely an apples to apples comp. The $800/night all star shenanigans was a whole thing on the show, when in reality the all star was close to sold out as most of the property was in the middle of the holiday season and Disney uses dynamic pricing like any other business in 2021, including dcl. The prices reflect demand in the products, and simply put there is average to low demand for cruising in 2022. As the latest earnings call shows, demand for the parks is outpacing staffing and scaling.
There's a separate but fair conversation about whether or not parks and resorts should be spending more to scale up that staffing, to be honest about the other side of that equation.

I'm not gonna lie I had to turn the ep off. I was kind of confused as to why they kept going on about why we should be cruising and then getting defensive about it. I was on the previous thread but honestly didn't see people calling anyone entitled (unless they were deleted) mostly it just seemed like people simply explaining why they don't feel safe or comfortable or interesting in cruising right now.

If you are comfortable cruising right now thats totally great. But not everyone is and I feel like that should be understood a little more?

we are all well aware that things are being taken away and charged for but my lord they don’t stop going on about it.

Get over it

Disney should perhaps stop supplying them with new ammunition; they're not short of new examples to discuss.

You also need to realize that people who tune into podcasts do not listen to every episode, they are not "as caught up" as some superfan is. They have to try and reach a casual market that is tuning in occasionally. That's going to have some repetition of topics generally. Otherwise you'd run through "Disney" in about 3 months.

I'm not gonna lie I had to turn the ep off. I was kind of confused as to why they kept going on about why we should be cruising and then getting defensive about it. I was on the previous thread but honestly didn't see people calling anyone entitled (unless they were deleted) mostly it just seemed like people simply explaining why they don't feel safe or comfortable or interesting in cruising right now.

If you are comfortable cruising right now thats totally great. But not everyone is and I feel like that should be understood a little more?
I am not at all against cruising. Would love to do it sometime, but I typically like to turn on DIS Unplugged and DVC Fan when I go jogging. 2 out of the last 3 DIS episodes (haven't listened to today's yet) and the last DVC Fan episode were almost entirely about Cruising and I have almost waved the white flag of surrender :)! It has been a little much, especially as it relates to DVC. Will give props to Amy Krieger as at least she brought up The Wish cancellation to members who may have booked with points, but, of course, no one on the panel knew what / if / how they were refunding points to affected members. I guess my point is, all the Cruise talk makes for some excruciating jogs!

And yes, I can hear the world's smallest violin playing just for me in the background!

I am not at all against cruising. Would love to do it sometime, but I typically like to turn on DIS Unplugged and DVC Fan when I go jogging. 2 out of the last 3 DIS episodes (haven't listened to today's yet) and the last DVC Fan episode were almost entirely about Cruising and I have almost waved the white flag of surrender :)! It has been a little much, especially as it relates to DVC. Will give props to Amy Krieger as at least she brought up The Wish cancellation to members who may have booked with points, but, of course, no one on the panel knew what / if / how they were refunding points to affected members. I guess my point is, all the Cruise talk makes for some excruciating jogs!

And yes, I can hear the world's smallest violin playing just for me in the background!
Yeah, the DVC show this week was especially disappointing. I thought that might be the one place we would be free from cruise talk and somehow they still snuck it in. :lmao:

Yeah, the DVC show this week was especially disappointing. I thought that might be the one place we would be free from cruise talk and somehow they still snuck it in. :lmao:
I really enjoyed this Tuesday's Unplugged show. No talk of cruising (hahaha!). Ryno was cracking me up. And Panda did a great job hosting. Not sure what the arrangement with him is, but glad he's on the team now!

When cruises weren't sailing, Dreams Unlimited was likely taking a massive hit to their bottom line. Cruising is by far the most profitable product that a travel agency sells and nets the highest commissions and biggest perks for agents. I understand why they are pushing cruising so hard on their show and I have no doubt that Pete is enjoying his cruises quite a lot because they are a more relaxing form of vacationing . I also know that travel agents are being given extremely cheap rates on cruises right now.. I appreciate the DIS unplugged for what it is- a group of travel agents who live right next to WDW that are all basically burned out on what WDW has to offer and whose best Disney memories are far behind them. I have been a listener to the show for as long as I can remember and it is usually rather entertaining and informative. However, I'd encourage anyone who is bummed out by the negativity and cynicism on the DIS unplugged and who cannot to relate to Pete, John, and Kevin etc. to listen to other Disney Parks podcasts. I recently listened to rope drop radio and their enthusiasm for the parks was refreshing, if not a little over the top and child like. However, it served as a refreshing counter balance to the DIS which features hosts that are increasingly hard to relate to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed this Tuesday's Unplugged show. No talk of cruising (hahaha!). Ryno was cracking me up. And Panda did a great job hosting. Not sure what the arrangement with him is, but glad he's on the team now!
I would like to see him host more. He has a nice spirit about him.

And I love DCL and went on two late last year but enough with the cruise talk. It should be on its
own show. There simple is not enough to fill a show with it. Heck DCL is not even up to full speed
with plenty reduced experiences still. If they thought there was nothing new to talk about regarding
WDW then I guarantee nothing new with the cruising. Unless you want to talk
about closed ports etc....

Last edited:
However, I'd encourage anyone who is bummed out by the negativity and cynicism on the DIS unplugged and who cannot to relate to Pete, John, and Kevin etc. to listen to other Disney Parks podcasts. I recently listened to rope drop radio and their enthusiasm for the parks was refreshing, if not a little over the top and child like. However, it served as a refreshing counter balance to the DIS which features hosts that are increasingly hard to relate to.

Agree with this. Have been a religious listener for years but now I listen to the Disney Dish and Rope Drop as published and just skip through and catch up on the Dis when I can. The negativity doesn't even seem like the real issue, it's that the messages driving the negativity have been beaten to death. Prices are rising, Star Cruiser is weird, Bob Chapek is satan. I get it. I feel like the shows with the crew from this Tuesday are much more informative / fun. Quite often if I listen at all I just go to Off the Rails because even though it's a tangent show it has more of those things - information and fun - than a lot of the main shows.

Agree the show was hard to hear. When I hear someone successful say "I'm not entitled, I've worked HARD for what I have!!" it rubs the wrong way.

I work in child welfare, have adopted and fostered as well. Some of these kids will work hard their whole life (harder than most), but will never obtain independent wealth. They were put at a disadvantage from the start. Many have cognitive or physical disabilities. Whether socio-economic, education, race, time/place of birth . . . there are various factors that can either put you at an advantage or disadvantage. I have children with FASD who will never be able to manage money because of their brain damage - but they are the hardest workers I know. They work harder to get a C+ in school than their siblings have to work to get an A. And they will work harder at their minimum wage jobs as adults than their siblings will work at lucrative independent careers. It sucks and isn't fair, but it's just how it is.

To say "I earned it" or "I worked hard for it!" shows a lack of empathy for those in a less fortunate situation, and a lack of appreciation for what/who set you up with the tools for success. When I get comments about my own financial success, I've learned that the answer needs to be "Thank you - you are right, I've been very lucky. I know not everyone is as fortunate." It starts with gratitude.

Agree the show was hard to hear. When I hear someone successful say "I'm not entitled, I've worked HARD for what I have!!" it rubs the wrong way.

I work in child welfare, have adopted and fostered as well. Some of these kids will work hard their whole life (harder than most), but will never obtain independent wealth. They were put at a disadvantage from the start. Many have cognitive or physical disabilities. Whether socio-economic, education, race, time/place of birth . . . there are various factors that can either put you at an advantage or disadvantage. I have children with FASD who will never be able to manage money because of their brain damage - but they are the hardest workers I know. They work harder to get a C+ in school than their siblings have to work to get an A. And they will work harder at their minimum wage jobs as adults than their siblings will work at lucrative independent careers. It sucks and isn't fair, but it's just how it is.

To say "I earned it" or "I worked hard for it!" shows a lack of empathy for those in a less fortunate situation, and a lack of appreciation for what/who set you up with the tools for success. When I get comments about my own financial success, I've learned that the answer needs to be "Thank you - you are right, I've been very lucky. I know not everyone is as fortunate." It starts with gratitude.

Okay, thank you for your post. I wrote earlier that this is the part that deeply bothered me. I know people who have made the decision to work for the disadvantaged and the pay is low. They have made a trade off and have come to terms with that, but I would never say they haven't worked very hard.

There is irony that deciding to be a Disney Cast member or a DCL worker, (the very product that Pete is praising), the fact is those workers probably do work as hard and as long as hours as Pete but will not be rich (maybe in their future, just not in their current position.) Disney products are based on the very hard work of those who are not properly compensated.

It's also worth noting the many, many Patrons, and the hours and hours of free labor of mods etc who have contributed to the content. I am not saying Pete hasn't worked hard, but I feel a nod to those folks is always nice. There are mods who have helped me immensely and have never been compensated.

Last edited:

My issue with the defensiveness on the podcast is that taking the high road and simply ignoring the criticism would reflect better on them and improve the show. Their "clapping back" seems like it stems from insecurity and it isn't a great look. People who are truly secure in their accomplishments and who aren't ashamed of their success and their financial status don't need to engage with judgmental strangers from the internet.

Pete's rants also are starting to lack any real meaning. For instance, for many people who pay $100 a person for dinner at a signature Disney restaurant, that's the most expensive meal they might have all year. If it was a bad experience for them, I'd listen with a lot more interest than to someone who sacrifices very little financially to dine there, or is only there for channel content.

Most of the things the panel thinks are crap are truly special and delightful for most families. I can't tell you how many trips I've taken to Disney World after a year of listening to podcasts and bloggers who are hyper critical and I struggle to understand how they can dislike so much of what is being offered.

I honestly feel bad for them because they all started off as genuine fans of the parks and resorts and Disney travel and have "overdosed" on the product. I just don't believe it's possible for them to enjoy it in any normal sense. I honestly believe the show would have ended a long time ago if it didn't serve as an advertisement for Dreams because most of the panel can't even pretend to care about the topics or news anymore.

They are all good people but it just seems like they are "done" and have been for a long time.

Last edited:
Pete's rants also are starting to lack any real meaning. For instance, for many people who pay $100 a person for dinner at a signature Disney restaurant, that's the most expensive meal they might have all year. If it was a bad experience for them, I'd listen with a lot more interest than to someone who sacrifices very little financially to dine there, or is only there for channel content.

Most of the things the panel thinks are crap are truly special and delightful for most families. I can't tell you how many trips I've taken to Disney World after a year of listening to podcasts and bloggers who are hyper critical and I struggle to understand how they can dislike so much of what is being offered.

I honestly feel bad for them because they all started off as genuine fans of the parks and resorts and Disney travel and have "overdosed" on the product. I just don't believe it's possible for them to enjoy it in any normal sense. I honestly believe the show would have ended a long time ago if it didn't serve as an advertisement for Dreams because most of the panel can't even pretend to care about the topics or news anymore.

They are all good people but it just seems like they are "done" and have been for a long time.
i think this is fair to say for many of the folks involved. probably also speaks to why when Panda hosted the other day the show felt fresh and new again. It happens; I'd probably come off jaded and bored after a few years of talking about my job publicly.

and that's ok honestly. Pete's an entertainer and it's his house. He should host the show most of the time no doubt. But maybe some of the older guard like Pete and John need to get back into the parks more or something because he just seems a bit out of the loop when hosting. He sticks to his guns and his theories about Chapek, Josh D'Amaro etc but I just get the feeling as a listener that he hasn't been going to the parks and isn't really in the know lately.

I work in a business where we have live events. Every once in a blue moon I need to just go to a show and be a fan for a minute and when I do, I am reminded of what I love about my job. Otherwise I get worn out.

Someone touched on it earlier - they are not the average consumer, and in some ways that has put them out of touch with the average consumer. It’s kind of just the nature of things. Even the vast majority here are out of touch with the “average” American”. People tend to view what is immediately around them as “normal” or “average”.

The average American can’t afford to travel to Disney at all aside from MAYBE a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Then there’s the “average” Disney vacationer that can go fairly regularly. Then there’s the Disney travel fans that frequent the boards that can either go more regularly or can buy into DVC. Then there’s Pete and the crew. These aren’t value judgements, but we tend to become insulated from what is “average” or “normal” based on our community and our lifestyle. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s human nature. What’s off putting is when people are confronted with this fact and their cognitive dissonance kicks in and they act as if it’s an attack .

This is what I call "The Normal Syndrome". I'm normal, I like XYZ, therefore anyone who is normal likes XYZ just s much as I do. I belong to Meetup.com and organize events for a group. We have another organizer who is 70ish years old. She's a typical senior living in Sarasota, FL. Get's up every day at 5am to be ouside walking 2 miles a day by 6am and heads to bed never later than 9pm. Her dinner events never start later than 5pm.She says that's what everyone wants in the group. People then drop out of her events for later dinners with other groups. She can't understand why because she thinks it's completely "normal" to have "dinner" at 4 in the afternoon.

I really did enjoy Panda hosting the show last week. He definitely brought a positive vibe to the show which I feel has been a bit lacking as of late. I am a 50 plus year old man, my kids are older, so I can relate in way to the recent sentiments of Pete, John & Kevin, less MK/parks enjoyment, more time maybe at the resorts or nicer restaurants. However, as many of stated, there is a fine line between honesty and talking down to your audience( I felt that was clearly the case during that one show in particular). If you are not "feeling the vibe" of the parks, so be it, but there should be a bit more a balance( which again is why I enjoyed Panda being on the show last week). I have listened/watched the Dis Unplugged for year, always been a pick me up, especially on rough days. Recently not so much, hoping maybe a bit of a change up in hosting will bring back the fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter