Yes, more 1st cruise questions. Even more at the end!

as far as the phones go, hit Target and get a prepaid drop phone. I believe NEX has them as well. Does Rogers, et al., have a North American plan? It costs me $5 month (when you leave San Diego Bay, you’ll be on Mexican cell tours almost immediately). That $5 saves me lots on those additional charges. Its an addition. I can add it or remove it by the billing period. I never seem to get the shipboard wifi package to last because, as a nontechnical type person, I never get all of my settings right, even though I follow the instructions, and my phone chews through my onboard data allotment.
Last I remember the Canadian carriers charge $7/day for US roaming. Don't remember how much data. But that probably isn't worth it to call one Uber. Calling more than one Uber, then the math probably swings in favour of roaming. Personally I've got a SIM card from Roam Mobility for use in the US. And once I'm on a ship, I've got my phone on airplane mode so no worries with getting hit with Mexico roaming charges.

Last I remember the Canadian carriers charge $7/day for US roaming. Don't remember how much data. But that probably isn't worth it to call one Uber. Calling more than one Uber, then the math probably swings in favour of roaming. Personally I've got a SIM card from Roam Mobility for use in the US. And once I'm on a ship, I've got my phone on airplane mode so no worries with getting hit with Mexico roaming charges.

Yep. Canadian carriers charge about $7 per day. Depends on the carrier and your plan if it's already included or not. We were with Rogers on our last trip and we didn't have to notify them when crossing into the US. We would just get a text that said "welcome to the U.S. you are now roaming like home." Our plan (data and texting amounts) applied to our time in the US.

And whomever mentioned the NEXUS card... get it if you are able to! Totally worth the $50 for the 5 years. Kids are free. It is a HUGE time saver in American airports!!!

There are some NEXUS threads in the Canadian DISers forum if you want to look that up. I really do think it's beneficial for any of us that travel abroad.

Last I remember the Canadian carriers charge $7/day for US roaming. Don't remember how much data.

The $7/day allows you to use your own plan's data and minutes as though you were at home. You don't need to put it on and take it off when you travel. You just set it up as a feature and it kicks in if/when you use it when you're away. If you don't use the phone or data on any particular day, you aren't charged the $7. But you do have to remember to prevent apps from running in the background if they use data or updating or you'll be charged even if you don't actively use data. You can also do a flat fee top-up and the $7/day will also use that instead of charging roaming fees or overage charges. I think it costs something like $12/day when overseas - I used it in Italy and it was way cheaper than buying extra data.

You seem to travel a lot. I assume you've got a NEXUS pass? I know port of SD doesn't have a Global Entry line but otherwise you're fast tracked in YVR and can use TSA Precheck in SAN so at least you'd save some time there. Your teens cost $0 so that's a bonus as well.

I'm always afraid to see what rates Rogers/Bell/Telus will charge me for even staring at my phone outside of Canada :)
I have Telus and the $7/day roaming. It's great.

I would get NEXUS, but to get it, the whole fam damily has to trek over to Vancouver from the Island to wait for the interview. It's very expensive to get on/off the Island and it's a full day. If we had a NEXUS interview place on the Island it'd be much more convenient and we would definitely get our cards. I'm a Veteran and DH is still serving, so in some airports we can go straight through (Edmonton, Calgary). I travel more than DH, so to me it's not a big deal to go through regular lines.

But, having said all that, I can float it by him seeing as how he wants to go back to Hawaii at Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter