YES... it's another "teacher gift" thread...

jensen

DIS Veteran
My kids have been in school for many years, but teacher's gifts drive me batty every year. I never know if I'm doing the right thing. Is a $5 gift card to Target enough?

Our PTA does this "wreath" program. Each teacher puts a bunch of stars on the wreath with their classroom wish list. All they ever ask for is $5 gift cards to various stores. So, I do one for each. But, then I never know if that should be my "total" gift or if I should also give the teacher a personal gift in addition to the classroom gift.

And do I do all of the teachers? Or just the main teacher?

What about other staff - like the Principal, secretary, lunch ladies, etc? My kids even love the school janitor. So, I feel like I want to include everyone. But, there are not wreaths for them.

When I was a kid, my mom would make a big tray of goodies and put it in the teacher's lounge at our school. That way everyone was covered and everyone LOVED it. But, now I know that people have a thing about "homemade". Are homemade treats a total no-no?

I would ask the school secretary what the rule is about homemade food at school.

I give to the secretaries and extra teachers cookies or muffins made from what I have in my pantry. I scout for decorative plates on clearance and have on hand the clear cellophane for gift baskets and wired ribbon I bought on clearance. Last week Tuesday Morning had cut glass dishes for $2.99 and $2.49 plus they had everything on sale for an extra 20% off. I bought all 8 that they had. That means that I'll be able to give snickerdoodles to all of his extra teachers and the school secretary and principal complete with professional looking wrapping for less than $3 each.

whatever you give, the teachers will appreciate it!

As far as bringing in food, why not bring in bagels and cream cheese or muffins and juice for the teacher lounge?

At my dd school homemade is a big no-no. I just give to her main teachers. A $25 visa gift card, ghiradelli (sp?) holiday mix in the Christmas tree box, and put it in a nice holiday bag. Now if I really like the teacher that year I bump the gift card up to $50.

As a teacher I'll add my 2¢. Our district, like most, does not have a dime to spare. If a parent asks me what I'd prefer, I always say, "Anything for the classroom." Then I give ideas such as books, any art supplies such as markers, glitter, googly eyes, feathers, etc., dry erase markers, sharpie markers, a game for indoor recess, jump ropes, balls for outdoor recess and stickers. While I appreciate the personal gifts for myself, I'd much prefer something for the kids. If you feel you'd prefer to give a gift for the teacher, a $5 gift card is very nice. But the very best thing you can give a teacher is a note of appreciation from you and your child.

As far as other teachers, if you know them well, I think homemade treats are fine. I like the idea of putting them on a pretty plate that can be used again.

Don't stress about giving gifts for teachers. I can assure we aren't sitting in the teacher's lounge comparing who got what from whom.

I've been a Teacher Aide in an Integrated/SPED Preschool for 5 years so I'll give you the parent & teacher answer ;)
As a parent of 2 Boys I always give (elementary teachers) a box of chocolate & a $25 GC to Barnes & Noble. Some use it for the class others for themselves.
As a teacher aide I appreciate any gift I am given. A $5 GC to Dunkin Donuts would make my day. In our class there are 2 Aides & 1 Teacher. It really hurts my feelings when a parent buys a $25 or $50 GC for the Teacher & doesn't even give me a card. I don't need a gift but at least acknowledge me. Luckily I work with an amazing Teacher who tells me often she could not do her job without me but it's nice to hear it from parents as well.
So to answer your question, yes a $5 GC would be appreciated. It's the thought that counts!

Our school has an awesome Christmas gift program that is completely voluntary. The PTO collects money from parents, in any amount, and then divides the total money given among all teachers, faculty, and staff so that the custodial staff, lunch ladies, secretaries, etc. That way, you don't have to worry about shopping for individual teachers and EVERYONE is included. The monetary gift is completely optional and anonymous so there are no hard feelings if you are unable to donate.

That being said, I typically put a small gift card in the teacher's card, too.

Speaking as a teacher's spouse, please no mugs or bath soaps. Gift cards always good, unless for a store named "Mugs R Us."

This year I did a $25 Amazon gift card to the teacher. I will also get something for the bus driver.... probably a box of chocolates or a gift card.

I like the group gift idea from the PTO though. I feel bad not getting "everyone else" something, but quite honestly I'm not sure who everyone else is.

I usually do a $25 gift card to Starbucks for DS teacher but this year we moved him to special ed & he has 4 teachers that rotate. So I am getting each a $10 gift card to Starbucks with a small box of chocolates for each & I'm having DS make some Christmas cards. I'm going to go check out Michaels & see if I can find some crafty ideas so he can make their cards with a simple kit or something. :flower3:

Our school PTO has a Christmas Purse which is split between all the staff, including support staff that you never would think of. That way a donation goes to the lunch ladies and janitors and everyone who keeps the place running.

love the whole school idea

i normally check out whether the teacher has kids or family or is single - and then address that - it used to be barnes & noble gift cards - but one year i got the secretary burger king gift cards because her daughther was a pre-teen and she loved it because it gave her one quick dinner when she really needed it - i've also given dunkin donuts - and panera bread (another quick dinner idea)

As a teacher myself...I have to be honest here. Most teachers in my school are very hard to convince eating a homemade food treat brought in by a student/family. Not to sound ungrateful at all, but I don't personally partake unless I have a great relationship with the family...
As a parent, I totally understand the want to send in something like that, though. This year, I bought a Littles Carryall caddy (Thirty One gifts) for my girls' teachers. Inside, a square box of tissues, and the pocket in front a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I also added in a small box of chocolates from the Dollar Section at Target. :-)

Another teacher here. $5 is great & school supplies (or a book for the classroom library) are always welcome.
I will say that one of my favorite gifts from a student was a large beach towel in my favorite color. I still use it

I teach in a school that is made up of 96% low income families; many of those are from homes with a lot of chaos and instablility. Because my kids don't get to go many places and rarely do 'big' things, like travel, I like to try to bring the world to them. In 19 years at this school, it has been rare for me to ever get a gift card from my kids' parents. I get sweet little dollar things, Best Teacher Ever pictures :love:, or just a stuffed animal that a kid has pulled out of the toy box, and I love the thought behind each one of them. If I did get gift cards, I would want them to be from a place where they could be used for the entire class in some way - getting supplies to prepare a dish from another country, a craft item they can make to go with a unit, something they can see and touch (a cactus, when studying about the desert, for example), or a book about an animal or a place we are studying. In other words, in my particular school and for my situation, I would more need/use a Target or Kroger card than a Panera or Bath & Body.

On a Disney note, Epcot's World Showcase is one of my favorite places to shop for school! I can bring back food (my students have eaten seaweed and some icky looking crab things! :eek:) and art and music from places around the world that neither I nor my kids will ever likely visit.

It is so nice of you who give to your teachers to be so generous and thoughtful. Teachers appreciate all thoughts and gifts for them, whether for the classroom or for them personally. I know how much I spend a year on classroom supplies and extras. People like you guys are MUCH appreciated!

Teacher here - Why not wait and surprise the teachers with some donuts or bagels or lunch in say Februrary? At my school we have parents who will provide lunch or drop off donuts for the teacher's lounge. Everyone gets something that way.

I appreciate a personal card from the student. No gift is necessary. I truly believe it is the thought that matters.

At my children's school, the book fair is always before Xmas and teachers list the books they want for the classroom. Great, easy gift.

I'm a teacher as well. My absolute favorite gift was when a student's family asked a relative to pick up some rare Disney pins from DL for me. It was such a surprise and so thoughtful. I have also received some other really nice Disney gifts.

I always appreciate gift cards to Bath & Body Works and Starbucks. Barnes & Noble is another great one because I typically use it for things I need for my classroom.

With this being said, anything that shows that you put honest thought into sharing the joy of the season is appreciated.

I teach in a school that is made up of 96% low income families; many of those are from homes with a lot of chaos and instablility. Because my kids don't get to go many places and rarely do 'big' things, like travel, I like to try to bring the world to them. In 19 years at this school, it has been rare for me to ever get a gift card from my kids' parents. I get sweet little dollar things, Best Teacher Ever pictures :love:, or just a stuffed animal that a kid has pulled out of the toy box, and I love the thought behind each one of them. If I did get gift cards, I would want them to be from a place where they could be used for the entire class in some way - getting supplies to prepare a dish from another country, a craft item they can make to go with a unit, something they can see and touch (a cactus, when studying about the desert, for example), or a book about an animal or a place we are studying. In other words, in my particular school and for my situation, I would more need/use a Target or Kroger card than a Panera or Bath & Body.

On a Disney note, Epcot's World Showcase is one of my favorite places to shop for school! I can bring back food (my students have eaten seaweed and some icky looking crab things! :eek:) and art and music from places around the world that neither I nor my kids will ever likely visit.

It is so nice of you who give to your teachers to be so generous and thoughtful. Teachers appreciate all thoughts and gifts for them, whether for the classroom or for them personally. I know how much I spend a year on classroom supplies and extras. People like you guys are MUCH appreciated!

This is so true! I have a few low income kids each year and their homemade cards always mean a lot. If they come in with nothing and are looking sad about it, I send them back to the craft area to make a card and hang it up for everyone to see.

I don't know if you drive to WDW, but if you do and come from the north, South of the Border has a big store that has things from all over. I got little Jade charms from China, a wooden spoon from Peru, etc, all very inexpensive. We have cultural baskets from each continent in our classroom and I am always buying things to add.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter