Yes another dog question

aceys_h0ney

DIS Veteran
I don't recall seeing this anywhere but what are the rules about having a dog on a tie out. I'm not talking about leaving the dog tied out while we are gone but while we are outside with her can she be on her tie out or strictly leashed? If she is allowed on a tie out can we wrap the tie out around a tree or do we have to bring our own stake?

As long as you are in a Pet Loop, and in attendance, you should be fine. If you own a tie down, bring it, but if not, you could just use the picnic table... or a tree. Using the tree might be frowned upon, but I don't think anyone would report you for that. The main thing is to be considerate of others who may not want to be bothered by pets while on vacation.

Yes you can have your fur baby on a tie out. We have wrapped it around a tree without damage to it. :thumbsup2

Cool thanks! We've been to campgrounds that required the dog to be leashed at all times and she would like a little more room to roam while we are outside. Our tie out is only about 15-20ft so I doubt she would be able to get to other campsites to disturb others.

Cool thanks! We've been to campgrounds that required the dog to be leashed at all times and she would like a little more room to roam while we are outside. Our tie out is only about 15-20ft so I doubt she would be able to get to other campsites to disturb others.

PLEASE be careful on the length of the tie out. We have seen some folks use them for large dogs that allow the dog to get within several feet of the front of the site and folks walking their dogs like us have HEART ATTACKS when a LARGE DOG comes running full speed ahead toward us in the road. I would recommend no more than like 10' with that being secured near the end of your site. Tie backs are sort of a "lease substitute" and most county/city ordinances limit those to like 6'. I personally think 15 to 20 feet is WAY TOO LONG, but that is just my personal opinion. The space between campsites and not 40' apart so a 20ft Tie back will not keep your pet out of another person's campsite.

Larry

PLEASE be careful on the length of the tie out. We have seen some folks use them for large dogs that allow the dog to get within several feet of the front of the site and folks walking their dogs like us have HEART ATTACKS when a LARGE DOG comes running full speed ahead toward us in the road. I would recommend no more than like 10' with that being secured near the end of your site. Tie backs are sort of a "lease substitute" and most county/city ordinances limit those to like 6'. I personally think 15 to 20 feet is WAY TOO LONG, but that is just my personal opinion. The space between campsites and not 40' apart so a 20ft Tie back will not keep your pet out of another person's campsite.

Larry

Good point.

Larry

Where I totally agree that no dog..whatever the size, should not be allowed to get to close to the site border or road......6' way to short a lenght to tie up any dog, especailly a large one.(and most town do NOT limit to 6 feet, please go look)....even 10' is just ok in my opinion.

Common sense of any person walking on the road in the campground or walking a dog in the campground should not have a heart attack just because a dog is barking near the road. When your walking your dog this should be expected...whatever size the dog is. All dog have a natural desire to gaurd there property..that siad no dog should be loose or allowed to consently bark.

Qiute frankly I am more concerned about small dogs that some owners seem to think can be allowed to be free.

JMO

AKK

Noted thanks. Our leash is nearly 6 feet long so I'd like a little longer reach for her. We won't put her near the front though. I don't like when people who are walking their dogs allow them to run up in a campsite and get my dog riled up so we keep her on the back of our campsites normally. Having never been to the fort I don't know what to expect as far as room. We got a premium site so hopefully will have enough room to keep her out of the way.

Where I totally agree that no dog..whatever the size, should not be allowed to get to close to the site border or road......6' way to short a lenght to tie up any dog, especailly a large one.(and most town do NOT limit to 6 feet, please go look)....even 10' is just ok in my opinion.

Common sense of any person walking on the road in the campground or walking a dog in the campground should not have a heart attack just because a dog is barking near the road. When your walking your dog this should be expected...whatever size the dog is. All dog have a natural desire to gaurd there property..that siad no dog should be loose or allowed to consently bark.

Qiute frankly I am more concerned about small dogs that some owners seem to think can be allowed to be free.

JMO

AKK

Unfortunately I can't find anywhere where FW has given permission to attach a tether or leash to anything on their property and according to THIS

Pursuant to Chapter 5, Animals, Article II, Animal Services, Section 5-33 of the Ordinances for Orange County, Florida, dogs are required to wear a leash when off the owner's property or on any piece of public property. If an officer observes a dog at learge, the officer may issue a warning or citation. If the officer cannot locate the owner after reasonable efforts, the officer may seize and impound the animal. Dogs are also prohibited from being tied, chained, or otherwised tethered to public property or the property of another without consent of the property owner. Therefore, you cannot tie your dog to a tree in a neighbor's yard or public park without permission to do so. If transporting a dog in a vehicle, the dog may either be confined within a cage, crate or pen, which must be well ventilated and secured within the body of the vehicle, or restrained by leash to the center of the vehicle. The leash must be attached to the collar or harness of the dog and short enough to prevent the dog's head from reaching the side or back of the vehicle.

You can read more about the Orange County, Florida dog leash provisions and other sections pertaining to Dogs at Orange County, Florida, Code of Ordinances.

Under Florida Law, if a child is bitten by a dog, regardless if the dog is leashed or not, the dog owner is responsible for the damages resulting from the dog bite. These damages include but are not limited to: medical bills (past and future), pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. If you have a question about a Florida dog bite and the related personal injuries to a child, it is important to have the advice, counsel, and legal representation of a Florida Child Injury Lawyer.

And while I can't give a link to an actual disney document THIS is IIRC what you sign concerning pets at check in at FW and please note the terms "hand held leash" and the 6' requirement

Fort Wilderness Pet Policy:

•Because Guests' four-legged family friends are allowed to stay at designated campsites, Disney has contracted with Best Friends Pet Care to provide pet care services.

•Best Friends Pet Care offers accommodations, activities, and amenities for your furry friends. Services also include grooming and doggy day camp.

•Whether staying for the day or overnight, we do require that all pets staying in our boarding facility be up-to-date on their vaccines and written proof is required from their veterinarian's office. You may bring a copy with you to show us at check-in, or you may ask your veterinarian's office to fax it to us in advance at 203-840-5266.Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate venomous pets or primates of any kind. No native wildlife or exotic species are allowed in the facility.

•Reservations at Best Friends Pet Care are not required but are suggested. Call (877) 4 WDW-PETS for more information and to make reservations.

•Best Friends Pet Care: 877-4-WDW-PETS or visit WDW.BestFriendsPetCare.com.

and also...

Pets

Pets like to go on vacation, too, so we offer a limited number of pet-friendly Preferred Hook-Up and Premium campsites.

•All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 6 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner's personal recreational vehicle. For pop-ups and tents, pets must be secured in a container, such as a portable cage or kennel.

•Campsite Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.

•Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.

•Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel or leave the Resort.

so, you'll need a 'pet approved campsite' and if your dogs will bark their durn fool heads off when you are absent you should kennel them while you're gone else you may hear from management. otherwise, it's your choice on whether to leave them in the MH or kennel them.

If you can show me something different my read and belief is that unless you have your pet on a hand
held and controlled leash of 6' or less you are not following disney's pet policy and rules.

Larry

JMO

AKK

While your opinion of 10' is okay, every campground that I have been to, that puts a limit on the leash length, has stated 6' is the maxium length. In this case, we are talking about Disney and they have a 6' length limit.

With regards to your statement of "should not have heart attack just because a dog is barking near the road." I believe LarryJ said "We have seen some folks use them for large dogs that allow the dog to get within several feet of the front of the site and folks walking their dogs like us have HEART ATTACKS when a LARGE DOG comes running full speed ahead toward us in the road." There have been times when we having been out walking our small dogs when a large dog has come running out from their site and YES, it does make your heart skip a beat, literally. You don't know in that split second if the dog is teathered or if it's running loose and going to attack your dog because not everybody uses common sense. Large dogs running loose concern me much more than a small dog. I can pickup my dog to keep it safe from a small dog but a large dog can still jump up on me and my dog. And yes, I have owned several large dogs so I am not anti-large dogs.

I think aceys_h0ney has the right idea on tying up her pet in the rear of her site and you should be okay but you could be in a site on the inside (left side) of a loop and your neighbors could be close. The sites on the outside (right side) of the loops tend to have larger rear areas due to the curving of the roadway to make the loop.

Unfortunately I can't find anywhere where FW has given permission to attach a tether or leash to anything on their property and according to THIS

Pursuant to Chapter 5, Animals, Article II, Animal Services, Section 5-33 of the Ordinances for Orange County, Florida, dogs are required to wear a leash when off the owner's property or on any piece of public property. If an officer observes a dog at learge, the officer may issue a warning or citation. If the officer cannot locate the owner after reasonable efforts, the officer may seize and impound the animal. Dogs are also prohibited from being tied, chained, or otherwised tethered to public property or the property of another without consent of the property owner. Therefore, you cannot tie your dog to a tree in a neighbor's yard or public park without permission to do so. If transporting a dog in a vehicle, the dog may either be confined within a cage, crate or pen, which must be well ventilated and secured within the body of the vehicle, or restrained by leash to the center of the vehicle. The leash must be attached to the collar or harness of the dog and short enough to prevent the dog's head from reaching the side or back of the vehicle.

You can read more about the Orange County, Florida dog leash provisions and other sections pertaining to Dogs at Orange County, Florida, Code of Ordinances.

Under Florida Law, if a child is bitten by a dog, regardless if the dog is leashed or not, the dog owner is responsible for the damages resulting from the dog bite. These damages include but are not limited to: medical bills (past and future), pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. If you have a question about a Florida dog bite and the related personal injuries to a child, it is important to have the advice, counsel, and legal representation of a Florida Child Injury Lawyer.

And while I can't give a link to an actual disney document THIS is IIRC what you sign concerning pets at check in at FW and please note the terms "hand held leash" and the 6' requirement

Fort Wilderness Pet Policy:

•Because Guests' four-legged family friends are allowed to stay at designated campsites, Disney has contracted with Best Friends Pet Care to provide pet care services.

•Best Friends Pet Care offers accommodations, activities, and amenities for your furry friends. Services also include grooming and doggy day camp.

•Whether staying for the day or overnight, we do require that all pets staying in our boarding facility be up-to-date on their vaccines and written proof is required from their veterinarian's office. You may bring a copy with you to show us at check-in, or you may ask your veterinarian's office to fax it to us in advance at 203-840-5266.Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate venomous pets or primates of any kind. No native wildlife or exotic species are allowed in the facility.

•Reservations at Best Friends Pet Care are not required but are suggested. Call (877) 4 WDW-PETS for more information and to make reservations.

•Best Friends Pet Care: 877-4-WDW-PETS or visit WDW.BestFriendsPetCare.com.

and also...

Pets

Pets like to go on vacation, too, so we offer a limited number of pet-friendly Preferred Hook-Up and Premium campsites.

•All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 6 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner's personal recreational vehicle. For pop-ups and tents, pets must be secured in a container, such as a portable cage or kennel.

•Campsite Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.

•Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.

•Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel or leave the Resort.

so, you'll need a 'pet approved campsite' and if your dogs will bark their durn fool heads off when you are absent you should kennel them while you're gone else you may hear from management. otherwise, it's your choice on whether to leave them in the MH or kennel them.

If you can show me something different my read and belief is that unless you have your pet on a hand
held and controlled leash of 6' or less you are not following disney's pet policy and rules.

Larry

You said *most* counties have a 6' limit.....I have found that not to be the case. in Ct and Mass I know for a fact it is not.........*most* was the key word here.

And did I at any point say FW had a different rule.....I pointed out that for larger dogs 6' is a tight limited area.

I also pointed out its a bit dramatic to have *heart attack* in large caps.............please.......not to mention all you noted was a *large dog*.............not dogs in general.

AKK

While your opinion of 10' is okay, every campground that I have been to, that puts a limit on the leash length, has stated 6' is the maxium length. In this case, we are talking about Disney and they have a 6' length limit.

With regards to your statement of "should not have heart attack just because a dog is barking near the road." I believe LarryJ said "We have seen some folks use them for large dogs that allow the dog to get within several feet of the front of the site and folks walking their dogs like us have HEART ATTACKS when a LARGE DOG comes running full speed ahead toward us in the road." There have been times when we having been out walking our small dogs when a large dog has come running out from their site and YES, it does make your heart skip a beat, literally. You don't know in that split second if the dog is teathered or if it's running loose and going to attack your dog because not everybody uses common sense. Large dogs running loose concern me much more than a small dog. I can pickup my dog to keep it safe from a small dog but a large dog can still jump up on me and my dog. And yes, I have owned several large dogs so I am not anti-large dogs.

I think aceys_h0ney has the right idea on tying up her pet in the rear of her site and you should be okay but you could be in a site on the inside (left side) of a loop and your neighbors could be close. The sites on the outside (right side) of the loops tend to have larger rear areas due to the curving of the roadway to make the loop.

If your going to be so dramatic................fine..I have a big Problem with small yeapy dogs who come running full speed from a campsite becuase I don't now if they are teid up or not and I have found that its the small camping dogs that was more likely to come a bite my small kids ............not to mention I once had a small dog get away from there owner and charge my dog who was minding his own busy tied under our awning........and bite his leg......my dog reacted as a dog would and the small dog had to go to the vet and get sown up. Teh small dog was fine and the people were all allogyies..........neither of us had any hard feelings.......

So as you can see its not one sided...and to say your having a heart attack is a bit silly at best.

AKK

If your going to be so dramatic................fine..I have a big Problem with small yeapy dogs who come running full speed from a campsite becuase I don't now if they are teid up or not and I have found that its the small camping dogs that was more likely to come a bite my small kids ............not to mention I once had a small dog get away from there owner and charge my dog who was minding his own busy tied under our awning........and bite his leg......my dog reacted as a dog would and the small dog had to go to the vet and get sown up. Teh small dog was fine and the people were all allogyies..........neither of us had any hard feelings.......

So as you can see its not one sided...and to say your having a heart attack is a bit silly at best.

AKK
This is exactly the sort of post that must be reviewed as Disney works to revamp the Pet Policy/ Rules at Ft Wilderness. There has been an assumption of late that everyone will simply have to put up with dogs at the Fort (big and small) invading forbidden spaces and impacting the quality of vacation for non-pet guests; and deal with their owners selfish ideas of entitlement. Rest assured Non-pet vacationers, your rights are going to be restored so that, you too, can continue to enjoy Ft Wilderness.

I've learned one thing from this thread, stick with medium size dogs. :lmao:

What we do is find a tree close to us and tie them up, But we make sure that they can't go into another site.:thumbsup2

This is exactly the sort of post that must be reviewed as Disney works to revamp the Pet Policy/ Rules at Ft Wilderness. There has been an assumption of late that everyone will simply have to put up with dogs at the Fort (big and small) invading forbidden spaces and impacting the quality of vacation for non-pet guests; and deal with their owners selfish ideas of entitlement. Rest assured Non-pet vacationers, your rights are going to be restored so that, you too, can continue to enjoy Ft Wilderness.

I agree

I've learned one thing from this thread, stick with medium size dogs. :lmao:

LOL or slow ones. I have a corgi who just might be perfect for the Fort. She is medium and too slow to scare a bird. We could tie her to a stick on the ground and she isn't going anywhere.

Well camping with pets is part of the exprience and fun or camping!

A fair review of the rules is always a good thing....A fiar and no one sided review!

Frankly, I think the time of Disney mangament could be much better spent reviewing, revising the ENFORCING the rules on GOLFCARTS! Now that is a real problem!

AKK

PS. IF you trying to imply that FW will stop permitting pets, your in La La Land, to many people camp with pets and fill FW sites.........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter