yep the scale is a bad idea!!!!

wiskband

I can't wait till tomorrow....why? because I get b
So I am nuts about weighing myself and I justify this in every thread that is posted about this subject. I say "if its not going down it just motivates me more" I was living like this until today!
I swore I would not weigh myself but I caved!
And boy let me tell you I was so surprised to see my weight!.
I screwed up bit this past weekend (friday and saturday) but got it togehter by sunday and have been on track. I weighed 167 on the 20th (7 days ago) So today I go to the gym and I weighed in at 171! I was so angered I mean 4 pounds! I didnt even want to work out but I did. but then I came home and really got ****** and ate about 8 cookies (chips ahoy) I stuck to it all day and went to curves did 2 walk away the pounds tapes and then went overboard with the cookies!
I know we all go through this but I seriuosly thinkI am gonna throw out the scale. IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

Also, let me add that I do have TOM although,. it is my 4 th day so i am no longer bloated. My calender states that by friday if everthig goes well I should be about 165. BUT NOW at 171 today that will never happen. I have mentioned before that I lose weight in bulk but never 6 pounds! I fell horrible!:(
renee

don't be to hard on yourself. We all fall sometimes, but we have to get back on it so that we can look better for our selves. Tomorrow is another day

Renee, I'm a scale junkie too! The one thing I've discovered (besides how tempermental my scale is) is that my body fluctuates as much as three pounds during the course of one day! My Atkins pals (TiggersPal and PixieMagic) encourage me to loose the scale and just pay attention to my clothes.....but I LOVE my clippies!

Anyway, we scale junkies just have to be extra dilligent not to let it sway our behavior....keep focused and do what we know works in the long run. Hmmmmm, I need to listen to my own advice, my scale (not me you notice, the scale) has been stalled for two weeks now:rolleyes:

Onward and Donward, y'all!

Please don't beat yourself up so much. I say that if the scales are going to cause you this much pain and you normally weigh in once a week, you need to go back to that plan. If it were encouraging to you then it would be different, but it apparently had a negative effect on you and that isn't what you want.

Today is a new day and I was reminded Monday night that we can't go back and change what we have done, but we can control what we do today.

You can do this and remember that it isn't just a diet but a lifestyle change and we are going to have our ups and downs. We just have to control how we react to them. Sending you PD for a better day today.:D

You sound like I did about two months ago. You have to get rid of the scale or get control of its usage. This is about a lifestyle change, so be kinder to yourself. You may go up. You may go down. If it is a lifestyle change, then it only matters over the course of a period of weeks or months what the change is.

The scale used to make me miserable. I got on it not just once per day, but several times per day. I had TOM last weigh-in day, so I decided to wait another week to weigh. That was a big change over what I was doing previously. I decided that I didn't want to become discouraged by a number since I was feeling and looking better overall, so I would stop weighing so frequently. The scale was making me crazy. It just stopped mattering what that little hunk of plastic and metal said every day. I finally gave myself control back.

I used to be a ketostick junkie also. I don't do those anymore either. Partly because I ran out, but I haven't felt the need to go and get any more of them.

All of these ways of measuring and guaging my progress are pretty useless. I am satisfied with my efforts. I just had a physical and all of my bloodwork came back with good numbers. I was thrilled. More thrilled with that then with what the scale could tell me. I knew from my bloodwork that what I am doing now with my lifestyle has had a positive impact on the inside of my body. Have you had a physical lately? You might consider that. It is a much better guage for what is really happening in your body.

If the scale makes you crazy and depressed and want to seek revenge on it by going off your plan and punishing your body, then you really need to get rid of it. Take it to a dumpster, and throw it over. What a feeling of release that will give. Just don't punish yourself with food. I say all of this lovingly and with genuine concern for you WISH friend.:wave:

Hmmm the scale...often what will cause a good change of life to go bad. Scales remind me of dieting. And that is not really what you are doing, you are making a life change. Sooooo I suggest you either put the scale away in a place you don't see it all the time (out of sight, out of mind) or just throw the thing away. Your weight doesn't tell you the whole story.

I have been maintaining my weight loss for over 5 years now. I do have 5 pounds that fluctuates though, but now that I realize this, I don't freak out. However, I noticed my clothes were not fitting as well. But yet I was the SAME weight (I weigh myself once a week when I do my grocery shopping, I simply cannot have a scale in the house). Well that was my wakeup call to go to the gym and get to toning myself. Today I am wearing a skirt that I haven't for quite some time. I guess it is working.

DON'T reduce yourself to a number, you are so much more than that. DON'T let one simple number ruin your day. {{{{HUGS}}}}

It is my belief that scales do more harm than good, but then I was one who allowed the scale to dictate how I felt about myself. It is not a good place to be and it can cause so many more problems. Hang in there!!!! And don't weight yourself!!!! :D

When I started to get control of my weight, I told my wife that I would not be a slave to my scale. Combining sesnible diet with exercise is THE agreed method for losing weight. Depending on what kind of workout you do, you may actually see your weight increase due to the reduction in fat and replacing it with lean muscle tissue. Weight is not an indicator of health - how you FEEL is more important. I have found that I weigh less right out of bed in the morning than I do right before bed time. Sometimes as much as three pounds. But - I feel better, my clothes fit better, I look better, and now other folks are starting to notice.

So, don't be a slave to the scale. Control it, not the other way around :D

Wow, I needed this thread today! I normally weigh in on Sundays for check in and then again on Wednesdays for the Onederland check in. I was so discouraged after today's weigh in that I have decided to only weigh once a week, on Sundays. If that still doesn't help me realize that it is just a number, and I am doing, feeling and looking so much better than I did a year ago (or even 6 months ago!) then I will go to a monthly weigh in instead. Does anyone do that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter