Yellow flies in August

tazdeb

Mouseketeer
I am thinking of camping in early August. Have air so thats not a problem and can deal with the heat but how are the yellow flies and bugs? Thanks...TAZ

camped in FW in August once and also once in Sept and Oct. have never seen or had a problem with yellow flies.

love bugs - now that is a different matter.

- lori

Camped at FW May 8-18, 2004, and had quite a problem with yellow flies. They bite hard and left marks for months. My daughter got bitten by I think the same fly, several times on her back while riding on the bus back from the pool, she finally asked me if something was biting her and I smacked it away. We have another trip scheduled for May 06, so they aren't keeping us away. Hope this info helps. We went back for a short trip over fathers day weekend June 04 and didn't see as many.

I don't know about August - but we just came back yesterday and we encountered the flies at the campsite. they do bite hard and ITCH!!

Well if it is a wet month you will see lots of mosquitos. Don't forget your bug repellent.We live in Florida and have noticed a greater number of mosquitos in the past couple of weeks. Your last trip to Disney we got EAT UP. I actually can't remember ever seeing disney spraying for mosquitos.

Yellow flies?! :confused3

Egads! I know a little something about bugs in the South (lived in Alabama for 5 years in the early 70's) but I've never heard of 'Yellow Flies'.

Are they the type of bug that are repelled by DEET? Or do they just shrug it off and bite you anyway? My DW is a bug hater - (I understand that it's "their turf" and they "come with the territory") but will we be eaten alive on the Swamp Trail @ FW in the a.m. if we are wearing a thick coat of DEET?

Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Thanks,
DVD CM

loriandmatt said:
love bugs - now that is a different matter.

- lori

LOL... Aint that the truth. We are going this August and if I remember the last time we went in August correctly, these things were EVERYWHERE!

Here is a link to a lot of info on the yellow/deer fly. They will still be around but not as bad as in May.

Memph1s said:
Here is a link to a lot of info on the yellow/deer fly. They will still be around but not as bad as in May.

That web site was VERY interesting! As I've never been before I wasn't thinking about bugs....I'll be bringing the DEET!
7.gif

I was just going to link to that page, Memp1s! I did some research on those flies when I came back after my May 2003 trip. No one ever seems to understand how painful those bites can be unless they've actually been bitten. I was wearing sandals when I was bitten, and one of them managed to bite me on the arch of my foot. Seems that the things yellow flies like best are standing water areas, and people's legs and feet!

We were at FW last week and those little yellow flies were horrible. They do bite hard and it does hurt. One bit my dog on tongue so hard that her tongue was bleeding. The mosquitoes are bad too because of all of the rain they are having. They had heavy rains almost every day last week and there was standing water everywhere. Disney is spraying daily, but with that much standing water there is just so much that they can do. It rained so hard Saturday that the sand pad of a site near us was completely covered in water. We had our screen room up to help with the bugs, but it didn't help much with the rain because it was usually a blowing rain.

We just got back from Wilderness too. Those yellow flies were horrible. the kids kept calling them "yellow ladybugs" until they got bit and that was the end of that cute little name! They bothered my husband much more than me, but he said they hurt when they bite. The bug spray didn't keep them away. I don't think we used a very strong one, though. We went the third week of June. I don't know if they are all gone by August. Hopefully they will be.

mommyx4 said:
We just got back from Wilderness too. Those yellow flies were horrible. the kids kept calling them "yellow ladybugs" until they got bit and that was the end of that cute little name! They bothered my husband much more than me, but he said they hurt when they bite. The bug spray didn't keep them away. I don't think we used a very strong one, though. We went the third week of June. I don't know if they are all gone by August. Hopefully they will be.

Having always lived here, yellow/deer flies are normally worst and in full force early and late in the day. I've never had a problem with them throughout the middle of any day.

And yes, they hurt like heck when they bite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter