Yeah, this will sound crazy, but has anyone heard of a wheelchair stolen at disney?

jo-jo

DIS Veteran
Ok, I've asked several questions about who to rent from, getting on buses etc. DH is concerned what if it's stolen. I asked Walker Mobility and they said they have never had that issue. 80% of the time, we'll have the wheelchair with us, but for those few times we leave it parked somewhere...would it be allowed to closed it up and use a bike lock to keep it closed. The CM can still move it. The wheels won't be locked, just the ability to open the seat. How dumb of an idea is this.....slightly dumb, medium dumb or the dumbest thing you ever heard of????

Way back in the day, we used to rent one from Disney for my mama, old fashioned push wheel chair. We had it stolen more than once. Once parked outside Mexico because no way could I push that puppy up there and she could walk a bit, came out and it was gone. Another time at MK outside a ride, she wasn't a big ride fan but loved the land and was able to stand in line for that (it was before Soarin so nothing else in that building) so we parked it outside. Came out and it was gone. This way way back in the 80s so maybe it's improved since then. I don't think you would be allowed to lock it.

So, I think there is a difference between "stolen" and taken because they thought it was a roaming Disney chair. You know, like they have near the parking lot.

Walker would be worried about something being truly stolen. And that hasn't happened for them. They are less concerned about one being moved.

I would think that as long as it can be moved you will be fine. I lock my scooter, by taking the key with me. It can be moved by flipping a switch and pushing it.

Yes, being move 50 ft in one thing, but having someone decide they just can't take another step.....

I just don't want to worry about a chair being taken and being told that chair was valued at a thousand bucks.

Ok, I've asked several questions about who to rent from, getting on buses etc. DH is concerned what if it's stolen. I asked Walker Mobility and they said they have never had that issue. 80% of the time, we'll have the wheelchair with us, but for those few times we leave it parked somewhere...would it be allowed to closed it up and use a bike lock to keep it closed. The CM can still move it. The wheels won't be locked, just the ability to open the seat. How dumb of an idea is this.....slightly dumb, medium dumb or the dumbest thing you ever heard of????
Things do get stolen from Disney but not that often. Most people are too into what they are doing to steal. with this said, it can happen. You can do what ever you would like with your things as long as the CM can move it to make room for other things. would it be worth it to me no.

The park rental ones get taken fairly often, either by mistake or by someone possibly not realizing that they are rented and thinking they are just up for grabs.
Even with the park rental ones, people often put something to help mark it to prevent someone taking it by mistake. Many just use something like a bandana or ribbon on the push handles - somehing that makes it easy to spot.

You could lock it if you want as long as CMs can still move it. But chances of it getting stolen are pretty small.

I agree, the chances are pretty small, but if having a lock makes DH more comfortable, I'll do it. I wanted to make sure it wasn't against the rules.

And thanks to all for answering all my questions. Not just this trip, but also from our first trips with the wheel chair.

Trip is in 4 weeks.

Just remember that wheelchairs that are reported as "stolen" may have simply been moved by Cast Members to a stroller/ECV/wheelchair parking area.

Hence the suggestion to tie a ribbon, bandana or some other kind of "marker" on the handlebars - it helps you quickly identify a rental in a sea of similar devices!

Just remember that wheelchairs that are reported as "stolen" may have simply been moved by Cast Members to a stroller/ECV/wheelchair parking area.

Hence the suggestion to tie a ribbon, bandana or some other kind of "marker" on the handlebars - it helps you quickly identify a rental in a sea of similar devices!

yes, that's the one thing we do already.

Last trip we had a string of tiny christmas light on the stroller. Since we'll have the chair the whole week, maybe we bring along a string for easy nighttime finding.

OT, I have never had a wheelchair stolen at WDW, but I did have one stolen off my front porch!

If it was our own wheelchair, we'd upset, but if it was a rental one, we'd freak. Rental items always seem to be make of solid gold, that's why they cost so much to replace.

I'm not so sure of being outright stolen, but more of " I'm tired, let's use this wheelchair until we get to Germany". While we are still looking around Japan.

I've never thought about anything being taken, other than re-parked. However, I can see with a Disney wheelchair how people may just think they can grab it and use.

Never worried about the scooters I've rented being stolen. I guess I always assumed that insurance was included in the price. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed that? Even so, wouldn't help much coming out of a ride and not being able to walk. Would have to wait on a replacement.

I would assume scooters have a key that would prevent it being stolen. I've heard there is a switch to make it free rolling so CM can move it, but who is going to push a scooter for more than 5 mins.

Using a bike lock is probably putting me in the chicken little the sky is falling camp, but if DH feels more comfortable renting off site, so be it.

Sometimes they repark the wheelchair and scooters. Either my mistake, parked in wrong spot or for some other reason by CM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter