• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

YC not accessible for me :-(

dclfun

DIS Veteran
Well, I promised to report back on our stay at YC. It didn't happen. I'd asked for a room with tub/rails vs. a roll in shower. I can't use a roll-in shower due to being attached to life support equipment which is attached to my chair- the equipment can't get moisture in it. I can't get in a tub either, but need to be able to lean over one for someone to wash my hair, etc. We got into the room only to find a very tiny bathroom with the toilet flush against the tub. The front desk CM happened to be on our floor as we left the room and she saw what I was talking about. She and several others agreed that anyone who needs to transfer or be close to the tub could NEVER use this type room. To top it off, rooms are set up the same at BC and BW, so those were "out".

After having them try to move us to a parking lot view at Poly or Contemp, we agreed to a BCV one-bedroom unit since they said I could use the tub there. Well, the tub was a whirlpool with no rails, so anyone needing the rails couldn't use this. For my purposes ( hair washing and needing privacy in a bathroom large enough for bathing help) it was okay. I couldn't fit in the living area without furniture being moved though, and if someone in a chair wants to use the kitchen...forget it. You couldn't fit in the kitchen and open the refrigerator at the same time.

We did have much better luck during this trip with the busses, and every CM we met was helpful and very nice. These problems are not their fault so I always try to stay pleasant too. I was on my last nerve though from still having a partly collapsed lung and just getting out of the ICU, so I will admit to bursting into tears over the YC room and that disappointment.

I also found out that we can no longer use our DVC membership for a studio ( maybe OKW is different) as NONE of the studios at either BWV, BCV, or WLV have tubs with rails-they only have the roll-in showers. It may be the same with the larger units too, in which case I don't know what to do with our points as this really isn't "fair".

The only other problem we had was 12/22 at MK. We'd spent the morning at AK after noting that MK was open until 11:00. I figured I could see what I wanted at MK from 6-11. Well, the castle show I really wanted to see was out of the question due to the crowds and thus inability to see over everyone. We tried for that twice. The Xmas show in Tomorrowland wasn't running on Sun. or Mon. Then to top it off, all the other things I could do- COP,HOP, Timekeeper, Country Bears, Tiki Birds, Riverboat....all closed early between 8 and 11 !!!!! They only have maps in the resorts and not the schedules, but if I'd had a schedule we could've planned to get to MK earlier. As it was, I left very early since there was nothing I could do . ( I can only ride Small World and Pooh). I was pretty upset over this too. Oh well....

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and that you're still enjoying the holiday season. If anyone else went to WDW, hope you didn't encounter any problems! ---Kathy

I'm so sorry your trip had so many disappointments. I do hope you let DVC management know of the lack of accessiblity for folks with your needs. I'll be sure to get a time schedule and not just a map. Thanks for reporting back.

I am very sorry to read how disappointing your trip to WDW was. Each of us with a disability know/understand what works best for us (& what does not work for us). We each have our own set of circumstances so to speak. For example, from reading your post, you need/want a bathtub with grab bars & not a walk-in shower. I would guess that most handicapped rooms have the walk-in tub. I suspect handicapped accommodations are for the majority & don't take into account the specifics for each individual disability. Does this make sense?

As for DVC, I would highly recommend you call, email or write Jackie Lueders, the DVC Member Satisfaction Manager. I personally met her earlier this month at the OKW annual meeting, & she is concerned about members' satidfaction. You can send her an email at members@disneyvacationclub.com . I would suggest a subject line like "attn: Jackie Lueders." The phone number is 800-800-9800. The mailing address is: DVC, attn; Jackie Lueders, 200 Celebration Place, Celebration, FL 34747.

I have not seen the DCV one-bedroom unit. I am spoiled by the size of & space in a one-bedroom unit at OKW. I don't have any idea if any of the DVC units have grab bars in the tub area. Perhaps Jackie can find out for you (us). I had an ECV (rented from Walker) at a one-bedroom unit at OKW in early December & had no problem getting around. I do know that the newer DVC units are smaller than OKW.

Again I am sorry to read your trip was less than wonderful.

One more thought ... grab bars would be wonderful in many bathtubs, not just for those guests with disabilities. A friend just remodeled her bathroom & had grab bars installed.

I can't understand you not being able to see the Castle Show. Couldn't a castmember put you on the ramp so no one was in your way? This courtesy has been given to me several times over the past few years when the main area was blocked. Most recently at MVMCP this year and as far back as Night of Joy in 1998.
At MVMCP I got there as quickly as possible from the parade but there was no place for me near the interpreters so I let the coordinator know and he just put me on the ramp far enough up so I could see both the interpreters and the show as well as the fireworks that were set off before.
At Night of Joy it was the same situation and I spoke to a cast member who had already placed another person in a wheelchair on the ramp. When I asked about it, there was no problem.

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing trip too.
Last Match, we stayed for 3 days in a 2 bedroom unit at VWL. It was not a wheelchair accessible unit, so I don't know if it would have been easier if it had been. But DD has a narrow adult manual wheelchair which she is very adept at getting around with - especially in tight spots. She had a lot of trouble getting around in our 2 bedroom villa. It was tght all over, not just the bathroom and kitchen. We were very happy to get back to our home resort at OKW. She has no trouble getting around anywhere there in a regular room (she can even get into the refrigerator to get her own milk). We can even get the wheelchair into the bathroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter