*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring as a member of the "We are going in early May and am very skeptical but still plan to go" crowd.

As of right now, United Airlines is only allowing free date changes for fares leaving between now and April 30th, which of course might change but we are leaving May 3rd, and I don't want to eat my plane tickets. Too starchy.

We are booked 5/18 - 5/27. We got every FP and ADR we wanted, its the perfect trip. I'm still the "cautiously optimistic" phase. We are looking a booking a back-up in Oct. By the looks of it, everyone is doing that. Does it seem like there will be a years worth of Disney traffic crammed into 6 months, make the parks super crowded? TIA

We are booked 5/18 - 5/27. We got every FP and ADR we wanted, its the perfect trip. I'm still the "cautiously optimistic" phase. We are looking a booking a back-up in Oct. By the looks of it, everyone is doing that. Does it seem like there will be a years worth of Disney traffic crammed into 6 months, make the parks super crowded? TIA
I know.......we too were able to arrange our favorite fastpasses exactly when we wanted them, arranged our ADR’s perfectly, had our park days arranged perfectly, have 3 after hours parties for 10-18 and bam, it will all probably not happen. But i am being optimistic that if May doesnt happen our backup in Sept will. My only concern for May, if they do open, is will it be all 4 parks, all the rides, any fireworks, dining at capacity. If not, we are still going in Sept.

Booked 4/29-5/5 I guess just going to wait and see but it does look like the fast passes I worked so hard to get will be worthless and im not really understand how this virtual boarding thing would work for multiple rides....

Ok, gang, I heard something on the radio this morning I wanted to share.

It was a story about a little girl that has been practicing and preparing for the last year for her piano recital, and now it's canceled. She is or course upset and devastated to be missing it because of all of her hard work and anticipation. Her mother explained to her that the sacrifice she is making now could be what makes a huge difference in the lives of people she will never meet. That because of this sacrifice, someone may not get sick or worse. That her sacrifice could be what helps another child share more Christmases or birthdays with a grandparent, it could be what gives another family a chance to make more memories.

If we have to cancel our May trip, this is going to be the silver lining I'm going to be thinking of.

As someone with immunocomprised loved ones, thank you. If only everyone had such an attitude.

Booked 4/29-5/5 I guess just going to wait and see but it does look like the fast passes I worked so hard to get will be worthless and im not really understand how this virtual boarding thing would work for multiple rides....

I feel like I missed something. Why would the FPs be worthless?

I feel like I missed something. Why would the FPs be worthless?

The CDC changed its recommendations, now it’s to limit gatherings to no more than 50 people, for the next 8 weeks. At least a few entities have adjusted closures in the wake of that, like Major League Soccer which extended its season postponement until 5/10. TMZ also broke news that a 34 year old CA man who just died from the virus visited both WDW and the Universal parks. TMZ is trash but generally they are spot on when it comes to medical reporting.

I feel like debbie downer but I’ve been saying a lot that folk who think this is gonna be over in 2 weeks are being unrealistic and that I don’t know why some with canceled trips were rebooking for May. Every sign right now is pointing to an extended closure.

The CDC changed its recommendations, now it’s to limit gatherings to no more than 50 people, for the next 8 weeks. At least a few entities have adjusted closures in the wake of that, like Major League Soccer which extended its season postponement until 5/10. TMZ also broke news that a 34 year old CA man who just died from the virus visited both WDW and the Universal parks. TMZ is trash but generally they are spot on when it comes to medical reporting.

I feel like debbie downer but I’ve been saying a lot that folk who think this is gonna be over in 2 weeks are being unrealistic and that I don’t know why some with canceled trips were rebooking for May. Every sign right now is pointing to an extended closure.

It was the virtual boarding thing in lieu of FPs that confused me but I’ve since found a rumor thread indicating they would open with reduced rides / entertainment (possibly using a boarding system to avoid crowded lines).

I agree that it‘s unlikely for the parks to open in May. I have a May 5th trip booked that I’m struggling to say goodbye to.:sad:

Every day the light gets a little dimmer on our trip for May I think. IF I were to move it, I'd have to choose November I think. Right now because of the uncertainty of what the world is going to be once this is over, I have to wonder if it's even wise to consider a trip :(

We have a reservation for May 9-16. I’m at peace that it’s probably not happening so now I’m looking forward to November. At least we will get to see the Christmas decorations.
We're scheduled 5/14-18 and I'm not quite there yet with rescheduling but like you have accepted it.

I'm also starting to figure out how to pull off a fall trip now for DD (this was a trip for her specifically, just the two of us). I was looking at late Oct or early November, but I love the idea of seeing the Christmas decorations is a bright point, thank you :)
(and maybe I'll look into MVMCP since we've never done that)

We'll be looking at October, I think potentially. We just did November this year and haven't done Halloween in a really long time. Of course, my AP expires in August. I'll worry about that if it comes to it.

I think we came to the conclusion today it will be best to move our May (8-11) to October/Nov. Hubby knows I'm bummed and told me to go ahead and book 10/29 - 11/4. So we went from a 4 to 7 days and we should get to see a bit of the Christmas decor....silver lining!

Well.... I am currently going to keep my May 1-9th reservation for now until I hear otherwise from Disney, AND I just booked my backup for September. Hopefully they will honor my friends date specific ticket. Booked back up for Pop Sept 25-Oct 1. Instead of VAH will go to MNSSHP. Hopefully I will hear this crisis is over and the May trips are on, but I am not counting on it at this point. I just hope Disney will make a timely announcement so I can work on changing flights and dining.

I truly hope all are safe and continue to be well. I pray our young people will listen and stay off the beaches and other public places so this can get under somewhat of a semblance of control.

Today is National Happiness day, so I have posted a photo that brings me happiness:

darn it says the attachment is too large! It was a photo of the Magic Kingdom with the Happily Ever Fireworks!

Last edited:
May 16-20 for us. Trying to figure out alternate dates as I type this with my sis and her hubby, and my niece who lives out of state. So far July is looking likely. Hopefully.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter