YAY!!! I FINALLY finished!!!

Aliceacc

DIS Veteran
As a high school teacher, part of my job is writing letters of recommendation for colleges.

I FINALLY finished this year's set (for the upcoming Seniors.) I just wrote number 37, and downloaded them all onto Naviance, the college application site.

I love writing, and it's always easy to think of good things to say about my kids. But since it's hard to write more than 2 or maybe 3 at a setting-- otherwise they all begin to sound the same-- this is a huge weight off my mind.

I'll just sign my hard copies and run them down to school today or tomorrow.

Let summer begin!

That is a big job!

I can imagine your relief in finally completing this task that the colleges burden the applicants and teachers as a requirement for admission. What we all know is that students that were unremarkable in the high school years can go on to achieve extraordianry success. How does one write this letter of recommendation for the current underachiever or quiet and low visibility student that will one day benefit the world?

You took the the time to help each of those thirty seven students students with their future by writing those. That is also something you have been doing all along since they first entered into your classroom.

The funny thing with those unremarkable kids is that they're --hopefully-- some mom's whole life. She worries about them, about the friends they're making, about each math test they took in my class, about the choices they're making.

Once you see them in that light, the letters are easier to write.

That's a lot of letters!!! How nice of you to give your time and effort to all these kids!!

YAY! Now you can enjoy the summer
:yay:
Alice, it is so wonderful that you take the time to really write personalized letters that truly reflect that student, and don't want to fall into the trap of having them all sound the same. I bet your students really appreciate it :goodvibes

I'm not looking for compliments-- this really is part of the job.

But I couldn't write generic letters. Each of my kids, like my own children, is different from each of the others. It's just a matter of sitting down in front of the computer in a quiet house, and of focusing in on the strengths of each kid.

But I am so happy it's done. It never really feels like summer until I get that done!! Last week was summer school-- a one week course (4 hours a day plus 2 or so hours of homework, with a final at the end of the week. If you fail the final, you've failed out of the school. All 4 of the kids I taught passed comfortably.)

So now it's summer!!!! And we leave for WDW 3 weeks from today. :)

The funny thing with those unremarkable kids is that they're --hopefully-- some mom's whole life. She worries about them, about the friends they're making, about each math test they took in my class, about the choices they're making.

This literally made me tear up. DS is 5 and will be in K next year. I hope he always has the blessing of teachers that think like you.

As a mom of an unremarkable HS student, thank you! :goodvibes I really worry about my DS when it comes time for those letters. He's a pretty good student but doesn't stand out at all. (Math happens to be his least favorite subject but this year the teacher was one of his favorites :thumbsup2 )

You only have 37 students??? I thought most teachers had more than that.
I'm guessing that she did not have to write a letter for every student she has in class. Not all kids go to college. I'm also guessing that she doesn't only teach only seniors.

Alice Kudos! I know how long writing letters take! At the end of school, I give each of my students a letter telling them why I think they are amazing. I have 110 students, so I often start in January. My letters aren't nearly as long or indepth as yours likely are, so I can imagine the time you have put in!

You only have 37 students??? I thought most teachers had more than that.

Last year I had 4 Algebra classes of about 38 each, and 3 SAT prep classes of about 35 each. The year before I had 5 geometry classes of about 38 each.

Each of our Juniors selects 3 teachers to write a letter. The College Placement Office divides them up to try to avoid overwhelming any one teacher. But as a math teacher, I tend to get a lot.

I can tell from this statement what a great teacher you are! I wish you could have my introverted son this year or next. He's a good kid and makes A's and B's, but I definitely worry since he doesn't make straight A's, rec letters are going to be hard.

Enjoy your summer!!!!!

The reality is that, once you leave the Disboards, MOST kids don't get straight A's...and an awful lot would kill for a B.

There's a college out there for him. And, if he's a good kid, there should be a multitude of teachers happy to write his letters.

Last year I had 4 Algebra classes of about 38 each, and 3 SAT prep classes of about 35 each. The year before I had 5 geometry classes of about 38 each.

Each of our Juniors selects 3 teachers to write a letter. The College Placement Office divides them up to try to avoid overwhelming any one teacher. But as a math teacher, I tend to get a lot.

Ah, I wondered how you would already have your letter requests. I've never encountered a school that has kids check teachers off on a form in preference order. Here, it is up to the kids to privately ask for a reference. They all ask the teachers in whose classes they have the best grades, and predictably, they all ask at the last minute. The poor teachers have to use templates, or they would never manage.

I'm severely tee'd off at DS right now over this issue. He went nuts last year and all but stopped turning in his homework: he blew off 30 assignments in all, some for every teacher he had. I'm sure that they will still agree to write something if he asks, but I'm equally sure that every one of them is going to mention his tendency toward unreliability. Like I told him, you reap what you sow, and what he reaps in terms of college acceptances isn't likely to be a whole heck of a lot. (He will still find a spot, I know, but it isn't going to be at any of the schools he has on his list.)

Thanks for your dedication and caring ways, Alice. Many appreciate it. The kids you work with are better because of you.

Enjoy the summer and your trip to Disney World, both so well deserved.

Dan

This literally made me tear up. DS is 5 and will be in K next year. I hope he always has the blessing of teachers that think like you.

Yes, me too. My kids tend to be bright, but not gifted, well behaved, but a bit shy and completely unathletic (except the youngest who is maybe slightly athletic). None seem to be musically talented, although the older two are somewhat artistic, in other words, unremarkable, but to me they are special. I hope they meet teachers like you along the way.

Wow that is a cool program. :thumbsup2

My dd is a senior and is waiting until she goes back for classes. Did not think of that. Then again they do not assign teachers for that. She already has teachers in mind for her letters.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

I do not know if your school does this or not - my DD's high school has a form the students need to fill out when they are requesting a letter of recommendation. On the form, the students "HAVE" to write out 2 or 3 bullet points that help the teacher write out the letters. I.e - what majors are they considering, what volunteer work do they do related to the specific class, etc.

My DD only asked 1 teacher when she was a junior, simply because this math teacher was retiring, and DD was considering going in to actuarial sciences, so, the course was definitely related to her studies. At DD's school, the letters of recommendation stuff usually doesn't begin until the fall.

Just tossing in a random comment - as a mom who has BTDT - your students need to make the request for recommendation letters ASAP when school starts. At a certain point - teachers at DD's school can say "no, I do not have time to get this done in the next day because you asked me at the last minute, and you are "25th" on the list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter