• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yak & Yeti w/ sesame allergy

akelly

Mouseketeer
Hello,

My DD16 has a sesame and soy allergy. Thankfully it is not as severe as some people's. We do not have to be extremely cautious about cross-contamination.
That being said has anyone eaten at Yak and Yeti and have any thoughts on eating there and avoiding sesame and soy? Do you think it's possible?

Thanks so much!

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?Restaurant.ID=473
Anandapur Yak and Yeti Restaurant

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=25663043#post25663043&highlight=yak
BeckyScott wrote:
Except. Yak & Yeti. They didn't do "the routine" like the other table services. The CMs in front did not pull us up on the computer (which everyone else did, and therefore saw the allergy note) The chef didn't seem to know we were coming. He didn't have the notepad. There weren't as many options. It seemed more like they weren't expecting us, even though they were notified far in advance and all the other table services were prepared.

I LOVE Thai food and chinese food but am gluten and soy free. I have looked at this menu before more than once stared, hungering for the food. It is possible to eat there and be soy and sesame free but personally I doubt it. The kitchen will have odours from food laden with soy and undoubtably there could be cross contamination.

In any restaurant that uses large amounts of an allergen I would be worried about cross contamination. I do not eat in pizza places because of the flour in the kitchens, not even a plain piece of meat and a baked potato.

However you say the allergies are not that bad so probably the cross contamination wont hurt him if it happens but you will still have to be very diligent. Even if it is mild you should say NO soy or sesame.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I was just coming to say we didn't have a very good experience there. We weren't avoiding sesame and soy. But they seemed much much less "in the loop". I personally would have rated it far on the bottom of every other place we ate at, even with the non-allergy food, and we wouldn't go back there.

I am trying to remember, I think DS ended up with plain chicken pieces on skewers and white rice and some vegetable. No dessert option. Thankfully DS doesn't have severe reactions either, because I wouldn't have trusted them.

Every place else, not a problem at all, they were great and he ate better than he does at home.

I have a food allergy (coconut), and I was very disappointed in the way they handle allergens. I felt they were very flippant and didn't really care. A chef never came out to me, the manager spoke to "him" via two way radio. Luckily I do not have a life threatening allergy, but I for one will not go there again.

There are lots of onsite and offsite restaurants that are not a hodge podge of cultures thrown on a menu.

Nine Dragons for Chinese food in Epcot
Kimonos for Japanese at the Swan
Teppan Edo for Japanese at Epcot
Ohana at the Polynesian
Benihana at the Hilton

Those are ones I have eaten at or heard of. Hey BeckyScott, glad you could drop by.

Y and Y is not a WDW owned place so you get the same allergy help you get most regular places--not much. Yes, as people described they will get you something to eat but is it going to be a great experience probably not. Personally it's not worth it to me risking things to get sick on vacation.

"Yak & Yeti has a staff of 180. A third of the workers came from Animal Kingdom’s Rainforest Café, another third from the Rainforest at Downtown Disney, and the rest are new hires."

I have eaten at many Landry's restaurants over the years but primarily Rainforest Cafe. I can say that every Landry's restaurant has been very good with handling allergies and special diets. It is strange that a Landry's owned restaurant would fail so dismally. I wonder if their new T Rex restaurant opening in WDW will be just as bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter