Yachtman's With a 1 Year Old

Yikes! I would've said something, especially with how much you're paying to be there. I remember years ago I ate at Napa Rose in Disneyland and a girl (maybe 6-7 years old?) at the table next to us kept running around the table. At one point she sat at OUR table and tried talking to us and showing us videos on her iPad. We kept *gently* shooing her away but she kept coming back. I agree with your last sentence. Just because it's Disney doesn't excuse bad behavior but I also don't get people that 100% hate seeing kids in restaurants at WDW.
I think the hate comes from the instances of ill behavior not being addressed is becoming the norm. My kids started going to nice restaurants in NYC when they were babies and they learned early on, act up, get loud = sitting on the curb. It only took a couple removals for them to realize the fun was not on the curb. I've always said "if my kids are with me, then there is no vacation from parenting" BUT I know others don't always have that philosophy. At Disney the hate is probably accelerated because folks are spending so much more money to have a nice meal, and just because it is Disney doesn't mean bad behavior or outdoor voices are okay. I don't think people mean to hate seeing kids but from their experiences at Disney they likely had more than a few meals ruined. :sad1:

if the child doesn't scream constantly, run around or throw stuff, have at it. A place like Yachtsman you will be there for a long time, so maybe be prepared to take him outside for a bit to decompress if necessary.

I plan on bringing my 18 month old baby there. She’s a pretty good baby but does like babbling. She makes friends with surrounding tables waving to people. It’s Disney, babies are everywhere. I never was bothered before having a kid when I went to dinners at the fancier restaurants at Disney. Only thing that ever bothers me if someone has an iPad playing loudly in a restaurant

I understand many parents use phone/iPad as a helper. But for the love of all things GET AND USE HEADPHONES! No one, really no one wants to hear the idiotic sounds emitting from the device. It’s so rude! Where has common courtesy gone?

Unfortunately, my two year old does not understand/refuses to wear headphones. He hates anything on his head. We do keep the volume on our phone very low, no louder than a normal conversation. Definitely quieter than him screaming!

Take my opinion for what it's worth (not even 2 cents). As a child free couple we expect lots of babies, toddlers, and children at Disney. Happy kids with engaged parents are a delight! I love seeing babies and toddlers having fun, engaging with their environment, and learning social skills.
To be honest, I've seen some adults having meltdowns worse than toddlers at Disney at times. I think it's like most experiences...if things completely go off the rails then have a Plan B in your back pocket but I wouldn't stress about it. To me, if you are engaged with child and aware of your surroundings (i.e. an Ipad at top volume is not pleasant for anyone) then children of all ages are more than welcome. How can they learn how to behave in restaurants if they are never taken out to one? I don't think you should limit yourself just because you have a baby as long as you have a plan going in. I hope you have a wonderful dinner!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my two year old does not understand/refuses to wear headphones. He hates anything on his head. We do keep the volume on our phone very low, no louder than a normal conversation. Definitely quieter than him screaming!
It might not sound that way to you but the rest of us don't want to listen to an Ipad. I guarantee you that we can hear it and it's annoying. I don't expect your child to use headphones if it is uncomfortable but the alternative is for you to figure something else out beyond an ipad with volume. I don't want to be rude, but everyone else's options shouldn't be listening to your child screaming or listening to their Ipad. That's when you need to rethink taking a child to a restaurant.

Then put the electronic babysitter away and come up with another way to entertain him,we can all hear that phone droning on and nobody wants to hear an undercurrent of cartoons and cutesy songs while trying to eat. I can’t imagine how annoying it must be next to a table with a phone on at a normal conversation level volume

The stress of the "what ifs" of having a baby in that enviornment would probably cause me to not enjoy the meal at all. We didn't do many meals out when they were young because the stress of it all wasn't worth it to us because we WERE so concerned about others.

I'm a mom of 4 so totally get it. When we do yachtsman its just hubs and I for a special dinner (and to get away from our kids!) and a screaming baby (which is different from just a fussy baby) would definitely not be appreciated.

I say if you have no other choice (meaning nobody to watch them) and they start screaming (different than just fussing) be prepared to maybe take them outside to settle down.

Then put the electronic babysitter away and come up with another way to entertain him,we can all hear that phone droning on and nobody wants to hear an undercurrent of cartoons and cutesy songs while trying to eat. I can’t imagine how annoying it must be next to a table with a phone on at a normal conversation level volume
I mean, he’s watching cartoons on Disney Plus. If that being played on a low volume in a quick service or loud table service restaurant at *Disney World* is bothersome, I don’t know what to tell you.

(For what it’s worth, we don’t take him to Yachtsman, or any other signatures. I like quiet time, too.)

Normally, I would say bring him - but at someplace like Yachtsman (signature restaurant), what you find tolerable with your child might not make other diners meals pleasurable. It's probably been a long day for baby, I'd probably look to dine earlier at a non-signature.

I honestly think babies are rarely an issue, it's the older kids that run around like they're in a playground at a restaurant. I'll never forget being in Jiko and having two kids with wheelies going up and down with them nearly knocking over waitstaff. I still have no idea who their parents were.

I've got two younger kids and my youngest can be a real issue when she's not in the mood and we make it very clear that when she starts acting up if she does not calm down one of us will just leave with her. We can and have carried her kicking and screaming out to sit in the car in the middle of a meal rather than subject other people to a sudden meltdown.

We've also made it clear that if they borrow our phones to watch something during dinner that the sound will be off and it will just be watching some video or other--which they're usually fine with.

TLDR: if you're asking about this you're probably a parent that will go the extra mile to try to make sure their kids aren't disruptive and so things will be fine!

Children aren’t the problem. It’s when parents refuse to care that the child is ruining other couples meals …and at Yachtsman, many times it’s a special occasion. If the child acts up, remove them till they calm down. Be prepared to ruin your own meal before ruining everyone else‘s in the restaurant. Fortunately my kids were usually well behaved, but if they were having a bad night I ate a cold steak…. Use common sense.

I mean, he’s watching cartoons on Disney Plus. If that being played on a low volume in a quick service or loud table service restaurant at *Disney World* is bothersome, I don’t know what to tell you.

(For what it’s worth, we don’t take him to Yachtsman, or any other signatures. I like quiet time, too.)
And this mindset is exactly what frustrates people. No, you don't get to impose your child's cartoons on the rest of us. Disney or otherwise. I know exactly what to tell you, it's rude and frankly entitled. For what it's worth I don't need or want to listen to adults or children on a speakerphone at any sit down eating establishment and having your child watch TV is the same as listening to someone on speakerphone. You're the parent. Figure it out. And before you say anything about us being childfree, I have tons of kids I've babysat and nieces and nephews and I never pulled out a phone to entertain them at a meal. It's lazy. Also, you changed the parameters because of the responses and said "quick service and LOUD table service" which wasn't the question.
Any parent who is actually concerned if their baby or toddler is going to bother other guests is the kind of parent I want to sit next to and honestly if I see a parent trying when a little one is having a melt down my heart goes out to them. Kids are kids. You are doing your best.
Any parent who says "I don't know what to tell you" is the kind of parent who should stay home, get take out and let the kid watch cartoons. Just my opinion of course.

As you see, you get mixed reviews.....From my POV being a young person whose never had kids, I expect kids to be at Disney or most public restaurants. However, I would hope that reservations 8pm or later would have little to no young kids. Of course, this is just a hope, not an expectation. You can do whatever you feel is right, you know your kid more than anyone. If it were me, I wouldn't dine at an upscale restaurant with a little kid with a reservation past 7pm.

So people who don’t have kids don’t get to give parenting advice,that’s grating and ridiculous. Children don’t stop existing after 8pm like they are some kind of gremlin.anyone reading this should feel free to take their gremlins to any restaurant during any opening hours whether it is 12 noon, 5pm or 10pm. Especially at Disney world where restaurants are always full of kids at all hours and where 8pm is 5pm to someone coming from California. If you don’t want to see kids go to V and A

But you do have to parent them.a phone without headphones is not childcare. Common sense please

So people who don’t have kids don’t get to give parenting advice,that’s grating and ridiculous. Children don’t stop existing after 8pm like they are some kind of gremlin.anyone reading this should feel free to take their gremlins to any restaurant during any opening hours whether it is 12 noon, 5pm or 10pm. Especially at Disney world where restaurants are always full of kids at all hours and where 8pm is 5pm to someone coming from California. If you don’t want to see kids go to V and A

But you do have to parent them.a phone without headphones is not childcare. Common sense please
Not sure if anyone said they don't want to see kids....

We didn't bring ours to WDW until my youngest had just turned 2, so my Disney signature restaurant experience starts at that age range. That being said, California Grill was my girls' first true signature. I just looked for the cues that they might be getting antsy and we'd take a walk. We went out to eat pretty often at home, so we'd have fun non-disruptive activities we could do at the table as well to help keep them happy. Their times at Cali Grill when they were young were also later meals, since I wanted fireworks timed dining. So, to heck with the suggestions of keeping with earlier ADRs...book what works best for you. I played around with nap and rest time earlier in the day, and throughout the trip, to ensure they were well rested before a nice meal or big evening event. I'm pretty sure fireworks started at 10pm on their first visit to Cali Grill. They never went to Yachtsman when they were young, but we've seen plenty of younger kids and infants in there. We did some finer dining locally when ours were infants (6-12mos) and we employed the same strategies and had wonderful meals. Book the meal you want and enjoy! :)

It's not like people came on here and started complaining about seeing children in Disney. The OP didn't ask for advice from "other parents". They asked for advice from "other diners".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter