Yacht Club vs Hard Rock

Thomasboys

Mouseketeer
I shot gunned a trip to Orlando when I found airfare for $150 per person! It is a QUICK trip in a few weeks with a late arrival on Thursday evening and an evening departure on Sunday evening. Disney parks are not a consideration as we have a Disney trip in October and we typically go every year. On this trip we want to go to Universal (never been) and stay at Yacht Club and enjoy the pool.

We can either check-in to the Hard Rock Thursday night, do Universal Friday (totally fine with gutting this out after a late night check-in), and then check in to Yacht Club Friday night and enjoy the pool on Saturday and Sunday before we head out. -OR- check in to Yacht Club on Thursday night, enjoy the pool on Friday (just wouldn't have an actual room after Friday check-out) and then check-in at the Hard Rock Friday night, do Universal on Saturday and pool day Sunday morning before we head to the airport. The cost difference really isn't a factor. I'm leaning towards more time at Yacht Club...but would love some feedback!

Hmm, what part of the trip are you looking forward to more? Hard Rock or YC? I'd prefer to end my trip in the place I'd be happier/more excited about. I have a hard time with decisions like this too since it's not just me and it impacts my whole family. I'd poll your travel group and ask them what they prefer and if they say "I don't care", which my family does this to me ALL THE TIME, I'd go through the itinerary and ensure they fully understand.

Either plan sounds great to me. I've not stayed at Hard Rock but it looks really nice.

Hmm, what part of the trip are you looking forward to more? Hard Rock or YC? I'd prefer to end my trip in the place I'd be happier/more excited about. I have a hard time with decisions like this too since it's not just me and it impacts my whole family. I'd poll your travel group and ask them what they prefer and if they say "I don't care", which my family does this to me ALL THE TIME, I'd go through the itinerary and ensure they fully understand.

Either plan sounds great to me. I've not stayed at Hard Rock but it looks really nice.
Wellllll...it is a total surprise. I think we'd like Yacht Club better and relaxing by the pool at the end of the vacation...and Yacht Club's pool seems to be better...

A lot will probably depend on your family members, at least that would be the case for me. We have 2 kids age 20 and they would both prefer the extra day at Universal parks and one day lounging at the YC pool. And I agree to end your trip at the place that your family will enjoy most. Have fun!

I've stayed at both and, as PP noted, I wouldn't discount the Hard Rock pool. I think I vote for YC first so you can check out both pools. I really don't think the BC/YC pool is that great, quite honestly and I wouldn't set aside two days for it.
I sort agree that Stormalong bay is overrated. Maybe a wee little kid would like the sand bottom section but I dislike how the pools aren’t connected and 6 foot deep lazy river is ridiculous. You have a lazy river, slide and big pool at Cabana Bay for 1/2 the price.You could use the savings and go to Volcano Bay.

I sort agree that Stormalong bay is overrated. Maybe a wee little kid would like the sand bottom section but I dislike how the pools aren’t connected and 6 foot deep lazy river is ridiculous. You have a lazy river, slide and big pool at Cabana Bay for 1/2 the price.You could use the savings and go to Volcano Bay.

Not to derail the thread too much, but to this point, I really dislike how you have to cross over the pathway to get to the slide. So hard to keep an eye on your kids when they have to leave the area to get to the slide.

Not to derail the thread too much, but to this point, I really dislike how you have to cross over the pathway to get to the slide. So hard to keep an eye on your kids when they have to leave the area to get to the slide.
Agree! And to find seats by the pool.... another whole mess. I don't find SAB relaxing at all, too much going on and you are seated (again, if you can find seats) right on top of eachother. I am one of the minority of people who strongly dislike the Y&B Club. Stayed at each once and won't do it again. I prefer the WL or Poly.

I shot gunned a trip to Orlando when I found airfare for $150 per person! It is a QUICK trip in a few weeks with a late arrival on Thursday evening and an evening departure on Sunday evening. Disney parks are not a consideration as we have a Disney trip in October and we typically go every year. On this trip we want to go to Universal (never been) and stay at Yacht Club and enjoy the pool.

We can either check-in to the Hard Rock Thursday night, do Universal Friday (totally fine with gutting this out after a late night check-in), and then check in to Yacht Club Friday night and enjoy the pool on Saturday and Sunday before we head out. -OR- check in to Yacht Club on Thursday night, enjoy the pool on Friday (just wouldn't have an actual room after Friday check-out) and then check-in at the Hard Rock Friday night, do Universal on Saturday and pool day Sunday morning before we head to the airport. The cost difference really isn't a factor. I'm leaning towards more time at Yacht Club...but would love some feedback!

With a stay at the Hard Rock, you'll have access to Universal Express Pass Unlimited for the length of your stay, including check-in and check-out days. Since you've never done Universal before, is there any chance you might want to do more than one park day? A couple of days (or 1.5 days) with unlimited EPs could be a lot of fun, with a chance to do more at both Universal parks.

I'd start at YC and then head to HRH. You'll get one for sure pool day at YC on Friday, one for sure park day at Universal on Saturday, and you'd have the option of doing a second park day or second pool day on Sunday, depending on what your family wanted more. You can also use the other pools at Universal hotels, so you can do a bit of pool hopping to see if there's anything you like as much as SB.

I agree.... I would 100000% check out the lazy river at Cabana bay which has 2 pools plus the lazy river.... On a side note you can also bring your own tube otherwise you need to buy one but a lot got passed around with checkouts/ins in the past. Kind of odd that universal has a lazy river in a more value resort than a deluxe like Disney but I guess just to cater to families more. I love Disney but I will say the food and pools at the universal - Loews owned hotels are for the most part better than what Disney has to offer. I however I'm not a fan of the food in the universal parks its ok.

I like where you are going with this!! I would vote for this option as well.

Honestly I love Hard Rock, it is the only hotel we've stayed at at Universal. We have also only done club level. I love Disney but I really enjoyed staying at Hard Rock. Last year our trip was extended due to bad weather at home. We rented a cabana and spent the entire day at the pool. It was the most relaxed I have been in a long time. Also I don't find switching hotels relaxing at all.

Stormalong Bay is the opposite of relaxing. It's massive. It's pumping kids' music. There's a lot going on. If you have little ones, you have to keep moving to keep eyes on them. It can be difficult to get a seat. SAB does have a massive waterslide, but that's all it's got on similar properties. And if you want a massive waterslide, you could go to the waterpark outside Margaritaville.

If your goal is a pool, I'd do the lazy river at the Hilton, they share it with a couple other Hilton properties.

If your goal is Universal, I'd just stay at a Universal hotel. Much better value for money.

I love the Yacht club and the pool is amazing.... Here is the huge BUT, if you stay at the hard rock you will have express passed for universal included in your room stay. The price of the express pass is expensive. its worth giving up the yacht club for the savings. Thats just my two cents. We stayed there in Oct 2022 for a long weekend. It doesn't compare if you are a mouse fan but worth a try once in your life to say you did it.

As much as Yacht Club is my favorite Dis "home", if you are only planning on doing Universal Parks anyways staying at Hard Rock makes so much more sense for a few reasons...the most important one being the free Universal Express Pass Unlimited with your Hard Rock stay! If you want to enjoy a lazy river you can also resort pool hop since Hard Rock is a premier hotel at UO and can spend some time over at CB too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter