• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yacht Club or Poly for family of older teens

minniejack

Mouseketeer Thug
I've had Poly booked since January, but now I'm rethinking that choice.

We're a family of 4: 2 forty somethings and 2 teens will turn 15 and 17 while there in August

I've seen the new bedding at the Yacht and those definitely look better than the Poly. The sailboat bedding is the #1 reason why I never booked it the 1st place--reminded the kids of a grandma's bedroom.:goodvibes

Some people say the Poly is dirty and dated, others say the opposite.

how long does it normally take to get from Yacht to MK resorts for dinner ressies at the 8pm time frame?

Yacht would be about $190 cheaper for 8 nights with a 40% pin code for club level at both.

We already plan on b-day celebrations at the GF and have ressies for California Grill. 4 nights are at MK area and 4 at the Epcot restaurants. We could potentially do a split stay (not sure if worth the hassle). I was already able to change a few ADR's so that we could stay at Yacht 1st, then Poly.

Or Keep Poly or switch to yacht for the hot tubs and pool or split stay with Yacht 1st, then Poly?:confused3

I always wanted to Yacht and DH always said Poly--just not sure after reading everyone's comments about the 2 what's the best for us.:confused3

The Epcot Resort area is much better for older teens and adults. They'll want to spend more time at Epcot and the Studios than the Magic Kingdom. Yacht Club has a much better pool than the Poly, and you've also got the Boardwalk right across the lagoon.

As for the resorts themselves, the Poly is definitely more popular on the DIS, but any travel site or guide book you'll read will tell you, the Yacht Club is by far the better overall resort. In fact, I was just reading that in 2008 or 2009's Travel and Lesiure magazine, the Yacht Club ranked as the 26th best hotel in the US. The only other Disney Resort to rank in the top 100 was the GF, which was in the 50's.

If you plan on more time at MK, stay at the Poly.If you think you will be at Epcot or HS pick the YC. I agree with the PP as with Teens the Epcot resort area is the place to be.You can take a bus or the Monorail, or a cab for your dinner ressies' or plan to be at MK for one or two of those nights.I'm not a big fan of split stays but alot of people on these boards do them all the time.Have fun at either resort you choose:thumbsup2:cool1::cool1::cool1:

I've stayed at both and my family prefers BC/YC. We did a Grand Gathering two years ago and everyone (from ages 3-80) loves BC/YC. The rooms have recently been re-done.

The pool at BC/YC is 100 times better than the pool at the Poly. It is so nice to be able to walk over to EPCOT for dinner. In our experience the bus ride to MK is about 15 minutes - tops. On the way back we sometimes take the monorail to EPCOT and walk back to the International Gateway.

Both are great resorts but we feel YC/BC beats the Poly overall.

Good luck making a decision.

We also have stayed at both and my family LOVES YC! My girls were 13 and 17 our 1st stay at YC and fell in love with the Boardwalk area. Walking back to the YC after Illuminations is awesome!:cheer2:Last year, my DD20 and I did a short stay at YC in August and loved swimming in SAB at night after a day of walking.:flower3:

We are in just about the same position as you are...2 forty-somethings and two older teens (both 16 y/o girls). We chose BC as our resort this trip. We have not stayed in the Epcot area before and thought it would be a nice change (we have stayed at Poly) and that the girls could have a little more freedom to check things out and actually have things to do. With BWI and Epcot so close I would not feel afraid to let them move about a little more. Now they would have a cell phone at all times and I would never be far away.

We do plan on an anniversary dinner "alone" at the Yachtsman Steakhouse and are letting the girls eat at Beaches and Cream and then watch the movie on the beach without us that night. I have to let them grow up at some point :confused3

We also have stayed at both and my family LOVES YC! My girls were 13 and 17 our 1st stay at YC and fell in love with the Boardwalk area. Walking back to the YC after Illuminations is awesome!:cheer2:Last year, my DD20 and I did a short stay at YC in August and loved swimming in SAB at night after a day of walking.:flower3:
thanks for all of the advice, I'm thinking my feet will appreciate the hot tubs at the end of the long day

Now, to convince DH--kids really don't care. We've been doing Uni for the past several years and they are just excited to see what they've missed.:goodvibes Which of course is It's A Small World ride--they were updating it the last time we were there in 2004 so they can't remember very much about it and now they're starting a rehab the week before we go.:sad2:

The Epcot Resort area is much better for older teens and adults. They'll want to spend more time at Epcot and the Studios than the Magic Kingdom. Yacht Club has a much better pool than the Poly, and you've also got the Boardwalk right across the lagoon.

As for the resorts themselves, the Poly is definitely more popular on the DIS, but any travel site or guide book you'll read will tell you, the Yacht Club is by far the better overall resort. In fact, I was just reading that in 2008 or 2009's Travel and Lesiure magazine, the Yacht Club ranked as the 26th best hotel in the US. The only other Disney Resort to rank in the top 100 was the GF, which was in the 50's.

googled this info and found out that #22 is one of our faves Portofino at Uni, BC is #21, #13 Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk is #11, AK is #4.

One from my homestate of WV is the Greenbrier at #15:banana:

here's the link http://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/americas-best-hotels-for-families-2009/50

thanks again:thumbsup2

Although we LOVE Poly, last trip my 14 year old grandson loved the Boardwalk area--he liked walking around the boardwalk at night, and he really enjoyed the ESPN arcade.

I don't agree with some of their choices on that list. More like an advertisment thing.

Besides, #2, the DT Omni in San Antonio is NOT a first class 5* hotel they are making it out to be, and it's certainly not that family friendly. Go figure that one! :confused3 (I personally know as DH and I have stayed there many times.) Certainly not #2!!!! :lmao:

Take this list with a grain of salt. YMMV. :laughing:

I've had Poly booked since January, but now I'm rethinking that choice.

We're a family of 4: 2 forty somethings and 2 teens will turn 15 and 17 while there in August

I've seen the new bedding at the Yacht and those definitely look better than the Poly. The sailboat bedding is the #1 reason why I never booked it the 1st place--reminded the kids of a grandma's bedroom.:goodvibes

Some people say the Poly is dirty and dated, others say the opposite.

how long does it normally take to get from Yacht to MK resorts for dinner ressies at the 8pm time frame?

Yacht would be about $190 cheaper for 8 nights with a 40% pin code for club level at both.

We already plan on b-day celebrations at the GF and have ressies for California Grill. 4 nights are at MK area and 4 at the Epcot restaurants. We could potentially do a split stay (not sure if worth the hassle). I was already able to change a few ADR's so that we could stay at Yacht 1st, then Poly.

Or Keep Poly or switch to yacht for the hot tubs and pool or split stay with Yacht 1st, then Poly?:confused3

I always wanted to Yacht and DH always said Poly--just not sure after reading everyone's comments about the 2 what's the best for us.:confused3

OP, I'm with some of the other posters, the YC would be an excellent match for you and your family! Split-stay with teens, ack, I went thru this with mine and they hated it. They really liked being able to go to ride the coasters at DS and we could go eat at Epcot, and the SAB sealed the deal.
HTH. Have a wonderful vacation! :goodvibes

YC was our teens favorite resort! But, in all fairness, they have never stayed at the POLY. They loved being able to walk around the Boardwalk at night and since EPCOT and DHS are their 2 favorite parks, they loved the location. They also loved SAB.

It was easy for them to go to either one of those parks in the evening when DH and I just wanted a nice meal and to crash in the room for a little while.

Our youngest (now 17) has always wanted to stay at either the CR or POLY and that's probably what we'll do next trip...but EPCOT is his favorite park and in the end I expect him to want to stay at the YC again!;)

I stayed at the YC when I was a teenager and I would go with it over Poly. I think the pool and surroundings are better in my opinion.

Have never stayed at YC but I am sure my boys would like the pool. They like the Poly just fine. The last time we went they were 19 and 21, college age and the time before that they were 17 and 19. That being said their favorite resort is actually OKW. The units are big enough that we are not tripping over them, they ususally bring a friend. They can come and go as they please without bothering us (the parents and younger sis). It is close to DTD , a big draw at their age. It is the only disney resort we have found with a basketball court. This last one is a major point to my boys. So in the end I would just ask them what they would prefer.

Changed! Just got off the phone with my AAA agent.

Now to change my poly ticker to a yacht club ticker.

Maybe that was an omen--when I made that ticker months ago, it kept appearing as the yacht club and I couldn't change it for the world.:goodvibes

thanks again everybody for the advice:thumbsup2

We just stayed at YC CL last week. We are 27 and 30.... And it was great. Great pool and quiet pool, great staff, just all around beautiful and mature. I highly recommend it!

Changed! Just got off the phone with my AAA agent.

Now to change my poly ticker to a yacht club ticker.

Maybe that was an omen--when I made that ticker months ago, it kept appearing as the yacht club and I couldn't change it for the world.:goodvibes

thanks again everybody for the advice:thumbsup2

Looks like your dates are the same as ours. Maybe we'll see each other there. We're checking in to the YC August 9.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter