Yacht Club or Grand Floridian

lady_hlh

DIS Veteran
We have a trip booked in August to stay at the Yacht Club but I noticed it would only be around $1,100 more to stay at the Grand Floridian. We have stayed at the YC before and it is one of our favorite resorts however my hubby has always dreamed of staying at the GF. My dream resort is the Poly but there is nothing available so I'm thinking about possibly fulfilling my hubby's dream. The one thing that makes me hesitate about the GF is having to always take the monorail or the boat. I love both CR and YC because of the option to walk to a park or two if you feel like it. Also we will bringing my teenage daughter and one of her BFFs who will want to explore on their own some of the time.

I would choose the YC personally because I like it better than GF and I'd rather walk to Epcot than MK. I also love doing morning runs around the Boardwalk so I'd pick any resort there over MK if location was the sole decider. Since you already stayed there ask yourself if it is worth $1,100 to see a new resort and if you'd prefer to walk to the MK than Epcot. I'm not sure anyone can answer for you beyond giving their personal reasons for which they'd choose.

How much time are you going to spend in MK as opposed to Epcot and HS? If you are spending more time at Epcot and HS, I'd stay with YC. GF is a beautiful resort but the only advantage (other than it's beauty) is it's proximity to MK.

I like YC, but love GF. And with having 2 teens with you, GF rooms are larger. You have the monorail to go explore the other monorail resorts for dining and shopping. You are walking distance to Poly for hubby! Maybe enjoy an evening with him at Trader Sam's. Monorail to both MK and Epcot is nice. I also enjoy taking the boat.

In August heat not too many people make the hike to DHS from YC!

Another nice thing about GF is watching Wishes and Electric Water Parade from the resort. And there's just something Magical about staying in the MK area and seeing The Castle and MK from your resort.

I like YC, but love GF. And with having 2 teens with you, GF rooms are larger. You have the monorail to go explore the other monorail resorts for dining and shopping. You are walking distance to Poly for hubby! Maybe enjoy an evening with him at Trader Sam's. Monorail to both MK and Epcot is nice. I also enjoy taking the boat.

In August heat not too many people make the hike to DHS from YC!

Another nice thing about GF is watching Wishes and Electric Water Parade from the resort. And there's just something Magical about staying in the MK area and seeing The Castle and MK from your resort.

The last time we brought 2 teens we stayed in CR garden wing and it was nice having the larger room because they had so much stuff spread around. How are the pools at the GF? We used to drive down and go to the beach after WDW but this time we will fly so no trip to the beach, I was thinking that the teens might really enjoy SAB.

I must be a crazy walker because when we stayed at YC and BC in the past we walked to HS most of the time even in the summer.

Do you get a really good view of Wishes from the GF? I know people always talk about watching Wishes from the beach at the Poly but I don't remember anyone talking about watching them from the GF.

We have a trip booked in August to stay at the Yacht Club but I noticed it would only be around $1,100 more to stay at the Grand Floridian. We have stayed at the YC before and it is one of our favorite resorts however my hubby has always dreamed of staying at the GF. My dream resort is the Poly but there is nothing available so I'm thinking about possibly fulfilling my hubby's dream. The one thing that makes me hesitate about the GF is having to always take the monorail or the boat. I love both CR and YC because of the option to walk to a park or two if you feel like it. Also we will bringing my teenage daughter and one of her BFFs who will want to explore on their own some of the time.

For an August trip I vote for Yacht Club, especially with teens, due to the Stormalong Bay swimming pool complex there. There is also more in walking distance, to help satisfy the teens: the Boardwalk, Epcot & HS, Fantasia mini-golf, etc. Disney Springs and the water parks aren't walking distance, but they're a lot closer to YC than to GF. Even if there was no price difference, I'd recommend Yacht Club over GF for an August trip with teens.

Last edited:
With two teens, I would stick to YC precisely for the reasons Shanti pointed out. There is so much for for everyone to do in that area, including walking to two parks. I would save GF for another trip.

i am taking the wife and two kids 17,15 to GF in July. We have stayed at both hotels and love both of them; however we prefer the GF. My kids think there are too many young kids in SAB for it to be relaxing. I share that opinion. There is nothing like coming back to the hotl and hearing the band. You can see the fireworks from the boat dock. We also like the electric water parade at night with a glass of wine. That being said, we are staying at the yacht club for our last night for a sundae at beaches and cream and a walk around the boardwalk. Cant go wrong with either hotel. If going to MK more do the GF. If not its a toss up.

I agree with Sue M. My choice would be the GF as well. We've never stayed at the YC but have stayed at the BC and while it was nice, we prefer the MK area and love the GF. The rooms at the GF are quite a bit larger, all rooms come with a daybed (which is only a request at YC), Gasparillas is great for quick CS meals/snacks, and there's a variety of great TS dining options a monorail ride away at the Poly and CR (and the Poly is a short walk from the GF if you didn't want to take the monorail). As far as the pools, we weren't wow'd by SAB, but we enjoyed both pools at the GF. SAB was nice to try, but we didn't see all the hype it gets. With all of that said, I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you stay, but I agree with Sue that it's just magical staying near MK and seeing the castle every day :wizard:.

i am taking the wife and two kids 17,15 to GF in July. We have stayed at both hotels and love both of them; however we prefer the GF. My kids think there are too many young kids in SAB for it to be relaxing. I share that opinion. There is nothing like coming back to the hotl and hearing the band. You can see the fireworks from the boat dock. We also like the electric water parade at night with a glass of wine. That being said, we are staying at the yacht club for our last night for a sundae at beaches and cream and a walk around the boardwalk. Cant go wrong with either hotel. If going to MK more do the GF. If not its a toss up.

I need to quiz my teen about which park she thinks she'll spend more time at this year. I love wandering around the world showcase at Epcot but she has never been a big fan of that activity. Also with all the construction going on at HS, I'm not sure we'll do anything but the headline rides and then leave.

I like YC, but love GF. And with having 2 teens with you, GF rooms are larger. You have the monorail to go explore the other monorail resorts for dining and shopping.

I agree with Sue M. My choice would be the GF as well. We've never stayed at the YC but have stayed at the BC and while it was nice, we prefer the MK area and love the GF. The rooms at the GF are quite a bit larger, all rooms come with a daybed (which is only a request at YC), Gasparillas is great for quick CS meals/snacks, and there's a variety of great TS dining options a monorail ride away at the Poly and CR (and the Poly is a short walk from the GF if you didn't want to take the monorail). As far as the pools, we weren't wow'd by SAB, but we enjoyed both pools at the GF. SAB was nice to try, but we didn't see all the hype it gets. With all of that said, I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you stay, but I agree with Sue that it's just magical staying near MK and seeing the castle every day :wizard:.

I agree with SueM and Mickeynut1 on all points!

SAB is very nice, IME, but it seems to be getting a lot of complaints of overcrowding and less than stellar reviews lately. The GF has lots of really nice dining options as well as a nice marina and easy monorail access to the CR and Poly. You can also boat to the MK. It is along walk, but ti is possible to walk from the GF to the Poly and on to the TTC for the Epcot monorail. from the Mk you can take a boat to FW (for the Hoop Dee Doo) or to the WL. The bus stop at the GF is very nice with lots of seating in the shade.

It would be great to give DH his dream to stay at the GF, and then you could say "next time - my turn at the Poly". Seems fair to me.

Have fun choosing!

Honestly if I were taking two teens, I'd do two rooms! The Swan has nice rooms, and is still an Epcot resort.

Not sure if the GF is worth it honestly. I've stayed there twice but paid less than $200/night both times. That was way back though, last time was 2000.

I just wouldn't want to share a room with both my husband AND my daughter's friend. Too much closeness - yuck. I would do it just me but not for more than a night or two. I'd do two rooms in that case anywhere.

Although the GF is our "home" resort -- I'd stay where you are at the YC - that location and vibe is much better with teens in tow. Being able to walk/boat into both Epcot and DHS is going to make that trip so much better for you.

I must say though, we have one left in her teens - 17 - and she would have a power point presentation put together as to why she HAD to stay at the GF, right down to her barman, Sergio, at Narcossees.

Tom

Although the GF is our "home" resort -- I'd stay where you are at the YC - that location and vibe is much better with teens in tow. Being able to walk/boat into both Epcot and DHS is going to make that trip so much better for you.

I must say though, we have one left in her teens - 17 - and she would have a power point presentation put together as to why she HAD to stay at the GF, right down to her barman, Sergio, at Narcossees.

Tom
My girls in their 20's adore GF. In 2013 we did a GF YC split any my daughter didn't want to leave GF to move to YC!

The last time we brought 2 teens we stayed in CR garden wing and it was nice having the larger room because they had so much stuff spread around. How are the pools at the GF? We used to drive down and go to the beach after WDW but this time we will fly so no trip to the beach, I was thinking that the teens might really enjoy SAB.

I must be a crazy walker because when we stayed at YC and BC in the past we walked to HS most of the time even in the summer.

Do you get a really good view of Wishes from the GF? I know people always talk about watching Wishes from the beach at the Poly but I don't remember anyone talking about watching them from the GF.
I love the beach pool, and fun slide. The courtyard pool is pretty large, but no slide. Both are zero entry. I think there are ping pong tables at courtyard pool. I feel Wishes view is pretty nice at GF. Also nice at Poly.
Arguably SAB is the best pool on property. But they'd enjoy GF pools too. My daughters were in their 20's our first GF stay and they loved it. My older daughter, who travels with me most and was with me our first GF stay we split with YC, and she didn't want to leave GF to move to YC, poor thing lol.

Honestly if I were taking two teens, I'd do two rooms! The Swan has nice rooms, and is still an Epcot resort.

Not sure if the GF is worth it honestly. I've stayed there twice but paid less than $200/night both times. That was way back though, last time was 2000.

I just wouldn't want to share a room with both my husband AND my daughter's friend. Too much closeness - yuck. I would do it just me but not for more than a night or two. I'd do two rooms in that case anywhere.

I have to agree with this. I wouldn't let my daughter stay in the same room as her friend's father. That is weird and I would imagine weird for the grown man also. I am surprised some people would do this.

We love both, but in August we would stick with YC because of Stormalong Bay. We love GF at Christmas or in the winter when the weather may not be great for swimming, and YC for swimming or F&W season.

There are some great viewing areas at the GF for watching Wishes. Either the boat dock or in front of Gasparilla's Grille are prime viewing areas. You can also walk to watch Wishes from a small beach at the GF end of the Poly (not the regular beach).

I want to like GF, but no matter what YC still wins out. And definitely don't assume if you've stayed at BC you've done YC... they are so different - totally different vibe! We prefer things to be a little less hectic and more chill and YC is perfect for that! We love the dining options at the Epcot resorts. Unlike at GF and MK resorts, you can WALK from one place to the other. Monorail is cool, but it can be a hassle a lot of the time. The pool (SAB) is amazing. People say it's crowded but we go at off times and have never experienced that. We only know an empt SAB. The quiet pools are also lovely. I dunno... YC just wins for me, always.

Such a hard decision!! YC is also my absolute favorite resort and we stay there pretty much every time we go.. That being said, GF is a close second to me. The only reason I like YC better is because of 1.) the pool and 2.) the option to walk to 2 different parks. I would personally stay at GF if you have the chance. You have to do it at least once!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter