• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Y.E.S. Program

fostrmom2mny

DIS Veteran
I have a DDSD foster child who is in fact 23. She is mentally like a 12-14 year old, and would LOVE the YES Programs and would like to do more than one of the classes. We are doing an all adult trip, so I don't know if they would ever let an adult register with a companion and attend or not. Anyone ever do this or know, or have the number for me to call and ask.

We are even going to be doing that kids scavenger hunt thing in Epcot. Forgot the name, something like where in the world is Carmen Sandiago. She's wanted to do that the past two trips and the trips were short, so I wouldn't take the time to do that. Guess our group will be doing that with her this time (if they let a 23 year old do that). Thanks for any input.

I would call and talk with them, they are very good to work with

I don't have experience with your personal situation, but when we signed up for the classes I did ask if we could sign one of our girls up for a different age group since the two of them were in different groups (the classes were for 8-11 and 12-17 and our girls were 11 and 13). When I asked about them both being in one group I was told that they do not make exceptions on the ages.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't call, but rather I'm saying that you should be prepared for a no and then if you do get a yes it'll be a pleasant surprise/bonus.

While it's more expensive, you could sign your group or even just 2 of you (her and another person) for a tour. There are all sorts of tours offered around WDW.

The tour you've signed up for is the Family Magic Tour. If she's mentally around 12-14 then she may be a bit too mature to really enjoy the tour. Is she able to be silly like a little kid? Is she willing to do things like put out her arms and pretend to fly through MK? It's a fun tour if you're willing to be silly in front of a bunch of strangers but it really is geared towards the 10 and under set. We took this tour when my kids were 9 and 11. My 9yo loved it (she a bit immature) but my 11yo who is immature in many ways would not participate because (1) it was babyish (2) she was not about to act rediculous in front of a bunch of strangers and risk having people stare. I should mention that she HATES feeling like people are staring. At their current ages of 11 and 13 (14 tomorrow as a matter of fact) there's no way they'd participate or enjoy themselves even though they are both immature.

OM,she would totaly "fly" thru Magic Kingdom! She LOVES attntion and has no problems doing things like that. I on the other hand get a bit embarased!! I like being child like at WDW, but don't think I could do that.

I tried to get my son into a younger class a year ago and was told no exceptions. I don't think you can talk them into it.

I'm not sure of the age groups, but I thought the YES program was for children up to teens. I don't think they'd let a 23 year old participate even if she is mentally younger. I agree that the tours should be lots of fun but I'd pick a shorter one to see how she does. Are you doing the KimPossible adventure at Epcot- the free one where you get the "Kimmunicator"?

KimPossible is the one. I just didn't remember the name. She's begged to do that previously, we just didn't have time. Guess we'll be doing that one this time.

Absolutely do the KP missions. They're a lot of fun and they are very much the Where in the World type of activities and she'll likely be enthralled by all the little things that the kimmunicator makes happen. Make time for it. Definitely. I also happen to like that it makes the kids interested in actually stepping into the countries and I get to look around the shops while they do their missions (with me at their side but the missions go right inside the shops so I can look at still be with my kids).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter