XT question for runners

Raenstoirm

DIS Veteran
Is hiking considered XT for runners? I think it may use the same muscles that you are supposed to rest on XT days, but I found a really pretty hiking area near my house that I want to spend more time in. I attempted to run the trail, but the roots were plentiful, so I was afraid I would come down on a root wrong and break an ankle or something dreadful, so I ended up going pretty slow and walking 80% of the time. I need to actually run since I do have a race coming up, but I also want to go back into the woods. Hoping I can do both without over taxing my legs. :hyper:

Walking, biking, swimming are all good methods of cross training, so I think hiking a scenic trail would fit in perfectly!

I'm not sure if it would be considered cross training or active recovery but either way it is beneficial. You are using your leg muscles in a different way (always good) and in an environment that is less impact than running or even walking on pavement.

I believe Hal Higdon says that you can use walking as XT on your off days.

Coming from a bit of a running background and having injured my knee through over training before, I would suggest biking as an ideal cross training exercise. It uses different muscles (slow twitch), while strengthening the muscles around your joints to help prevent running injuries. You just want to avoid vigorous lateral movements (like basketball or tennis) for XT.

But, ultimately the goal is to find a type of exercise that you enjoy so that you keep doing it. So if hiking is what you enjoy, more power to you! Just be careful not to overdo it. Happy training!

Tim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter