• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Xmas w/ ASD: doable or big, huge mistake?

ireland_nicole

<font color=green>No brainer- the fairy wins it<br
So, obviously I have issues, but we're going to WDW in 3 weeks :-)cool1: :cool1: ) still, me being me, it's never too early to plan our next trip, right?:confused3 Here's the deal: if we're going to book over Christmas 2009, our window opens to book the trip tomorrow. And b/c we're a family of 5, our options for "reasonably priced" accomodations are minimal. So if we're gonna go, we need to book now. I've always wanted to go at Christmas, and never have. DH is always off from Christmas Eve until New Years(company shutdown) so it would be crazy to take his only other vacation earlier in the month. I'm thinking arrival Dec. 22 or 23 and stay 5 days, b/c it's just too expensive to stay longer, but not worth the 18hr drive each way for less than 5 days. My plan is to spend a lot less time in the parks than usual, but get the DxDP and spend a lot of time eating at and exploring the resorts w/ all the decorations, and then divide some time between Epcot and MK. Of course, b/c of DD and DS's "challenges" inc. ASD, there's always potential for disaster. We would use TGM and have a very clear touring plan when in the parks.

What I really want to know is, do ya'll think I'm being completely unrealistic in my own quest for a Disney Christmas? Is it going to just be "too much" and make my kiddos miserable? I know you can't tell me for sure, but I'd appreciate your experience and opinions.

Thanks
Nicole

I would suggest you book it, and then if things change over the next year you can always cancel it later. All kids go through phases, and its impossible to know where your kids will be next Christmas...but it does sound like you have a reasonable plan as far as not making the trip so much about the parks. Our last trip was more about exploring the resorts and it was much more relaxed. Good luck with your decision! :thumbsup2

How early in the morning can you get your kids up and around? We go every year at Christmas and tour in the early mornings, leaving the afternoons and evenings very flexible. MK is virtually empty at 7:00 a.m. (EMH time for MK the entire week!) We hit it two times during our stay and have a blast. We leave by 11:00 when everyone else is coming in looking shocked and dazed. (One of the days we usually eat lunch around 11:00 at a sit down restaurant and wait for the Christmas parade, then beat it out of the park.) Epcot is easier, and we come and go there all week long. (AK and DH, you have to plan more carefully because they can really get congested.)

My DS has NLD, which is a little like AS, so you can see that it can be done. We go to the miniature golf courses in our spare time; we've planned resort tours (DS wanted to see all the Christmas decorations). We like to do the Candlelight Processional at Epcot, but if you do that, definitely get a package because the lines will drive you crazy otherwise. DS even works on some swimming most Christmases. (I usually pass, but his tolerance for temperature variations is wider than his father's or mine.)

Hope that helps, some. Go for it!

Julie

Wow; MK is open at 7am? Is the sun even up then?:lmao: I'm sure I could get them there for 8, but I suppose if Mickey's involved and I put the clock ahead when no one's looking I could get us there for 7; (Now to get my devious mind thinking...)

Thanks for the input; DH also said, just b/c we book it, doesn't mean we're going- if the kids just can't at that point, we'll cancel. :sad2: But with the kinds of plans ya'll are talking about, it's not lunacy? I have to say, I really appreciate hearing from those who have done it- and survived to tell the tale:santa:

Now, I didn't say it's not lunacy, only that it's well-planned lunacy and that we always enjoy our particular brand of it. :lmao:

And you're right, we have several very funny pictures of the sun coming up while we are waiting for rope drop on Christmas Eve morning. (It's kind of a family tradition.) See what I mean about lunacy? But it's a cool tradition, and we all enjoy it. (Both my husband and my son are early morning creatures. I'm the only pokey one, and if it's my idea, then I guess I'd better move around.) ;)

One year, when my son was VERY young (4 or 5) (he'll be 13 next Saturday), we were the first people on Dumbo on New Year's morning. They allowed us to ride it by ourselves. It was so cool. I have that picture on my desk at work. I smile every time I look at it. (The sun is just peaking over the castle in the background.)

Julie

We have not been at WDW before Christmas, but have been there at least 3 years between 12/26 and 1/3.
I agree with the other posters. It sounds like you have a good plan. If you were planning to get to the parks at 11 am, I would say it was a mistake. But, since the parks are open so late, a lot of people go later in the day and stay until the park closes. So, if you can get there early, you should be able to see what you want before it gets busy. Once it gets busy, you want to be out of there though because it's crazy busy.

Let me start by saying that I have not been to WDW at that time of the year with my kid, so I am not speaking from experience. However, in general, my concern would be the sensory issues that come with ASD and would they intensify with holiday lights and exhibits? As long as you do everything in small doses and stay away from any event that is likely to be mobbed, I would think you would be OK. If you book now, you also have plenty of time to research which areas of the park would be comfortable and which parts might be blaring carols, etc. I hope it works out.

Thanks; that's a really good point; my kids are auditory avoiding but visually seeking, so I usually have ear protectors handy at the parks. We avoid the fireworks at all costs, though:lmao: I'm not sure how they would do at the Osborne lights thing- it could probably go either way? But at least it should be so loud and crowded that nobody would notice 2 more screaming kids?:confused3

You wrote:

But at least it should be so loud and crowded that nobody would notice 2 more screaming kids?

Made me laugh so hard! Thanks! (I think about that whenever I'm at WDW with my husband and son -- both of whom are prone to their own types of meltdowns!) :lmao:

Julie

I'd much rather experience a sensory melt down at Disney than at my local supermarket. Everyone's kids melt down at Disney! You'll do fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter