• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wwyd?

chloelovesdisney

DIS Veteran
I have chronic back issues and am unable to carry ds for extended lengths of time, even with the best of carriers (and I have tried them all). I am going to DW with a few family members. Two of them will be unable to help carry ds due to their own health issues, one will likely be in a wheelchair for portions of the trip due to ankle problems resulting from a serious accident. It's just too much walking, and she used to walk 4-5 miles each and every day up until this year.

I am unsure if I should ask the remaining family member to carry ds 100% of the time we are in line, or if I should once again get the stroller as a wheelchair GAC.

Would you ask someone to carry your baby/toddler in line for you (he can't walk yet), or would you wheel them through the line yourself in the stroller?

Do you think it is an imposition to ask someone to carry your child? I am afraid it will be embarrassing to have the stroller tagged as a wheelchair when there is a person in our group capable of carrying him.

I would get the tag and if the person is willing to carry the child then fine, but if not you can then just wheel the child in. Best of both worlds this way.

I wouldn't ask a person to carry on that responsiblity! Nothing against your child but just having to hold someone especially in a long line is not my idea of fun. You don't want to ruin it for the other adult and they might say they will hold your child if you ask out of respect but may not want to. Again, nothing against your child but it just sounds exhausting. Definitely grab a stroller

I agree with the others. You should make guest services your first stop. If you need it then you have it, if not then don;t use it. It would be better to have the GAC and stroller and not need it then to be at the back of a park and find yourself in pain and no one to hold your baby.

I would absolutely not expect someone to carry my child constantly. I know you are sincere, but honestly, that sounds like miserable torture to me. Get the stroller-as-wheelchair GAC. I don't know why you would be embarrassed. We did it for years and I really didn't care if someone too issue with it. Christian was a big boy, 5 yrs old, before he learned to walk and even at 17 now there is no way he would be able to walk all day at WDW.

Get the stroller and let everyone have a great time. You will be glad you did.

Thank you everyone, I will get the stroller as a wheelchair GAC. I was not sure if the CMs frown upon it if there is someone in the group capable of carrying the child, and did not want to have an issue at guest services or at the attractions.

I agree! Get the GAC!!! If someone wants to hold him because the enjoy it, GREAT! But then, NO one feels obligated, when it's not really their 'responsibility'. This is coming from a mom who has had 2 back surgeries just less than 2 years ago...the 2nd one which 'Failed' and I now have permanent irreversible damage. I'm not supposed to lift more than about a gallon of milk (8ish lbs) so that pretty much eliminates me holding any kids. Luckily, my kids are grown...youngest is almost 17. But when she was a baby I suffered a broken back and it is still broken they weren't able to fix that either back then. It was miserable. So I can relate. Do Not feel bad! Do what you need to Do! I hope you have a wonderful trip! :)

Thank you everyone, I will get the stroller as a wheelchair GAC. I was not sure if the CMs frown upon it if there is someone in the group capable of carrying the child, and did not want to have an issue at guest services or at the attractions.

and if your son doesn't walk yet then the stroller is necessary. No CM would ever question anyone's family about such a matter. There are many invisible disabilities that require extra aids.

I would advise your lady friend to consider an ECV scooter rather than a wheelchair. If it's a manual wheelchair then someone will have to push her; unless, she does it for herself. It's not fun either way. You can get offsite vendors for scooters at reasonable costs. I like Apple Scooters and we are renting from them ourselves in a few weeks. You can park the scooter when you want to walk.

I would rather have a scooter and be able to enjoy the parks longer.

and if your son doesn't walk yet then the stroller is necessary. No CM would ever question anyone's family about such a matter. There are many invisible disabilities that require extra aids.

I would advise your lady friend to consider an ECV scooter rather than a wheelchair. If it's a manual wheelchair then someone will have to push her; unless, she does it for herself. It's not fun either way. You can get offsite vendors for scooters at reasonable costs. I like Apple Scooters and we are renting from them ourselves in a few weeks. You can park the scooter when you want to walk.

I would rather have a scooter and be able to enjoy the parks longer.

Thank you, it is not my lady friend but my mother, lol. There is no way she can drive an ECV, due to several reasons, she would be a menace on the road and a danger to every person walking around.

Most of the people using strollers as wheelchairs are using it as an accommodation for the child who is not able to walk.

It is also a useful accommodation for an adult's needs related to a disability when the child is too young to walk in line and the adult is not able to carry the child in line because of the adult's disability. If you have a GAC using the stroller as a wheelchair, it gives you an option. If someone else wants to carry the child (or if the child wants to be carried), you can do that and not have to bring the stroller in lines. But, it gives the option to use the stroller if needed.

You just have to make sure to explain when asking for the GAC/sticker that it is an accommodation for your disability.

Most of the people using strollers as wheelchairs are using it as an accommodation for the child who is not able to walk.

It is also a useful accommodation for an adult's needs related to a disability when the child is too young to walk in line and the adult is not able to carry the child in line because of the adult's disability. If you have a GAC using the stroller as a wheelchair, it gives you an option. If someone else wants to carry the child (or if the child wants to be carried), you can do that and not have to bring the stroller in lines. But, it gives the option to use the stroller if needed.

You just have to make sure to explain when asking for the GAC/sticker that it is an accommodation for your disability.

Thank you Sue. I got it in May and did explain at guest services that I have had several back procedures and will be incapacitated if I carry him for extended periods. The CM was very nice, as were the CMs at all the attractions. My only concern was that they would expect another adult to step in if they were there and physically capable, even if they were not the parent but it does not appear that will be the case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter