WWYD? Tent for 10 days in Dec. or Cabin?

dreambound

Lover of sugar-coated sugar-filled sugar
We've been all set for our tent camping trip for many months. We now have the opportunity to stay in a cabin (last we checked there was still availability.)

We are excited about tent camping. We will have 2 little ones with us. We have considered that we might enjoy a cabin a bit more on a long vacation.

It's down to cost. Obviously the cabin is far more. We're talking at least $2000.

What would you do? Tent for $2000 less, or fork it over and stay in a cabin?

Thanks for any input. I've come to the conclusion that my plans are never final until I'm there. :) At least this time around I've stuck with the same resort for about 7 months straight!

Meg

I'd go with the tent and bring the $2,000 along for back up in case the weather turns out to be really really bad.

I think it would all depend.

How familiar/comfortable are you with tent camping with little ones? Have you done it enough so you've got a pretty good idea of what to expect?

How little is little?

Can you AFFORD the additional $2k?

Are you well prepared to tent camp with all the necessities of little kids, and prepared for *cool* weather (yes, I know it's FL, but it can still get chilly at night).

I have four kids, ages 9, 7, 3 and 15mo, and I'd fork out an additional $4k to stay in a cabin vs. a tent with them. And yes, I have tent camped often. But, with MY kids, in MY opinion, it's just too much work during MY WDW vacation. I know there are LOTS of others who LOVE tenting at the Fort with their kids, so really, it's up to you and your experience, comfort, and finance levels.

OMG! Not even close :lmao:

Do the tent, save the money. Eat out when you want, buy yourselves souvenirs, and if the weather looks really bad, head for an affordable off-site hotel.

Or make a second ressie to spend your last two nights in a cabin, then call and cut those two nights off your tent ressie. Ten days is a long time to sleep on the ground even with air mattresses.

Or maybe I'd stretch it to three nights? :rolleyes:

Don't go into debt to do the cabin thing. If you can swing it, fine.

:santa: We'll be there in December too (the week before Christmas)

Good luck!

Bama ED

Me, I'd tent it!! Air mattress, electric mattress pad, electric blanket, no problems for December!!!

If you don't put yourself into additional debt by spending the $2K for the cabin, then go for it!!! The cabins are great - and you get "Mousekeeping" - right down to them loading the dishwasher & starting it!!

If, however, staying in the cabins will be charged on a credit card-and you don't pay it off in 30 days, then it isn't really $2K....it's $2K PLUS the interest. In that case...stay in the tent. Don't put yourself in a financial bind for a vacation.

The weather in December is usually mild, so you should be comfortable staying in a tent. Check the long-range weather forcast for the days you'll be at the Fort, and either bring a fan or small tent heater- as appropriate.

Now, if your little ones are really little - like infant & toddler - you may want to opt for the cabin.

Boy, that was a real help, wasn't it??

Hey there, Meg! If you already have tent camping planned out and in your mind, I'd stick with those plans. I've had those same kind of 'maybe we coulds' before but I always come back to one night in a cabin (if it's around $240) equals around 6 nights at a campsite (ave. $40). Slap the $2000 in an investment fund to make money for the future.

I hope you guys have fun!

I vote for cabin because I want to see some pictures of the updated cabins and maybe you can take some for us ;)

So dh says, "How much is this trip going to cost, in the tent, with the meal plan plus 9 day hoppers?"

Um, about 2 grand.

I think I have my answer. I'd rather go on another trip, redecorate my bedroom, earn interest, etc. than spend that much on the off chance the weather will be unpleasant all 10 days.

So we're tenting! YAY! Thanks for helping me come to my senses. We use an aerobed on our bed because we LOVE them so much, so an aerobed for 10 days will be literally sleeping in our very own beds. :) Our kids, though little, are super-adventurous. So we'll see how it goes!

Thanks!

Meg

So dh says, "How much is this trip going to cost, in the tent, with the meal plan plus 9 day hoppers?"

Um, about 2 grand.

I think I have my answer. I'd rather go on another trip, redecorate my bedroom, earn interest, etc. than spend that much on the off chance the weather will be unpleasant all 10 days.

So we're tenting! YAY! Thanks for helping me come to my senses. We use an aerobed on our bed because we LOVE them so much, so an aerobed for 10 days will be literally sleeping in our very own beds. :) Our kids, though little, are super-adventurous. So we'll see how it goes!

Thanks!

Meg

Good for you and I would consider one of these ceramic space heaters (under $50 and don't get that hot like the coil type ones if you can even buy those anymore), a small fan (to circulate the air in the tent and keep it a more consistent temp) and a good extension cord with multiple outlets and that will help in the tent comfort wise. I only tented with DW once before we had kids and after that it was trailers for us so my "family" tenting is non existent so to speak .

Larry

I'd second it...I think you made the right decision on tenting it...
camping.gif
Besides if you do cancel you campground ressies you would have a very hard time getting it back again if you change your mind. From what I can see December ressies don't seem easy come by. Another route you could take with the $2000 is to look into a nice used pop-up (only if you have something you can tow it with-tow vehicles can be expensive). But anyway Have a GREAT time.

We have tent camped for 7+ days at Fort Wilderness with 5 small children. Last October was our last camping trip with 10 year old twins, 9 year old, 6 year old and 3 year old. We love to tent camp with our family.as we truely bond more on the trips that we camp. For colder weather we have a Coleman tent heater that works well. Lori

My 2 cents. Tent it. I definitely agree on the electric blankets. Bring some electrical tape to wind around the connections in case of rain.

We have done the space heater also, but (and this may be just me), I was always paranoid that one of the little ones would tip it over/play with it when I wasn't looking. We do just fine with electric blankets only.

If I can make one more suggestion. when tent camping at a location that doesn't have a firepit (or specific open fire policies such as FW), we always bring a small enclosed firebox. They sell them at Loews/WM/Home Depot etc.

Here is an example.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5280841

We then buy (or pack) a case (or more depending on length of stay) of firelogs and use them as needed. We do NOT roast marshmallows or anything with the fire logs (got the C&D campfire for that) but you can get a warm fire going quickly (this is key) in the morning. It sure takes the edge off of leaving your toasty electric blanket........ It also makes for nice light around the campsite before bed too.

I find as long as I keep DW and Dkids warm while camping......everything else is manageable....

You never know what FL weather will do......sometimes you are in shorts......sometimes you are wearing 4 layers of clothes........:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter