WWYD? Tent camping or Class C rv with 2 small kids? (pics of your tent-only site?)

Traveling with carseat kids, WWYD

• Drive to WDW 17 hrs in Class C rv

• Drive to WDW in our car, tent camp at FW, get DDP

• Fly to WDW, tent camp, take camp cooking gear

Results are only viewable after voting.

dreambound

Lover of sugar-coated sugar-filled sugar
Some of you may be familiar with my dilema regarding safely transporting our 2 kids for 17 hours to WDW. We're total newbies to RVing of any kind, so I wasn't aware of the safety issues regarding children and rv's. (These are carseat-aged children.)

What I'm debating now is:

Still get the rv and drive to WDW (17 hours)

or

Fly to WDW and tent camp

or

Drive to WDW and tent camp and get the DDP

If you have pics of your campsite set up, that would be really helpful! I want to show DH that it isn't exactly the primitive, hiking to 9000ft camping that he is accustomed to.

Sheer honesty is really helpful. If your thinking is, "Don't change your plans, the kids will be perfectly safe in the motor home" then I want to hear that. If your thinking is, "Motor home travel is just not safe for little kids" then I want to hear that too.

This will be Dec.8-18th.

Thanks for all of the help. I know I'm being an obsessive DISer, but I am going on this trip some way or another!

Meg

We just came home from tent camping yesterday at the Fort Wilderness and it was so hot. We took a 5 yr old and he was cranky from the heat and trying to keep him busy and not to disturb the other campers was a problem. Only when we were at the parks was it okay. And if you need to bring the kids back for a rest, the tents heat up during the day and do not cool down until dark. I would advise a camper with A/C with small children and if it has a bathroom, but the showers at the camp were very nice.:Pinkbounc

I voted RV because it seems the only reason you don't want the RV is safety reasons. In my opinion, an RV is just as safe as any other vehicle. Drive defensively and keep everyone buckled and/or in car seats. Safety is as safe as you make it. Take breaks every couple of hours and you all will be fine. Of course, statistically speaking, flying is safer than driving ;)

If it were me, I would drive, tent camp, and get the DDP. Who wants to cook at Disney World. For me, it is not the drive, it would be driving that behemoth down the highway. I absolutely get so nervous driving a larger vehicle.

I've got tent camping pictures in many threads all over this board, but to make it easy for you, here they all are in one spot.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l169/clkelley564/Ft Wilderness/

All of these are taken during December Ft. Wilderness trips. I bring an electric blanket, electric mattress pad, and I'm plenty warm at night. I have my computer, a portable commode inside my tent (only for middle of the night, I use the comfort station for everything else). As you can see I also had a fridge to keep those soft drinks and water nice and cold. I had the Christmas lights on a timer, so I could easily see my way back to my site at night.

We've driven in a rented RV many times when the kids were small and big. I buckled them in at the table or on the couch. I felt they were plenty safe.When they were older they slept on the back bed and also on the couch., never on top when moving. Accidents do happen , so just be carefull and have a great time!!

If it were me, I would drive, tent camp, and get the DDP. Who wants to cook at Disney World. For me, it is not the drive, it would be driving that behemoth down the highway. I absolutely get so nervous driving a larger vehicle.

I've got tent camping pictures in many threads all over this board, but to make it easy for you, here they all are in one spot.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l169/clkelley564/Ft Wilderness/

All of these are taken during December Ft. Wilderness trips. I bring an electric blanket, electric mattress pad, and I'm plenty warm at night. I have my computer, a portable commode inside my tent (only for middle of the night, I use the comfort station for everything else). As you can see I also had a fridge to keep those soft drinks and water nice and cold. I had the Christmas lights on a timer, so I could easily see my way back to my site at night.

Thanks! Those pics totally changed dh's mind! When he saw a laptop hooked up he realized that this is not the camping he's used to.

Then I showed him the bottom line. I made a spreadsheet of the costs and what we'd be able to do and he was sold on driving, tent camping and DDP. When he realized that we could do the Fantasmic package as well as Hoop de doo and DD's princess breakfast all for a few grand less than we were planning on spending, he was sold. I mean I actually argued for the motor home and he said, "Nope, I'm sold, end of story, we're tent camping." Not having to lug our cooking gear and groceries makes a big difference too. And knowing we can hop over to Trails End when we get hungry helps out a lot as well.

Thanks for the pics of your setup! Now I can call and make this a MYW package!

I mean I actually argued for the motor home and he said, "Nope, I'm sold, end of story, we're tent camping."

That's funny, that's exactly what would have happened with me and my dh. It's pretty easy to sell an idea, and once its sold, it's a done deal... load up the tent.

What month are you going? The heat would be my only big problem with the tents.

Another possibility (not that you need other ideas at this point since you've already sold your dh on it) is to rent a tent camper and pull it there, or rent an RV when you get there.

I would not want to fly then tent camp. But driving and tent camping with no cooking... that's not a bad set up at all. And its a great excuse to buy new toys- a nice dining canopy, all weather carpet, fold up table, battery lanterns, wind up flashlights for everyone, glow sticks for the kids at night... I love camping. In a tent camper :)

Your set up totally rocks!

Thanks!! We really enjoyed ourselves on that trip. Although as my avatar shows, I have a camper now. Although friends are joining me again in October and they'll get the big grey tent.

Thanks! Those pics totally changed dh's mind! When he saw a laptop hooked up he realized that this is not the camping he's used to.

Then I showed him the bottom line. I made a spreadsheet of the costs and what we'd be able to do and he was sold on driving, tent camping and DDP. When he realized that we could do the Fantasmic package as well as Hoop de doo and DD's princess breakfast all for a few grand less than we were planning on spending, he was sold. I mean I actually argued for the motor home and he said, "Nope, I'm sold, end of story, we're tent camping." Not having to lug our cooking gear and groceries makes a big difference too. And knowing we can hop over to Trails End when we get hungry helps out a lot as well.

Thanks for the pics of your setup! Now I can call and make this a MYW package!

Wow, I'm honored my little ol pictures totally changed your trip!! I hope ya'll have a great time!!

Oh, one thing I tell all new tent campers at Fort Wilderness. Bring some cheap painters plastic and lay that down first "under" your groundcloth. When the trip is over and you pack up your stuff, just throw that nasty gritty, sandy plastic in the garbage.

Wow, I'm honored my little ol pictures totally changed your trip!! I hope ya'll have a great time!!

Oh, one thing I tell all new tent campers at Fort Wilderness. Bring some cheap painters plastic and lay that down first "under" your groundcloth. When the trip is over and you pack up your stuff, just throw that nasty gritty, sandy plastic in the garbage.

Yup, your pics really made the difference! I upgraded to a package tonight. The only thing left to decide is if we want to stay in a preferred site or in a tent site. (We have a preferred site right now because I really wanted to be close to the marina, etc.)

Thanks again! We'll do an rv trip, just not this time around.

Meg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter