WWYD: Should I cancel for Fall 2021?

I used to stress about checking in online with Southwest to book seats at the 24 hr mark (pre cell phones at WDW). I don't think I would like to have to figure out all the testing ins and outs as well. It's enough for me to figure out the park touring plans and fastpasses (another thing that's gone the way of the dinosaur).

I will be waiting until testing is no longer required to travel.

We decided to cancel 2021 fall travel. Was just too stressed with the unknowns and dealing with testing before and after. Well, and the insane rental car prices kind of made our decision for us. I’m hopeful spring 2022 will be much more back to normal. If you can swing it for this year i would go, but I was just getting too stressed thinking of possibly have to cancel again, etc. Good luck with your decision!

We have the same Canadian Resident passes due to expire December 16, 2021. We are not travelling to the US until 2022. I contacted the DLR about the passes, and got a very generic email back, so I will be calling. My understanding is that the value of the passes never expires. So, even if you don't go, you can put that cost towards new passes in 2022 or beyond.

It really is a personal decision. We had a trip scheduled with DD8 and DD10 this August but decided to make it an adults-only trip. The quarantine requirements + the increase in cases in the US without them being vaccinated did it for us. I would call Disney about the tickets. We received some pixie dust because of our trip needing to be rescheduled earlier in August... they honored the Summer 25% off a room even though there were not rooms available at Pop for the promotion.

We've booked a March 2022 Family Trip. Hopefully everything will have settled by then...

I am with fellow posters, I think the likelihood of things changing by the fall is slim. We are in the same boat, both of our kids can't be vaccinated yet and a 2 week trip and 2 week quarantine when we return means a full month off school which is not doable. We are booked for Feb and hoping the rules for unvaccinated kids changes by then, but holding our plans with an open hand, knowing things may still not be great by then.

I stumbled across a thread on Twitter regarding folks who have contracted C-19 at WDW over the summer and all I can say is... YIKES. 😲
It's going to happen. People who are unvaccinated don't follow recommendations and the vaccine is not 100% at stopping you from getting it. We have to learn to live with the virus. Most people who are vaccinate who get it will have mild symptoms which is the point of getting vaccinated.

It's going to happen. People who are unvaccinated don't follow recommendations and the vaccine is not 100% at stopping you from getting it. We have to learn to live with the virus. Most people who are vaccinate who get it will have mild symptoms which is the point of getting vaccinated.
True, however I'd rather hold off until the wave peaks/recedes after Delta has burned through the majority of the unwilling 🤷‍♀️

True, however I'd rather hold off until the wave peaks/recedes after Delta has burned through the majority of the unwilling 🤷‍♀️
I understand that. I'm taking my chances but I'm getting insurance that will cover me if we have to quarantine. No worried abut getting sick just about having to cross the border if we have a positive test.

I stumbled across a thread on Twitter regarding folks who have contracted C-19 at WDW over the summer and all I can say is... YIKES. 😲

It is definitely happening both at WDW and elsewhere, and not just to vaccinated people. Sure, you may get a mild case or asymptomatic case, but you still have to isolate for 10 days. Not very convenient for most of us. Trust me I know, and my case happened while wearing a mask and only visiting my vaccinated mom at her senior facility and doing limited shopping. Delta variant is a very contagious version of Covid. Luckily no one caught it from me ( a number of people I saw in the two days before I started feeling bad, were tested, including my husband who was tested the day I tested positive and five days later). Since I was not a spreader, this stops with me. It’s likely I caught it from an unvaccinated person. My mother’s facility now has mandated and are monitoring mask wearing again in assisted, memory care and 24 hour skilled nursing units starting 2 days ago. Our governor recommended on Friday that everyone mask indoors, including vaccinated people. I haven’t been anywhere except to visit mom since my quarantine ended, and I barely finished quarantine before the big 91st birthday that my siblings and I had for her last Sunday. Nobody I know is taking this lightly.

Last edited:
I understand that. I'm taking my chances but I'm getting insurance that will cover me if we have to quarantine. No worried abut getting sick just about having to cross the border if we have a positive test.
Which insurance covers quarantine? I've done a bit of research but have been unsuccessful at finding a policy that does this.

Which insurance covers quarantine? I've done a bit of research but have been unsuccessful at finding a policy that does this.
I'm making a few calls tomorrow but it looks like manulife is one amd my work insurance may also since it's the same one offered with air canada.

I'm making a few calls tomorrow but it looks like manulife is one amd my work insurance may also since it's the same one offered with air canada.

Unfortunately the policy I found for Manulife only covered quarantine for long trips. Medical is covered, but trip interruptions are not. Let me know if you find anything! I will also be looking this up this week! 🙂

"Benefits in the event of quarantine (up to $2,100 CAD per insured and up to a maximum of $4,200 CAD per family). Only available if your original trip duration is 31 days or longer, before any extensions." -Manulife

I am with Manulife Insurance via work and they will not cover Covid 19 quarantine expenses for me.
My trip would range from 7 to 14 days.
My Board Of Education still hasn't updated their policy regarding travel out of Country yet ,,they did post the upcoming year school schedule though.
It was just Ministry approved June 28 2021... I attached a copy of it here.
Peel District School Board

Hugs
Mel

Attachments

• School Year Calendar 2021-2022 Regular Elementary and Secondary chart.pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Unfortunately the policy I found for Manulife only covered quarantine for long trips. Medical is covered, but trip interruptions are not. Let me know if you find anything! I will also be looking this up this week! 🙂

"Benefits in the event of quarantine (up to $2,100 CAD per insured and up to a maximum of $4,200 CAD per family). Only available if your original trip duration is 31 days or longer, before any extensions." -Manulife
I've been looking and saw some wording that suggests it might but I've also got a backup plan. I figured even if we can't get the insurance we will get a cheap airbnb amd get groceries delivered. I've got sick days available at work. Also there is the option of renting a car and driving homeand the possibility that the governent may drop their testing requirements for vaccinated Canadians. I also may wait until I land in Buffalo and take the test their and just rent a hotel untily test results come back there. Lots of options for my family thankfully.

It's great to know and plan out all your options well in advance.

During this Pandemic big rental companies have sold off many of there (fleet) vehicles which has created a shortage of reasonably priced rental vehicles.

Airbnb are being selective about who they rent to and some are asking for proof of vaccination and a recent Covid testing.
I would personally have enough bank rolled for a motel/hotel stay.

Many employers (mine included) are warning if you travel and have to quarantine you could lose your job.

My understanding is if I show positive for Covid 19 while in the USA ,,,, as a Canadian I can return to Canada via a vehicle but will have to
show the ability to quarantine to the Canadian government. (Quarantine plan of care).
I am not sure I would be able to re coop my return flight cost ,,but that is just me. Maybe others have a back up plan for this.
This is a good reference for those traveling right now.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid
Let you family doc know you plan on traveling and ask their advice.

Know the Covid 19 numbers where you are going ,,,rates of vaccination in the area and current positivity rates.
Know what mandatory precautions the community is enforcing and not enforcing ,,,, are you ok with that?

Know that the medical system in the USA is very different than in Canada.
Each individual dept. bills for things. (X-rays. .labs.. medication.. etc)
Even an ambulance ride can cost a lot.
Usually up front payment is required.

So much to consider when traveling now.
Good luck to all those planning for a safe successful trip.

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:

Yep I’ve read other places about that happening too. Doesn’t surprise me. Low vaccination, kids who can’t be vaccinated and they dropped masks and distancing. I go on other boards/groups and people there are just acting like it’s all over. And these are people who aren’t vaccinated.

That’s a big reason I’m canceling for October and looking to go in the spring. I’m not concerned about us getting sick but especially with my youngest not being vaccinated I’m concerned about us testing positive and being stuck there.

If you are vaccinated I say go ahead and go, as long as you have a plan if you test positive (and can afford the back up plan).

We have an annual travel emergency medical insurance policy with TuGo. They also do single trip travel medical as well as a range of trip cancelation and interruption plans and bundled plans.

I know their add-on policy for unvaccinated travellers covers covid quarantine.

I would recommend contacting them to see what their coverage is for vaccinated travelers: https://tugo.com/ They also have good information including their policies on their website.

You would also want to check coverage with level 3 and 4 warnings from the government of Canada. e.g. with the level 4 cruise warning, cruises aren't covered by them right now.

SW

It is definitely happening both at WDW and elsewhere, and not just to vaccinated people. Sure, you may get a mild case or asymptomatic case, but you still have to isolate for 10 days. Not very convenient for most of us. Trust me I know, and my case happened while wearing a mask and only visiting my vaccinated mom at her senior facility and doing limited shopping. Delta variant is a very contagious version of Covid. Luckily no one caught it from me ( a number of people I saw in the two days before I started feeling bad, were tested, including my husband who was tested the day I tested positive and five days later). Since I was not a spreader, this stops with me. It’s likely I caught it from an unvaccinated person. My mother’s facility now has mandated and are monitoring mask wearing again in assisted, memory care and 24 hour skilled nursing units starting 2 days ago. Our governor recommended on Friday that everyone mask indoors, including vaccinated people. I haven’t been anywhere except to visit mom since my quarantine ended, and I barely finished quarantine before the big 91st birthday that my siblings and I had for her last Sunday. Nobody I know is taking this lightly.

Quoting myself and adding that the assisted living and skilled nursing units are now closed to family and all other visitors. They were notified of an employee who tested positive. Staff and residents will all be tested in the coming days. I just hope there are no other cases and that her facility won’t be closed to visitors for 2 months like it was from January 1 to March 31 this year.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter