WWYD re:new bed

la79al

DIS Veteran
Because I can't make simple decisions, I come to a bunch of internet strangers. Anyhow, here's the deal. My 2 and 4 year olds want to redo their room. I figure while we have everything moved to paint, we may as well move the 2 y.o. to a twin bed. Problem is that 2 regular twin beds won't fit in their bedroom. At first I was all about moving DD4 to a loft bed, keeping DD2 in the twin bed we have, underneath the loft. Then I couldn't find a loft that I loved that would work with the twin we have. So I decided bunkbeds would be the route to go. So I looked at bunkbeds, found some that are okay for about $200. Then I decided that if I am going to settle on some beds, why not just use the set of bunk beds we already have. Except that the bunkbeds we have are metal (I really would like wood), will need painted, will need some work on the ladder (usable but painful on feet), and will need at least pool noodles around the bottom mattress as there will be space between the mattress and wall (we'll lose pacifiers and stuffed animals, etc). The advantage of these bunk beds is that we will have underbed storage space. Then last night I was looking around the internet and saw the Ikea kids loft bed set up as bunkbeds and it looked really cute. So here's the dilemma. I don't know whether to go ahead and get the Ikea loft bed or use what we have. I feel like using what we have is still going to cost money and I won't be 100% happy with the results. But $200 for the other bed is going to come out of our vacation spending money, I may or may not be able to replace it before vacation (leaving us with only about $100 for a week at the beach, food provided). If it matters, the beds we have look like this http://www.amazon.com/Dorel-Home-Products-Twin-Over-Twin-Black/dp/B004LQ1R3S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1364323509&sr=8-6&keywords=metal+bunk+bed except the top guard rail doesn't go the whole way to the end and there are no rails around the bottom bunk. So what say the strangers? Buy new or work with old?

I am not a fan of any metal parts on bunk beds, but this is due to a very traumatic experience when I was small. I was on the bottom, but had a nightmare. I shot straight up and got my head neck caught in the metal hardware under the top bunk. I thought it was all part of my nightmare and continued screaming, but my parents came rushing in and my dad actually cut his hands ripping the metal away from my neck.

So....I vote get the new bed. ::yes::

I also vote new. They will both cost money, the old need work, ad you like look of new. Def go with new!

I would refurbish the old ones for now. They will be fine. I don't think the changes you mention should cost too much and buying a new bed right now would make a big dent in your budget. If you buy the new bed, it's possible to have just as many things you don't like about it once it's set up.

I wouldn't do anything yet. I'd wait at least a year. There's no way I would put a 4 year old in a bunk bed. At age 4 and 2, I'd use a toddler bed and a twin for a while and just wait.

Another idea: You could use a loft for the four year old ( I wouldn't, but its an idea), and just put the twin mattress on the floor for the little one for now. My kids spent years with just the mattress on box spring on the floor, and it was easier because we didn't have to worry about it being a mess under the bed, and it was easier for the little one to get in and out bed independently

Or you could do a captains bed (not as high as a loft) with a trundle. Ikea has some of those.

I wouldn't put a bunk bed in a room with a 2 year old, or have a 4 year old sleep on the top bunk. I think the AAP recommendations for safety tend to be good, and they suggest 6 for a top bunk.

What about a trundle bed, or a double and having them share?

I wouldn't trust a 2 & 4 yo in bunk beds, but I would use what I had & find a solution. I would not be buying more beds.

We did use bunk beds when ours were younger and 2 are still in bunks. They are 14 and 15. But I think age 2 and 4 are too young. We know a family whose 3 year old died in a horrible accident the first night he had bunk beds. His grandparents bought the set and dad put them together. All were understandably distraught by it.

Are you talking about the Kura bed? If so, it's much lower than a regular bunk bed. My older son safely slept in it lofted when he was 4. Because it is much lower you won't be able to keep a mattress under the loft and use it that way for as long as you would use a traditional bunk bed.

I have a twin over full bunk in my boys' room. It has a warning under 6 should not be in the top bunk. I would look into a trundle bed. My older DS has his own room now but I don't let my 8 yo sleep in the top bunk. He likes to sleep at the edge of the bed and the rails are not high enough for me. Have you thought about 2 toddler beds? I loved them when my kids were younger.

Because I can't make simple decisions, I come to a bunch of internet strangers. Anyhow, here's the deal. My 2 and 4 year olds want to redo their room. I figure while we have everything moved to paint, we may as well move the 2 y.o. to a twin bed. Problem is that 2 regular twin beds won't fit in their bedroom. At first I was all about moving DD4 to a loft bed, keeping DD2 in the twin bed we have, underneath the loft. Then I couldn't find a loft that I loved that would work with the twin we have. So I decided bunkbeds would be the route to go. So I looked at bunkbeds, found some that are okay for about $200. Then I decided that if I am going to settle on some beds, why not just use the set of bunk beds we already have. Except that the bunkbeds we have are metal (I really would like wood), will need painted, will need some work on the ladder (usable but painful on feet), and will need at least pool noodles around the bottom mattress as there will be space between the mattress and wall (we'll lose pacifiers and stuffed animals, etc). The advantage of these bunk beds is that we will have underbed storage space. Then last night I was looking around the internet and saw the Ikea kids loft bed set up as bunkbeds and it looked really cute. So here's the dilemma. I don't know whether to go ahead and get the Ikea loft bed or use what we have. I feel like using what we have is still going to cost money and I won't be 100% happy with the results. But $200 for the other bed is going to come out of our vacation spending money, I may or may not be able to replace it before vacation (leaving us with only about $100 for a week at the beach, food provided). If it matters, the beds we have look like this http://www.amazon.com/Dorel-Home-Products-Twin-Over-Twin-Black/dp/B004LQ1R3S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1364323509&sr=8-6&keywords=metal+bunk+bed except the top guard rail doesn't go the whole way to the end and there are no rails around the bottom bunk. So what say the strangers? Buy new or work with old?

Leave them in the beds they are in. 2 and 4 yr old aren't old enough to want to redo their room. They will live with what you gave them. Repaint if you want but never put a 4 yr old on the top of a bunk bed. Good luck !

I wouldn't do anything yet. I'd wait at least a year. There's no way I would put a 4 year old in a bunk bed. At age 4 and 2, I'd use a toddler bed and a twin for a while and just wait.

I agree- 4 is to young to be in the top bunk!

Are Bunk Beds Safe for Children?Q: Is it safe for a 3-year-old to sleep on the top bunk of a bunk bed? I know there are also "mid-size" beds where the mattress platform is at 48" high (there is a ladder and railings around the bed); is it okay for a 3-year-old to sleep in that type of bed?

Karen Sokal-Gutierrez M.D., M.P.H. Pediatrician
A: Carmen, children love bunk beds—climbing up and down, and having a special “kids-only” place to play, hide, and sleep. But bunk beds can be hazardous for children. Every year, over 30,000 children are treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms and approximately 10 children die from bunk bed injuries. Serious injuries happen when children get their heads trapped between the railings, hang, and fall from the bed. While 60% of the children who died in bunk beds are under 3 years of age, a significant number of older children are injured, as well.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued new safety requirements for bunk beds for children. They define bunk beds as any bed that is over 30” off the floor. Bunk beds manufactured after the year 2000 must meet the safety standards, but older bunk beds might not meet the standards. Here are CPSC’s basic safety recommendations:

Don’t allow children under age 6 to use the upper bunk. Buy a bunk bed that has been inspected and certified according to the new safety standards. It should have securely attached guardrails on all four sides (including the wall-side of the bed); the lower edge of the lower guardrail should be less than 3.5” above the foundation of the bed to prevent head entrapment; and the upper edge of the guardrail should extend at least 5” above the mattress to prevent falls.

I would never put kids that young in a room with bunk beds, and also wouldn't pay any mind to a 2 and 4yo wanting to redecorate. :confused3 I'd agree with the pps to keep their current beds and revisit this in a couple of years (although I still wouldn't put bunk beds in there if they are still sharing a room).

When they're older and it's safe, then I'd purchase new wooden bunk beds. In the meantime I'd sell the metal ones on Craigslist.

My boys want bunk beds but no way in heck would I trust my 3 year in a house with a bunk bed never mind his bedroom. Bunk beds have always been our plan with them but his daredevil personality has changed that.

I think they are too young to be in bunk beds. My YDS is 3 and still in his crib as a toddler bed. My older ds is 6 now and moved into a big bed at 2 because of circumstance. I love my YDs still in the toddler bed, so much more room and he feels cozy and safe.

I'd hold off .... My 6 years room is Cars themed that I did when we moved in the house when he was 2.5. The 3 year old is nursery puppy and no plans to change soon. They don't care.

we bought wooden bunk beds for our girls when they were about 5 and 3 I guess. The top was enclosed well on both sides so we felt okay with the 5 yr old up there and the little one on the bottom, however, it was a total PITA to change the sheets on the top bunk.

eventually they began arguing about who had to use the top bunk and who had to use the bottom bunk, and they swapped back and forth over the years, separated the beds a few times (which made the room really tight) etc.

I went with bunks because I thought if they ever aren't sharing a room, (they each have their own room now) we can separate the beds and we wouldn't have to buy another bed down the road, so it worked out in the end, but if I had to start over, I would probably have bought a trundle from the begining. It would have saved a lot of headaches and having to change the dang top bunk sheets over the years that they shared a room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter