Which would you apply for

• Precheck

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Global Entry

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
So I just found out my credit card will reimburse the application fee for Precheck OR Global Entry. I don't travel much, fly MAYBE 1-2 a year, have gone out of the country three times in the last six years.

My reflex is to get the Global Entry since it comes with Pre-check, BUT, would it really be helpful? Any international trips will be with family who wouldn't have GE. And the interview for GE would be two hours away vs 15-30 minutes for Precheck.

So which would you apply for?

Normally I'd say GE but in your case pre probably makes sense UNLESS the.2 hour trip gets you to a location you'd like an excuse to go...family member, shopping, attractions (Las Vegas?)

Double check GE interview sites Precovid they occassionally had extra sites
Or Plan an extra WDW trip and set up an appt in MCO

Last edited:
I had the same option and went with GE but my credit card reimbursement covered all family members. We have yet to use GE but have used the associated pre check many many many times.

I have GE and my husband has pre check. His was 100% easier to get than GE. Appointments were backed up when I first applied in Oct 2019 so I didn't have it for our Dec 2019 trip. Then covid hit and everything shut down. I rescheduled and rescheduled and rescheduled. Finally got it this August. I was stressed that I'd just flushed $100 down the toilet. It all worked out but was much more of a headache than I anticipated for maybe saving some time in the future on international travel.

So I just found out my credit card will reimburse the application fee for Precheck OR Global Entry. I don't travel much, fly MAYBE 1-2 a year, have gone out of the country three times in the last six years.

My reflex is to get the Global Entry since it comes with Pre-check, BUT, would it really be helpful? Any international trips will be with family who wouldn't have GE. And the interview for GE would be two hours away vs 15-30 minutes for Precheck.

So which would you apply for?

Is it once a year (reimbursement) or what?
If it's once a year, I would do Global Entry this year for yourself. Next year, for someone else, and so forth.
Yes, you'll have different expiration dates, but eh...

Same goes with Precheck

I would go for the pre-check option. If you don't travel a lot internationally and/or travel with family members who don't have it, you won't gain much in having to wait for them. Pre-check is a big timesaver for domestic travel. I setup the pre-check interview at the airport when returning from a trip. My credit card company also reimbursed me for the cost of pre-check that I believe is good for 5 years. I don't know if you just renew by paying a fee or if an additional interview is again required. Will see how that works out when my current one is up for renewal.

Last edited:

I had the same option and went with GE but my credit card reimbursement covered all family members. We have yet to use GE but have used the associated pre check many many many times.
Which CC if you don’t mind me asking? Most I’ve seen only covers the card holder.

Last edited:
Normally I'd say GE but in your case pre probably makes sense UNLESS the.2 hour trip gets you to a location you'd like an excuse to go...family member, shopping, attractions (Las Vegas?)
Unfortunately no, only Cincinnati. It's not unusual for me to go there, but usually just weekends and I'm willing to wager I wouldn't be able to get an appointment for a day I'll already be there. lol

Pre-check sounds like the better option given how infrequently you fly internationally and the distance you'd need to travel for the interview. If you do need to travel internationally, Mobile Passport is a good alternative to global entry. It's an app from CBP that basically prefills out those customs forms. Airports generally have separate lines for those who use Mobile Passport, so you get similar benefits to global entry without having to pay for it.

I would go for the pre-check option. If you don't travel a lot internationally and/or travel with family members who don't have it, you won't gain much in having to wait for them. Pre-check is a big timesaver for domestic travel. I setup the pre-check interview at the airport when returning from a trip. My credit card company also reimbursed me for the cost of pre-check that I believe is good for 5 years. I don't know if you just renew by paying a fee or if an additional interview is again required. Will see how that works out when my current one is up for renewal.

My TSA Pre-check is up for renewal in 6 months. I just got an email and was able to renew online for $70. Five years ago, my original cost was $85. The renewal time period is 5 years, and it starts when the original time period expires.

Which CC if you don’t mind me asking? Most I’ve seen only covers the card holder.
The Navy Federal Flagship card also offers a GE/Precheck credit for each authorized user up to 4.
Is it once a year (reimbursement) or what?
If it's once a year, I would do Global Entry this year for yourself. Next year, for someone else, and so forth.
Yes, you'll have different expiration dates, but eh...

Same goes with Precheck
All of the cards I am aware of are one credit every four years except the AMEX Platinum, that is if you use the credit for GE it is four years, if you use it for Pre it is 4.5 years.

Ultimately depends on your situation, if everyone has it and you have even one international flight every year or 2 I’d say it’s worth it. We love global entry, it’s just the two of us and we both have it so customs into America takes less than a minute, after a long exhausting international flight that time saved feels priceless.

We’ve only used GE 3 times vs probably 30 for precheck but we’ve found it worth the small additional cost and effort to get it.

We don't fly internationally very much (twice in the last 10 years), but since GE cost only $15 more than PreCheck, we got GE. OTOH, we live near an international airport, and it was very easy to get an interview for our first application. We renewed last year and didn't need interviews.

We originally had PreCheck in 2014. About 9 months before it would expire, we decided to get GE, as we had planned an Australian and European trips within the next couple of years. We scheduled our interviews during a trip to Houston, at a connecting airport. Of course, Covid happened and that put a hold on foreign travel. We’re still happy with GE, especially since it provides another form of accepted ID.

FWIW, I had my Precheck "interview" yesterday at 12:40P. At 6:40P today (so 30 hours later), I got my KTN #. Of course, now the government has my fingerprints, so I'm going to have to keep that in mind. :crazy:

I would recommend GE, even with the lack of GE by your relatives. Like @Viva Las Disney said, it is a huge timesaver.

Your relatives can stand in line and you can wait for them in the bar! pirate:

One thing you could try is to do it on your Tampa trip. Mine took 10 MONTHS, but DD and DW got approved for interview in ONE DAY. So it might be workable. I'd be amazed if TPA doesn't have appointments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter