WWYD- Caribbean or Riviera

lundve

DIS Veteran
I’m a DVC member with a family of 5 so we have limits on room types...here’s what I’m pondering

Summer 2021 - our family - using new discounts - likely park time 2/3 to 3/4; resort time 1/3 to 1/4

Caribbean Beach 7D/6N Room only
Buying 6 day base ticket
$4181
Costs more - moderate resort - haven’t been there in 19 years

Riviera 7D/6N 158pts
Buying 4D tix with 2 free
$2354
DVC member with 94pts would need to borrow 64 pts (of 125 available to borrow) - never been to this resort - will likely limit future trips if borrow rules continue and because of personal point total

Last edited:
If I am reading things correctly, a frustrating snag in your plans could be that 64 is more than 50% of 125. They might end up cancelling your whole reservation based on that limitation, even though it is just 1.5 points over. Could you buy 2 OTU points, borrow 62, and then use the rest from this year's points?
If you had 250 to spare, then there is no issue.
Either way, I would go the Riviera route, as long as big incentives for staying at hotels don't show up sometime soon.

If I am reading things correctly, a frustrating snag in your plans could be that 64 is more than 50% of 125. They might end up cancelling your whole reservation based on that limitation, even though it is just 1.5 points over. Could you buy 2 OTU points, borrow 62, and then use the rest from this year's points?
Either way, I would go the Riviera route, as long as big incentives for staying at hotels don't show up sometime soon.

No, we have 250 points total so we can borrow up to 125 - I guess I’m just thinking of less points in 2022 use year combined with a limited borrowing possibly in 2023 too if that continues....

That above price includes for CBR includes 20% discount offered today - I doubt it gets better....

No, we have 250 points total so we can borrow up to 125 - I guess I’m just thinking of less points in 2022 use year combined with a limited borrowing possibly in 2023 too if that continues....

That above price includes for CBR includes 20% discount offered today - I doubt it gets better....

I would for sure go Riviera then.

I use a rough $10/point as my cost (annual fee plus a bit) to determine my room cost in comparing cash vs. points. I'm assuming I'll recoup DVc outlay when I sell. Otherwise, if you want amortize out your capital outlay, then add that in, purchase price per point/# years. If it's equal or less, I stay at DVC, if cash price is less, then I consider a cash room.

I know the OP can borrow up to 125, but if you have 125, you can borrow 63. They are nice and round up 1 for odd point contracts.

Points would be a no brainer for me.

Riveria, no question. My sister just stayed at CB for a couple nights and was very disappointed in the room quality and the overall resort. She could not believe how much disney charged for such a rundown property - her words.

New room Discounts Have come out, there may be more forthcoming.

WDW cancellation policies still very liberal, a big plus imo

if you can use the banked points next year, I’d do so

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter