WWYD? 6 nights Poly vs. 8 nights SSR or OKW

thinkerbell

DIS Veteran
There are just too many choices out there. This is what we have now. We are staying at Doubletree in the village for 6 nights (free with our Hilton Honors points) and 6 nights at the Poly(AAA rate garden view). If I renew my AP we can stay at SSR or OKW (studio) for 8 nights and pay for my AP renewal for about the same as we are paying for the Poly. It is just my husband and I. I am having a hard time giving up the Poly because of the monorail and because we have never stayed at SSR or OKW. What would you choose? If you would choose to move to SSR or OKW, which one would you choose?

Haven't stayed at SSR, but have stayed in a studio and a one-bedroom at OKW, and while they're lovely, I'd choose the Poly without a doubt.

We owned DVC and sold it after 5 years because we missed our stays at the Poly so much. We found that we just enjoyed the amenities/room/view etc. there much more than the DVCs.

No matter what you decide, enjoy your trip! :)

Even though I'm a DVC Member and we like both SSR and OKW, Poly is a special place. Its an Icon!, one of the originals. For 2 people its also an nice romantic place, you can sit on the beach at night and watch Wishes and Electrical Water Pagent. Nice pool and of course there is the Monorail. (Not to mention although this is new since our last visit I've heard they have a make your own Dole Whip station at Poly now!):banana:

My first choice would be Poly and then depending on your taste (If you like a more beach/tropical feel then OKW.) If you go with OKW I always ask for a room in Buildings 62, 63 or 64. They are within walking distance to the Hospitality House, pool, and restaurant.

Good luck....and enjoy.

Polynesian especially since you will have already been there for 6 nights at Doubletree.

Never stayed at the Poly but love visiting there. I'm a DVC members so I don't wanna pay to stay there. I just came back today from OKW studio, OKW is our favorite due to room size(usually get a 1 bdr), we have 3 boys, and relaxed atmosphere, we also like SSR becuase there are a lot of things to do there. My recommendation would be SSR or Poly. We love Old Key West but not a lot to do there, but we will stay there most of the time because it's special to our family.

We have stayed all 3 places, but for an AP and 2 extra nights I would do one of the studios in a heartbeat. Personally we love OKW, but never stay there if we are in a studio...I like the studios at the other DVC's better. SSR is new and fresh and just a short walk or a very delightful boat ride from DTD, excellent bus service to the parks...and you can go sit on the beach at the Poly and watch the fireworks whenever you want!!

We have fond memories of stays at the Poly, but it sure isn't our favorite anymore...I am probably in the minority here, but I think some of the other deluxes far outshine the Poly these days...besides, 2 extra days AND your annual pass??? I would hate to give up 2 extra days ...and I would feel obligated to use the AP again!!

Have fun whatever you decide.

I'm also a DVC member. For your situation I think I would pick Poly. Poly has nice big rooms and is in such a special place in the MK area. Now I love OKW and SSR looks beautiful. But we stay there for the one bedroom villas. Six nights at the Poly after already having spent six nights at the Doubletree might be just perfect.

However, price does have big input with me and if it meant having my AP paid for plus two extra nights for the same price...I might be inclined to go to OKW or SSR! Sorry not a big help!!!LOL!! It is a big decision...so many choices...all very good!:rotfl:

I adore the Poly and would pick it over OKW any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

That said, if staying at OKW means more days in WDW, I'd stay there. I like OKW - there is nothing wrong with it and I've enjoyed my stays there. Lots of palm trees, very cute and relaxing. Love the colors in the suites. It isn't the Poly, but it is a great place in its own way!

Haven't done SSR and can't comment on that.

Hum, to answer one question I would pick OKW over SSR anyday. The rooms are much larger and I enjoyed the atmosphere there. It was great to have the cooking space, living room, etc. And the tub in the master, wow!

Now that being said I'd love to stay at POLY, but if it meant giving up 2 more nights and the space/fridge/etc I'm not so sure. You could always still visit the Poly, eat at Ohana's/Konas, enjoy the view from the beach, etc. While staying at OKW. This is a tough one...lol.

You guys seem like you are about 50/50 and that really does help us. We are not big risk takers into the unknown. We did take a risk last year when we stayed at the Yacht Club and that turned out really great. It was wonderful. We were thinking that if you all were 100% on staying at OKW or SSR over the Poly that we would try it. I think we have definitely decided on staying at the Poly now. I am just too scared to give up our reservations there. We really love it. And about the AP, the only reason we would be getting it is to get the discount on the OKW or SSR. We most likely(99.9%) will not be able to use it again before it expires. Sooooo... thanks for your help!!:)

We have stayed all 3 places, but for an AP and 2 extra nights I would do one of the studios in a heartbeat. Personally we love OKW, but never stay there if we are in a studio...I like the studios at the other DVC's better. SSR is new and fresh and just a short walk or a very delightful boat ride from DTD, excellent bus service to the parks...and you can go sit on the beach at the Poly and watch the fireworks whenever you want!!

We have fond memories of stays at the Poly, but it sure isn't our favorite anymore...I am probably in the minority here, but I think some of the other deluxes far outshine the Poly these days...besides, 2 extra days AND your annual pass??? I would hate to give up 2 extra days ...and I would feel obligated to use the AP again!!

Have fun whatever you decide.
I agree! Guess I'm in the minority too! The Poly isn't worth the 2 nights!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter