Wow, you guys are great!

SueRS

DIS Veteran
I have lurked on this board for a while. But I guess it is time to share.

My mom has stage 4 cancer (colon but it is in the lung and liver). She has been going through chemo for the last year. It has been hard but we have been living through it. She has been somewhat scatter brained but not to bad. On Feb 1, she called me at work and said she did know how to get home or where home was. (She leaves in a retirement facility).

Background info: In 1999 she was diagnosed with the colon cancer and then two weeks later had a stroke. She was 59. We moved her through the system as she got better - hosptial, snf, board and care, and retirement facility. Last year she had a relapse where we went to the hospital and found the tumor in the liver and lung.

Since I was in denial, I told her how to get home. My DH thought I was crazy to not go get her and take her to the facility. The facility called an amulance that night to go to ER. I was not called.

Now her PA is saying this is Dementia/Alheimers.

I am freaking out. There is not enough time in the day to work FT, take care of two kids, have a good marriage, and my mom.

Stress is hard today. I have been be crying on and off all day.

Trying to get the Oncologist to call me and keep everything straight.

Thanks for listing. :scared:

Sue, it sure sounds like you have enough on your plate.:grouphug: to help you get through it.

My mom was diagnosed with beginning Alzheimers/Dementia several years ago. I moved her a year ago to an assisted living facility near me, since she had been living an hour and a half away. I only work part time from home for my DH's business and only have one DS. But I can tell you I was also overwhelmed by just too much stuff this last year, between finding a facility, moving her, selling her house, disposing of contents, etc. Somehow, it does all work out.

Just take a deep breath, prioritize starting with you and your health first since you can't be a caregiver to your entire family (DH, kids, mom) if you don't get enough sleep, get sick, etc.

Good luck.

:grouphug: I do not have much advice but I want to say ((((hugs))). My mom was diagnosed a few months ago with cancer so I can relate with how hard it is to juggle everything. :hug: I'll be thinking of you and your family.

:grouphug: I know it must be tough for you dealing with all of this. Remember to take care of yourself first. It is easy to try and do for everyone else but sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves.:grouphug:

Just take it one day at a time.:hug: 5years ago when my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer, I worked full time and our childrens ages were Dd17 Ds13 and our surprise baby had just turned one. To say I was overwhelmed was an understatement and when I look back now I still don't know how I made it through but somehow you do.

Sometimes you just tuck your head and keep on walking. This is a hard road, indeed. :grouphug: Cry all you want. I used to walk the dog and cry. Poor dog! He had sore feet by the time I got done. All you can do is keep going. If people ask what they can do to help, let them help. Tell them to bring dinner, watch the kids, pick up groceries, shovel snow, whatever needs doing because all your energy is going elsewhere. You'll get your turn another day.

Sue.. I am so glad you posted here, no one ever needs to feel alone going through what your family is going through. I have done my fair share of crying, I try not to let DH see me, but in the shower, driving the car, I cry..

Your poor Mom....sometimes I swear the chemo does terrible things to their brain and they end up in that chemo fog where they do not know what they are doing. Please know we are here for you when you need to vent....this is not easy, and you will do the best you can to help your Mom and keep your family going. It is amazing how we manage to do it all when it is so overwhelming...

Double hugs to you, we are here for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter