WOW! What an ugly scene at Vero Beach's front desk - day usage to pool hop

OhioDVC

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
I am staying at Vero Beach and stopped by the front desk to pick up my mail. Next to me, a lady came up to the desk and wanted a day pass to the resort. She stayed at Disneyworld one night last week and then went on a Disney Cruise. After the cruise (today) they drove down to Vero to use the resort for the day. She demanded a day pass for the family since they were Vero DVC members.

The cast member at the front desk politely told her that she could only pool hop IF she was staying at a DVC resort.

I left and went to the store. On my way out, the lady was still at the front desk arguing that her family deserved a day pass since they were DVC members. Her voice was getting very loud. Her claim was that the sales person 12 years ago promised her she could use the resort whenever she wanted on a daily visit basis and now DVC was cheating her.

Who knows what the sales person said 12 years ago. The only thing enforceable is the POS. Sometimes DVC members are very ugly, expecting special treatment over and above what they paid for.:furious:

It isn't just some DVC owners, it can be anybody. People have learned that if they get loud and confrontational, they sometimes get their way.

:earsboy: Bill

I witnessed a very ugly scene at SAB when someone staying at OKW insisted his family could swim in SAB that day.

I fell sorry for the CMs who have to deal with these things.

Hardly what I'd consider to be 'an ugly scene' but, yes, some people do have entitlement issues :rolleyes:

Hardly what I'd consider to be 'an ugly scene' but, yes, some people do have entitlement issues :rolleyes:

I consider is ugly when an adult has such little control that you can hear them screaming across the lobby.

There is never a reason for an adult to scream at a cast member, never!

I am staying at Vero Beach and stopped by the front desk to pick up my mail. Next to me, a lady came up to the desk and wanted a day pass to the resort. She stayed at Disneyworld one night last week and then went on a Disney Cruise. After the cruise (today) they drove down to Vero to use the resort for the day. She demanded a day pass for the family since they were Vero DVC members.

The cast member at the front desk politely told her that she could only pool hop IF she was staying at a DVC resort.

I left and went to the store. On my way out, the lady was still at the front desk arguing that her family deserved a day pass since they were DVC members. Her voice was getting very loud. Her claim was that the sales person 12 years ago promised her she could use the resort whenever she wanted on a daily visit basis and now DVC was cheating her.

Who knows what the sales person said 12 years ago. The only thing enforceable is the POS. Sometimes DVC members are very ugly, expecting special treatment over and above what they paid for.:furious:
I hope they didn't end up allowing it or offer her any compensation (then or later). I'm also hoping she doesn't have subsidized points but she likely doesn't if it was only 12 years ago (2001 or so).

was not staying in a dvc resort and expect to be able to swim in one.

talk about being confused. now there are some timeshares that allow you to do this - Orange Lake (now Holiday Inn Orange Lake) I think. was one.

was not staying in a dvc resort and expect to be able to swim in one.

talk about being confused. now there are some timeshares that allow you to do this - Orange Lake (now Holiday Inn Orange Lake) I think. was one.
I know Marriott and Bluegreen allow it on an availability basis. Some guarantee it and I know some who have bought a hometown ownership simply for access to the pool and other facilities.

It sounds pretty ugly to me. I sure hope they didn't give in to her. Her request is ridiculous.

The sad part that people believe something was told to them but in reality they misunderstood what was said. It's just more proof that people sign documents without reading them. And the poor CMs have to take the abuse.

I foresee the end of pool hopping completely just so the CMs don't have to deal with such nonsense.

I foresee the end of pool hopping completely just so the CMs don't have to deal with such nonsense.
I've been predicting it would end for some time, I would have thought it would have ended well before now.

I consider is ugly when an adult has such little control that you can hear them screaming across the lobby.

There is never a reason for an adult to scream at a cast member, never!
Agreed! Sounds ugly indeed.

I'm also hoping she doesn't have subsidized points but she likely doesn't if it was only 12 years ago (2001 or so).
What are subsidized points, Dean?

What are subsidized points, Dean?
When VB was early, there were plans that the resort would be larger than it is. DVD owned additional land beside where the resort is now and planned to add at least one more beachside building like the 3 three there now. There were also plans for more options across the street including activities and villas. VB & HH didn't sell well and Disney cut back the resort substantially. This meant the dues would be more because you lose the economy of scale and a smaller group of members have to pay for the common areas and infrastructure. I'm totally not sure how the original plans compared to the current product but I'd venture to say it's about 2/3 of it's original size. This article might help a little.

Sure do hope you're wrong. I like it.
In a sense it's already an albatross for both DVC and the members. You have resorts restricted to PH along with time restrictions. You'll lose 2 more resorts (GF & Poly) within the next couple of years. You'll almost certainly see BW closed to PH within another year or 2 after that due to volume. You'll certainly see more time restrictions. Disney themselves doesn't even know how to administer it. Ever call or go to a FD and ask about PH, you either get the blank stare or a "that's not allowed" most situations even when it is (VB is the exception). So soon (really now to a large degree) you've got a program most can't use the way they want to when they want to, that the system has no idea how to handle on a day to day basis and for the most part the only resorts open to PH are (certainly will be) one's no one will go to. I know there are exceptions (mostly CSR).

IMO, the bottom line is that whether they official remove it or not (they may not) it's a dead program now or in the near future for all but a dramatically small group of members. And that might be whey they don't. They can use it for sales without it actually being usable. Reminds me of an episode of Home Improvement where Jill was doing the no dinner fund raising dinner.

As those who have been around a while know, threat's of legal action are oft thrown around and my thoughts are almost the same as Bill Handle suggesting they have no case. While I doubt anyone will go to that extreme, in this situation I do think DVC would lose a class action suit on this subject. I understand it's a perk and not a contractual issue but I believe the inequality where resort A can hop to B but not the reverse is essentially an automatic fail for DVC in such a case.

When VB was early, there were plans that the resort would be larger than it is. DVD owned additional land beside where the resort is now and planned to add at least one more beachside building like the 3 three there now. There were also plans for more options across the street including activities and villas. VB & HH didn't sell well and Disney cut back the resort substantially. This meant the dues would be more because you lose the economy of scale and a smaller group of members have to pay for the common areas and infrastructure. I'm totally not sure how the original plans compared to the current product but I'd venture to say it's about 2/3 of it's original size. This article might help a little.
That's interesting. I didn't know about any of that. Thanks for explaining! :)

That's interesting. I didn't know about any of that. Thanks for explaining! :)
You're certainly welcome. The rest of the story is that due to HH and VB slow sales, at least 3 DVC projects were canceled including a DVC resort in NewPort Coast CA that had already been announced (current site of Marriott Newport Coast) and in CO (now a Hyatt) plus a NYC project and possibly a rumored HI project as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter