WOW - wait times

StacyStrong

DIS Veteran
wow. The wait times look insane today, even MK on a party day.

Can anyone there confirm it’s crazy crowded? I’m surprised by the wait times given how the rest of the month has seemed. Is something going on I’m unaware of? Nervous for my trip starting next Thursday !

Can anyone there confirm it’s crazy crowded? I’m surprised by the wait times given how the rest of the month has seemed. Is something going on I’m unaware of? Nervous for my trip starting next Thursday !
Disney loves to inflate wait times, ESPECIALLY near 6pm on a night when they are closing for a party.

Funny, I was looking at wait times earlier and thought they were pretty good. Bang on for Touring Plans crowd level prediction of 5. DHS times were gnarly with TOT being closed when I looked, but Test Track was 20 minutes as was Big Thunder.

Sure but I just saw ToT at 175 minutes. That’s a big wait for a ride at a non-party park at 5:30 pm, even inflated!
It would make sense that non-party parks are crowded on MNSSHP days. A lot of people that aren’t going to MNSSHP don’t want to use a regular park ticket for the MK when it’s closing at 6pm. So it would make sense if the other 3 parks seem crowded. Couple that with ride breakdowns and you can get some crazy wait times.

Based on the time of your post at 5:46PM you're also checking at a time when the MK has potential to be the busiest of the day as at that time the park is open to both day guests and party guests so there are more people there at that time than there are earlier or later.

I don’t know guys. This seems really high to me still. 100 minutes for Toy Story Mania at 7 pm? Doesn’t seem like a level 5 day to me. I’ve been checking all day and the waits across all parks seem higher than they have been all month.

Interested to see what touring plans rates it tomorrow.

It's hard to gauge wait times from the app, honestly. Last Friday afternoon, Jungle Cruise was listed as 45 minutes. We were on within 8 minutes. Literally empty queue.

The Friday before, we got in line for TSMM around 8pm and it was posted 45 minutes. It's 100% normal for HS wait times to be grossly over estimated in the last 2 hours (which we knew - that's about the only time we hit that park). We walked right onto the ride.

In person, you can check the line and know better of what the actual wait is.

I don’t know guys. This seems really high to me still. 100 minutes for Toy Story Mania at 7 pm? Doesn’t seem like a level 5 day to me. I’ve been checking all day and the waits across all parks seem higher than they have been all month.

Interested to see what touring plans rates it tomorrow.
Okay so it’s a bit mixed (per TP at least). MK, AK, and Epcot had reasonable crowds and MK was even lower than they originally estimated.

Buuuuut HS was an “8” instead of the 5 predicted. Eesh. I knew the waits seemed high there. I know it’s a party day, but that was higher than I expected!

Good to know my mind was just playing some tricks on me!

Okay so it’s a bit mixed (per TP at least). MK, AK, and Epcot had reasonable crowds and MK was even lower than they originally estimated.

Buuuuut HS was an “8” instead of the 5 predicted. Eesh. I knew the waits seemed high there. I know it’s a party day, but that was higher than I expected!

Good to know my mind was just playing some tricks on me!

We think 14% (so 1/7th) of all of DHS's ride capacity was unavailable yesterday because of downtime. That definitely inflated wait times at the rest of the park.

It looks like Runaway Railway, Tower, and Rise all had considerable downtime. Rise's downtime is typical - it averages around an hour and 45 minutes per day. But having multiple high-capacity rides break down on the same day, in a park with not many rides, is hard to recover from.

We think 14% (so 1/7th) of all of DHS's ride capacity was unavailable yesterday because of downtime. That definitely inflated wait times at the rest of the park.

It looks like Runaway Railway, Tower, and Rise all had considerable downtime. Rise's downtime is typical - it averages around an hour and 45 minutes per day. But having multiple high-capacity rides break down on the same day, in a park with not many rides, is hard to recover from.
Oh wow! That’s a whole lot of downtime. Definitely accounts for those higher waits at HS. That must have been so frustrating to experience for those that were there.

Y’all are doing great work, by the way!

One of the many reasons I love TP! Len, so appreciative of how much work you put into collecting and analyzing the data, but more so that you use your blog and come here and help break it down. This and the lines app is why I always recommend the very reasonable subscription.

One of the many reasons I love TP! Len, so appreciative of how much work you put into collecting and analyzing the data, but more so that you use your blog and come here and help break it down. This and the lines app is why I always recommend the very reasonable subscription.

Thank you!

One of our major research projects for the summer is to look at alternate ways to forecast crowds. A side effect of that was to look at what to do given that rides seem to have more downtime these days.

So we can answer questions like "If 7DMT is down at rope drop, what should we do instead?"

Thank you!

One of our major research projects for the summer is to look at alternate ways to forecast crowds. A side effect of that was to look at what to do given that rides seem to have more downtime these days.

So we can answer questions like "If 7DMT is down at rope drop, what should we do instead?"
A worthwhile, but I imagine difficult, endeavor. The increase in downtime from our previous visit two years ago seems to be the most significant wildcard in strategizing our touring plans for our upcoming trip. More so than G+ or ILL or any other major change. Keep up the incredible work!

I was at MK yesterday around 12-3 and can confirm that it wasn’t empty. I think so many people have talked about how empty MK is on party days (or who knows, could’ve just been a fluke) that people are catching on. Haunted Mansion had a 50 min wait, Buzz 40, we even had to wait quite a bit for Peoplemover.

It wasn’t insanely crowded (aside from the shops on Main Street which always feel insane to me) but it wasn’t empty either.

I was at MK yesterday around 12-3 and can confirm that it wasn’t empty. I think so many people have talked about how empty MK is on party days (or who knows, could’ve just been a fluke) that people are catching on. Haunted Mansion had a 50 min wait, Buzz 40, we even had to wait quite a bit for Peoplemover.

It wasn’t insanely crowded (aside from the shops on Main Street which always feel insane to me) but it wasn’t empty either.
I was there also. Granted, I rope dropped and left a little before 2, but it was the least busy I have seen MK in the last twenty years. Didn't use a single lightening lane and the longest I waited in any line was 12 minutes. I'm sure it became busier as the party approached and that afternoon deluge passed, but until then, every ride was virtually a walk on

From my experience in Mid late July there were a lot of rides going down. Examples: Space was down the entire day we were there. Rockin roller coaster was down at some point all days as was ToT. The day we went to Studios both were up in the morning then both were down in the afternoon then up then down…. as was star tours all day. The lines were well over 3 hours as they gave everyone fast passes. In fact there was not a day that we did not get anytime fast passes for the next day. Crowds are low but rides are breaking down a lot…….Major and minor… even saw spaceship earth down for a while…

I was there also. Granted, I rope dropped and left a little before 2, but it was the least busy I have seen MK in the last twenty years. Didn't use a single lightening lane and the longest I waited in any line was 12 minutes. I'm sure it became busier as the party approached and that afternoon deluge passed, but until then, every ride was virtually a walk on
Sounds like you zigged while we zagged. The line for Haunted Mansion was 50 min. We left at 3, before party guests arrived unless they have day passes. MK overall was much less busy during our July 4th trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter