• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow...I'm Tired But Will Get Flamed I'm Sure.

Tink10

Always Lurking
I'm okay saying I work in the vacation rental industry & I work with a reputable company. But I'm just angry.... I have been dealing with both owners and renters for a month now and everyone thinks they're right. Not to mention, I've heard EVERY reason in the book why people think they're right. The whole Covid thing and entitlement is unbelievable.

Owners - Please do not complain about losing your points, maintenance fees.....Whatever. You risk something by renting...It's not a gimme. Make your thoughts known to your management company. Will it help?? Maybe..Maybe not, but be thankful that DVC is better than some companies. Nothing will change unless you make things known.

Renters...You're getting a bargain. Stop thinking that you're *Entitled* to get a full refund. The owners lose something too and really..Should it be all on them? You didn't want to pay Disney prices...there's something to pay for that.

The absolute reality is that whenever you travel, wherever you travel, unless you buy a completely refundable rate or fare, there is always a risk. If you don't think otherwise...actually take the time to read your agreement or terms.

So to all the complainers,

To the renters, come on....you're not paying Disney prices, You wanted a better price, so you rented. It's a risk. If you weren't willing to accept that, then you're silly and didn't read the rental agreement. This is a VERY fluid situation. and can change at any moment's notice. But know the owners had restrictions on what you're cancelling, so stop. If you signed a rental agreement, that should be the rule for your transaction, unless you had an owner nice enough to work with you.

To the owners,,,Stop complaining. This is a VERY fluid situation. You weren't promised anything in the purchase agreement that could have compared to this. Be happy Disney is better than a lot of companies.

When you book a vacation rental, there's no complaining about the 'Should" get a refund, especially when you're getting such a bargain. Many many brokers will be completely put out of business. Even worse, so many are dying.

Really?

Last edited:
I'm okay saying I work in the vacation rental industry & I work with a reputable company. But I'm just angry.... I have been dealing with both owners and renters for a month now and everyone thinks they're right. Not to mention, I've heard EVERY reason in the book why people think they're right. The whole Covid thing and entitlement is unbelievable.

Owners - Please do not complain about losing your points, maintenance fees.....Whatever. Make your thoughts known to your management company. Will it help?? Maybe..Maybe not, but be thankful that DVC is better than some companies. Nothing will change unless we make things known.

Renters...You're getting a bargain. Stop thinking that you're *Entitled* to get a full refund. The owners lose something too and really..Should it be all on them? You didn't want to pay Disney prices...there's a price to pay with that.

The reality is that whenever you travel, wherever you travel, unless you buy a completely refundable rate or fare, there is always a risk.

To the renters, come on....you're not paying Disney prices, You wanted a better price, so you rented. It's a risk. If you weren't willing to accept that, then you're silly and didn't read the rental agreement. You know the owners had restrictions on what you're cancelling, so stop. If you signed a rental agreement, that should be the rule for your transaction, unless you had an owner nice enough to work with you.

To the owners, you weren't promised anything in the purchase agreement that could have compared to this. Be happy Disney is better than a lot of companies.

When you book a vacation rental, there's no complaining about the 'Should" get a refund, especially when you're getting such a bargain. Many many brokers will be completely put out of business. Even worse, so many are dying.

Really?

i have nothing to say but this is probably going to be a good thread. I will make the popcorn 🍿

Lol...I'm an owner & have been a renter. I do get both sides. I also work in the industry and am amazed at the renters who think they're entitled and all the owners who think they're due some sort of compensation. IF a resort is closed...yes...the resort needs to make it right. The owner should pass that to their renter.

However, I've seen very selfish & kniving renters & owners because of this tragedy....Just looking to make a buck or get a free vacation.

It's pathetic & I'm just tired of the complaining from both sides. I also hear about it all day...every day...from both sides. ;)

Last edited:

When we did a vacation rental we saw the cancellation when we booked online, then a phone call re-stating the cancellation and another email to confirm. I got it. And the only way we could've cancelled was due to a hurricane. That was it. No health crisis, nothing. Read your agreement.

When we did a vacation rental we saw the cancellation when we booked online, then a phone call re-stating the cancellation and another email to confirm. I got it. And the only way we could've cancelled was due to a hurricane. That was it. No health crisis, nothing. Read your agreement.

I commend you Boopuff. From my experience...Most don't read.

@Tink10, I'm a bit confused. Your diatribe stated that the owners should be happy to get whatever they got, and the renters shouldn't be upset that they lost what they paid. Now, you're saying your company isnt making anything. Does that mean you're returning whatever commission and remaining money to be paid to the owners? Does your contract spell that out in the event of a force majeure situation?

Owners - Please do not complain about losing your points, maintenance fees.....Whatever. You risk something by renting...It's not a gimme. Make your thoughts known to your management company. Will it help?? Maybe..Maybe not, but be thankful that DVC is better than some companies. Nothing will change unless you make things known.

Renters...You're getting a bargain. Stop thinking that you're *Entitled* to get a full refund. The owners lose something too and really..Should it be all on them? You didn't want to pay Disney prices...there's something to pay for that.

The absolute reality is that whenever you travel, wherever you travel, unless you buy a completely refundable rate or fare, there is always a risk. If you don't think otherwise...actually take the time to read your agreement or terms.

To the renters, come on....you're not paying Disney prices, You wanted a better price, so you rented. It's a risk. If you weren't willing to accept that, then you're silly and didn't read the rental agreement. This is a VERY fluid situation. and can change at any moment's notice. But know the owners had restrictions on what you're cancelling, so stop. If you signed a rental agreement, that should be the rule for your transaction, unless you had an owner nice enough to work with you.

To the owners,,,Stop complaining. This is a VERY fluid situation. You weren't promised anything in the purchase agreement that could have compared to this. Be happy Disney is better than a lot of companies.

Really?

I am not sure which broker you work for, but I disagree with your perspective about owners taking a risk by renting. The pitch at a DVC broker that claims to be the "oldest and biggest" has always been "risk-free." You get 70% upfront and I quote here: "The balance of funds owing to you is paid on the day of guest check-in. Reservations are NON-REFUNDABLE, so you get your money regardless of whether or not the guest checks into the resort. We hold back the final 30% to ensure that the guests have a room on arrival."

Now, I am not talking about what's the right thing to do in the face of a global pandemic, but to brush aside owners and tell them to suck it up because the risks are to be expected is just wrong. If the whole DVC rental industry manages to survive this pandemic, don't be surprised not to have any points to rent because the owners will either assume the risks themselves and move to private rentals or forget about rental all together.

LAX

I am absolutely saying we make nothing and we are returning fees. We're simply not making commission. We do have a commitment to the greater good of our nation and we're not really worried about the commission.

However...A force majure was something that we, as a small company, never thought we'd see. (who really did??). We're now taking it in to consideration and have changed our agreement.

In this situation, as a DVC member, I firmly believe that DVC will make owners somewhat whole as they can. It may not be perfect, but they will try. To renters, I'm saying that they need to assume some risk with getting such a deal on the accommodations.

The entirety is that I think owners need to stop thinking that DVC owes them something and I think renters need to stop thinking they're entitled to a full refund.

Let's face it, it's a bad time for all. People will win & people will lose. I have no doubt we'll see brokers go out of business. We'll see renters not renting and owners not putting their points up for rent. Americans, in particular, need to finally face that traveling is not a guarantee. There is always a risk, no matter the excuse.

I am not sure which broker you work for, but I disagree with your perspective about owners taking a risk by renting. The pitch at a DVC broker that claims to be the "oldest and biggest" has always been "risk-free." You get 70% upfront and I quote here: "The balance of funds owing to you is paid on the day of guest check-in. Reservations are NON-REFUNDABLE, so you get your money regardless of whether or not the guest checks into the resort. We hold back the final 30% to ensure that the guests have a room on arrival."

Now, I am not talking about what's the right thing to do in the face of a global pandemic, but to brush aside owners and tell them to suck it up because the risks are to be expected is just wrong. If the whole DVC rental industry manages to survive this pandemic, don't be surprised not to have any points to rent because the owners will either assume the risks themselves and move to private rentals or forget about rental all together.

LAX

First, I don't work for a broker.

I've worked for the company I'm with for over 12 years. I'm a timeshare owner & have been an owner & a renter.

I don't agree with broker claims. In fact, I think the majority of times, they're full of Pumbaa excretions.

But what really is risk-free?? Come on...anything can happen...We may be hit by a hurricane or natural disaster. Will that impact maintenance fees & usage. Yes. We have risks & the renter has risks.

Owners do take a risk every time they rent. If a renter skips out & can't pay their bill...Who does it go to? If a renter trashes the unit...regardless if a CC is taken at check in, who's ultimately responsible? It's the owner who chose to rent their week out & they need to accept that responsibility. DVC knows who the owner is. I'm not just talking about DVC, but Marriott, Wyndham, HGVC, Hyatt & the masses.

While timeshare owners MAY get the $$ up front, we can be hit with a bill after the guest leaves. (Think spring break). Also, in the matter of Disney renters who skipped out without their room charge being paid when the renter's credit card was declined, who was left holding the bill?? Has Disney changed that?...yes. But that's not the case with most rentals.

To put it simply, it's a risk for all and I'm just tired of the entitled attitudes.

Owners...You're making $$ so stop complaining

Renters...You're getting a bargain so stop complaining

It's a risk for everyone.

Last edited:

LAX

Again...Broker claims. (Do you have that in writing?)

I don't work for a broker and I'm sure that a lot of brokers are regretting that policy now. Because I personally know of several who will be going under because of Covid.

Last edited:
First, I don't work for a broker.

I've worked for the company I'm with for over 12 years. I'm a timeshare owner & have been an owner & a renter.

I don't agree with broker claims. In fact, I think the majority of times, they're full of Pumbaa excretions.

But what really is risk-free?? Come on...anything can happen...We may be hit by a hurricane or natural disaster. Will that impact maintenance fees & usage. Yes. We have risks & the renter has risks.

Owners do take a risk every time they rent. If a renter skips out & can't pay their bill...Who does it go to? If a renter trashes the unit...regardless if a CC is taken at check in, who's ultimately responsible? It's the owner who chose to rent their week out & they need to accept that responsibility. DVC knows who the owner is. I'm not just talking about DVC, but Marriott, Wyndham, HGVC, Hyatt & the masses.

While timeshare owners MAY get the $$ up front, we can be hit with a bill after the guest leaves. (Think spring break). Also, in the matter of Disney renters who skipped out without their room charge being paid when the renter's credit card was declined, who was left holding the bill?? Has Disney changed that?...yes. But that's not the case with most rentals.

To put it simply, it's a risk for all and I'm just tired of the entitled attitudes.

Owners...You're making $$ so stop complaining

Renters...You're getting a bargain so stop complaining

It's a risk for everyone.

Many owners occasionally rent out DVC points so that they can "redirect" the funds towards other vacations, not to make money as you claim. I imagine those who are really into renting DVC to make money would rather do it directly to avoid the commission, which is a good portion of the rental charge nowadays. As far as the risks of a timeshare are concerned, I understand what those are when I use the points myself. However, when I rent out those points through a broker, I expect those risks to be transferred along with savings that the reservation provides. I would assume the rather lucrative commission brokers charge would provide more than just a "match-making" with renters.

The point is if a DVC owner is going to be left holding the bag should a rental turn bad for whatever reason, what's the point of paying a broker??

LAX

So first you say this :

Then you say this :
However...A force majure was something that we, as a small company, never thought we'd see. (who really did??). We're now taking it in to consideration and have changed our agreement.

Owners - I provided my points per the agreement and expect to be compensated. I will exhaust all options per the agreement.

Renters - I paid for the rental and expect to have a room. I will exhaust all options per the agreement.

So as a small company you need to honor the terms of the agreement. It doesn't matter that you have now changed your agreement or terms going forward.

I am admittedly confused over the dealing with owners and renters and new wording in contracts but not a broker however in the end that is neither here nor there.

This situation is beyond what was ever considered to happen and yes, it's going to be fluid and there's still a lot of unknowns of what DVC may or may not do for owners, when parks will open and what will that be like and then you have to add in the continued concerns of the Covid 19. That all provides a good deal of anxiousness. One of my thoughts in reading this is that for many of these owners and renters this may be very critical funds to them and they will certainly be concerned about them and doing their best to recover vs it simply being a profit or savings vehicle to those who can handle the funds loss. It may be more critical than missing a vacation as they may be missing a job now. Some may have lost friends and family too.

Whatever the reasons may be it's certainly difficult to be a front line contact in a situation like this and I wish you the best as you navigate thru it.

I feel like losses should be split 50/50 between renter/owner.

I put a 50% deposit on a rental for next January, privately through the boards. If for some reason DVC ends up closing next winter, I would hope the owner works with me to move the trip. If for whatever reason they cannot (like no availability before deadlines, etc), then we accept we're out our 50% deposit.

I'd just hope the owner gives us every possible chance to move the trip at their disposal, and not just "oh you're dates are cancelled, too bad so sad." But if their hands really were tied, then we totally accept being out our $1250 deposit. Worse things in life have happened, we'll get over it. If the owner wanted to be really swell, maybe they could offer us the difference between our 50% and their dues to give us back a few hundred but I wouldn't count on it or demand it.

Since we're renting from an individual owner, we're sharing that risk together now. If neither of us is at fault, share the loss burden 50/50.

Really?
I have no particular interest in what you are saying, but I am a great believer in ‘venting one’s spleen’. It is therapeutic and good for the soul. I am also a great believer in venting, by writing things down but then sleeping on it, and often deleting what I previously wrote in the morning, or at least watering it down. It keeps me out of trouble, I find. 😤 😴🤫😇

I didn't realize that renters get refunded if there is a hurricane. Who pays the refund? The owner? That actually changes my opinion on this.......

I guess it depends on how the contract is worded (I'm an owner who has never rented so I've never seen a sample), but I think that may insinuate that the renter gets a refund if the resort is closed. What is the real difference from a practical stand point between a hurricane closure and a Covid 19 closure? It's just a technicality. The owner has the responsibility to keep the cash on hand and not claim "I spent it", because if there is a hurricane they may have to repay it.

Those who have read one of these standard contracts, do they usually have timeframes for hurricane cancellations (hurricane season)? What does it actually say?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter