Wow - I think I just made a pretty big mistake

Whipperwhirl

DIS Veteran
Bear with me - We have fort reservations 10/25 - 11/07 - the four of us (dh, ds, dd) are driving down from New England.

In June I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder and my drivers license was suspended - I probably wont have it back until January. Our original plan was to stop once because we would have two drivers - but then that morphed into stopping twice when I lost my license. I didnt want to sit in a car with nothing to do for 20 hours - My husband would much rather just stop once and plow through. Well this morning I woke up and I was like - well if he rather stop once and plow through - My children and I should just fly down and we could meet up there. Lets look at the rates for one way (we would only need one way - its a long story).

The flight to leave on 10/24 was only 100.00 so I booked it for the three of us. NOTE: 10/24 - not 10/25 - Soince the first day of our reservation is 10/25 - Ive made a pretty large mistake.

Now I have to find a hotel room for the three of us for 10/24 - I tried to get into the fort - for one night - no luck - the cheapest AP rate I found was for the all star music resort $77.00 - I pretty much rather sleep on the street. I know I could priceline a nice hotel cheaper - but I can't drive. This is so frustrating - I guess on the good side I will be able to get to the official Dis Party. Im just going to have to suck it up and book the All star hotel for a night. I guess I can always watch the fort for cancelations and then cancel the music whatever if a site opens up.

Oy.

You have to look at the goodside, you can get Disney Transportation to the Fort at no cost from AS Music, and it wont be that bad, its Disney afterall...

Have you looked at the Hotel at the airport for that one night? Maybe you can stay there because its close, and then have your hubby pick you up on the way. I'm bummed though.........looking forward to maybe meeting up on the way down, but I understand your concern!!!

I just recenly stayed at a Value Resort as I refused to pay the cost of a Deluxe Resort where my class was being held and to be honest with you...It was not all that bad. The major difference in the rooms were the decorations and the bath amenities. Other than that...not much difference at all. The size may be a tad smaller too but not much. At least not $200.00 plus a night difference in my opinion. Of course, you have the restaurants at the Deluxe Resorts but you can visit them from any resort. I did notice a higher noise concentration though but nothin' a pm aspirin can't fix for a night or 2.

mrsgus06 - We get in at 5:00 on the 24th - I can't believe I did this. I hope we have time to take the bus - check in wherever I get a room and then make it to the party.

Hi Mrs Scooter! Boy do I get some crazy ideas or what - It seemed like a good plan - too bad I have messed it up so horribly. I hope you have a safe trip - if you see one man travelling along in a ford escape with a trailer full of halloween decorations - dont hesitate to say hi! We have actually stayed at the hyatt at the airport a couple of times - nice hotel - I dont want to miss the party though. I'm going to keep trying for a site - Determination pays right? The 45 day window is comming up - Ill just peck away at the keyboard all day and try for one then or we will try to make it there from the value resort.

I hear you big kahuna1 - we could probably survive it for one night. Perhaps we just take a cab so we dont miss the party - I would be bummed if nothing good came out of this mistake!

becky1960 - I think Ive been traumatized by the transportation from CBR to anywhere - we stayed there in December and it took 1.5 hours to get anywhere! We never got to see the opening cerimonies at the MK once because we would take the first bus - and never get there in time!

and no way for your hubby to leave a day early? Without you there... I'm sure he'll show up a few hours earlier than he should. "well hunny i just didn't want you to be here by yourself with the kids..."

Well that's the kind of thing Kari would do, just drive straight through to get it over with.

How come they suspended your lisence?? Did the seizure happen in the car or something??
My g'mother and brother both have seizures but both are on good meds that keep them under control. But they never took away my g'mother's DL, she drove for like 5 years after her first one.

I stayed at the Music last year during Spring Break. It's not THAT bad....comeon, it's only one night...in Disney no less....;)

You could stay at a hotel by DTD that has airport shuttle service, then go to DTD and hit the internal bus system there... We stayed at the Best Western Lake Buena Vista(not a great hotel, not horrible), it was a downtown Disney resort. An easy walk, half mile away, they also have bus service to DTD.

We've stayed at the Pop in the past and it's not that bad, but we were in the parks most of the time.

My suggestion, instead of taking a cab to the Fort, take the bus to any park and then pick up the park bus that goes to the Fort. I would go to the Magic Kingdom, then pick up the water shuttle to the Fort and enjoy the ride.

Don't look at this as a mistake, make lemonade out of it! A new adventure awaits!

While they aren't the Ritz we have stayed at all of the All Star and have had friends at Pop. They are fine and whatever its Disney and only one day. Geez - come and have fun.

I think it all depends which state you are living in. I live in Missouri and when I had my first seizure they let me continue to drive, but after the 2nd one the would not let me drive for 6 months. I had to be seizure free for those 6 months on medication then they let me drive again.

Yay - Thanks clkelley - she informed me that there was a grand gathering slot open for the 24th so now we get to stay at the fort! Now I just need to figure out how we can get away with putting a tent on a premium site - ut oh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter