WOW DVC Prices !!!

Check out the ROFR thread - lots of talk over there about this in detail :-)

Does anyone have an idea why or what is causing the prices of DVC to drop like the temps I January???
my guess would be inflation, job losses and overall economy. maybe its normal for January?

I think the big driver really has been right of first refusal. Last year Disney was buying back a very high percentage of contracts at high price per point. This had direct impact of bidding up prices and now that they have essentially stopped people are quickly bidding down what they know can get through (it’s been a buyers market for while but rofr put prices higher then I would have even tried to bid on).

Does anyone have an idea why or what is causing the prices of DVC to drop like the temps I January??? Have seen Aulani 88.00 PP Boulder Ridge 98.00 Board Walk 112.00 Grand Cal. 233.00 and so on. I'm great believer in resale , What a great time to buy.
I started seeing posts noting the increasing inventory last spring w/ some predicting prices were bound to fall. It took several months, but once the prices started to fall many theories have been posted. I’m in the macro economic fall out camp - the pandemic ‘relief’ free money juicing consumption disappeared, inflation ramped up, the fed reacted by raising interest rates, consumer debt skyrocketed, and somewhere in all of that is likely the answer as to why resale prices are tanking. The micro factors cited are general dissatisfaction w/ Disney due to things like no APs, park reservations, increasing cost of a Disney vacation, DVC not ROFRing, etc..

Check the ROFR (right of first refusal thread) as that is part of it, but be careful quoting those sales numbers - the fact a few sellers sold cheap, or someone says they just got X Resort for X Dollars (often unverified) does NOT mean that is now what "all" of them are selling for lol. Resale prices have definitely dropped from our high a year or so ago, but it is still a full time job to get great DVC deals. And I say this as a recent Buyer, not a Seller ;)

Check the ROFR (right of first refusal thread) but be careful quoting those sales numbers - the fact one seller sold something (often unverified) for a low number does NOT mean that is now what all of them are worth lol. Resale prices have definitely dropped from our high a year or so ago, but good luck finding decent contracts at those prices. And I say this as a recent Buyer, not a Seller ;)

Are you serious?? Contracts are dropping all over, it is just a matter of it matching your use year, resort desire, and budget. You can get a lot of things for cheap right now.

Does anyone have an idea why or what is causing the prices of DVC to drop like the temps I January??? Have seen Aulani 88.00 PP Boulder Ridge 98.00 Board Walk 112.00 Grand Cal. 233.00 and so on. I'm great believer in resale , What a great time to buy.
Many predicted the drop, as February always tends to have reduced prices, and many were speculating that Disney would stay on it's ROFR Hiatus.
I, for one, am so glad they have, as i just added on at BWV for $110/PP.
I agree: it is a great time to buy. The only time, in recent memory, that resale prices were this low was during the height of COVID, and I bought a couple contracts during that dip also! :goodvibes
Happy Hunting:thumbsup2

I started seeing posts noting the increasing inventory last spring w/ some predicting prices were bound to fall. It took several months, but once the prices started to fall many theories have been posted. I’m in the macro economic fall out camp - the pandemic ‘relief’ free money juicing consumption disappeared, inflation ramped up, the fed reacted by raising interest rates, consumer debt skyrocketed, and somewhere in all of that is likely the answer as to why resale prices are tanking. The micro factors cited are general dissatisfaction w/ Disney due to things like no APs, park reservations, increasing cost of a Disney vacation, DVC not ROFRing, etc..
The “etc” of your post is possibly the largest part, but we don’t talk about Bruno.

We bought our 220 point Poly resale in October (closed in December) of 2022 at $149 per point. I thought that was a great price, as I didn't see any other offers below that price at that time. Last week, a 190 point Poly resale offer was accepted for $137 per point. My initial thought was I must have bought too soon. But we have our first trip booked for August and waiting until now to buy may have forced us to have to book direct (I would not be comfortable renting DVC due to our circumstances) at a worse resort for August and then begin using our DVC points in 2024. Saving $12 per point may seem like a lot, but our first trip at a worse resort and being rack rate may have eaten up any savings we would have realized by waiting. Plus, with the length of Poly's contract, the $12 per point will be moot 43 years from now.

Being new to DVC and the resale market, I see a lot of similarities to the stock market. Easy money, DVC and the stock market go up. Fed tightens, DVC and the stock market go down. At least initially, until an equilibrium is found. In some ways, they are the same. Investing is a privilege for those who have extra funds after their needs are met. DVC is a privilege for those who have extra funds after their needs are met. So my hypothesis is their price reactions to the overall economy and Fed would be similar.

The one caveat: do not buy DVC thinking it is an investment and will perform like an index fund over the long-term. It won't, but that's not why we buy DVC. It's an investment in yourself and your family. Nothing more.

Last edited:
All just speculation, but this does seem like a downward spiral.
  • Disney has priced direct so high that it stemmed interest.
  • Disney won't ROFR contracts unless it has interested buyers for those contracts
  • You only buy DVC if you intend to return on a regular basis
  • Revenge travel is over (?) Not sure about that one if you look at wait times this week
  • Things like G+ LL and the inflated standby wait times has people wondering if they really do want to return. That goes for prospective DVC buyers and current owners
  • Impending recession has people wondering if they really should invest in DVC. Current owners look to cash out and cut costs going forward
That all adds up to increased resale supply and decreased DVC demand. Capitalism take over, prices go down. IMHO, as long as there is so little added value to staying on property this has not found bottom. It's one thing to compare the cost of DVC vs the cost of staying on property. It's quite another to compare the cost of DVC vs staying off property. Even moreso, compare the cost of DVC to not going to WDW on a regular basis.
It seems pretty simple to me, but probably not to the people making the decisions; they need to return some, if not all of the on-property perks. That's not such an easy decision to make when there are 2 hour waits in the parks and the need to attract more guests is not readily apparent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter