• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you......

Ok so you are saying you would be working Saturdays to pay for your trip. That's different positioning, in my mind

I could not sustain that schedule myself

If you can and it's worth it to you and your family go for it

I would pare down the trip and cost and the number of Saturday's

No. But I don't even pick up OT to pay for vacation. Defeats the purpose IMO. If I can't make it work out of my regular pay then it's not happening.

No way.

I'd look at seriously trimming down that budget. Stay off site. Rent a couple vacation weeks off eBay, rent a car, buy groceries. Family of 4 could do 16 days for under $5000 easy and have a very good time.

No way.

I'd look at seriously trimming down that budget. Stay off site. Rent a couple vacation weeks off eBay, rent a car, buy groceries. Family of 4 could do 16 days for under $5000 easy and have a very good time.
You can plan my next trip. 6 days for 2 was $5,000 for us.

You can plan my next trip. 6 days for 2 was $5,000 for us.

I hear ya. We've done trips like that. And we've done ones like I described above:
7 days Silver Lake 2 br $400
Rental car, gas, parking $300
Park tickets $1500 (and that's paying cash for 4, we usually get 1 or 2 passes on reward points)
Groceries $200
Flights $1200 (again that's paying for 4, we usually use reward points)
That's typically 5 park days, $500 spent in the parks.

So $4100. Another week would be about $1500 more. I probably did under estimate a bit.

I would plan a shorter WDW vacation and keep my Saturdays free. As much as I love Disney, 16 days would be a bit much for me.

Depends on the situation.

If the trip is because you need time away to relax and rewind, then working like that is probably counter-intuitive

If the trip is because you just crave the magic, and want to have a once-in-a-lifetime over the top trip, then maybe it's worth it.

It also depends on how much you enjoy your job - if you love it, I'm guessing those days wouldn't be so bad and the pain level won't be bad. But if you less than love it, then it's probably too much.

And finally, it depends on what you are giving up to work those extra days - is it time with young kids? Then I wouldn't do it. If it's just time hanging out on your own, then why not? (And of course there are all sorts of shades of grey there in the middle.)

Personally, I would trade less days working for a shorter and less fancy trip. 16 days on a WDW trip would be a bit much for me. I get bored with things and am ready to go home after about 10 days. I'm also just fine with lower-end accommodations such as the Value resorts, so I would probably spend less on that sort of thing. But everyone is different - my sister thinks it's not a vacation if you aren't at least on the concierge floor of a 4-star hotel. To each his own!

Last edited:
I hear ya. We've done trips like that. And we've done ones like I described above:
7 days Silver Lake 2 br $400
Rental car, gas, parking $300
Park tickets $1500 (and that's paying cash for 4, we usually get 1 or 2 passes on reward points)
Groceries $200
Flights $1200 (again that's paying for 4, we usually use reward points)
That's typically 5 park days, $500 spent in the parks.

So $4100. Another week would be about $1500 more. I probably did under estimate a bit.

Yeah, if you have to fly and add in rental cars, the price goes way up.

We can drive.

So, take that budget and take OUT the $1,500 and that is about what we pay. And we rarely spend $500 in the parks.

There are 5 of us.

Gas: $300
Dog sitting: $200
Groceries: $200
Condo: $250-$300 (Skyauction typically)
Park Tickets: $1,800

We used to do it cheaper, when YES tickets included adult tickets. And SkyAuction used to be cheaper.

You didn't say how many people or their ages for the trip.

Also, where are you coming from?

Are you single?

Is your family already grown?

And does it have to be 2 full weeks?

There are so many variables here.

I could work every Saturday and I would take home what you stated. But on Monday I'd be trying to see which day off I was going to use for recovery.

How old are you? I'm older so overtime is not valued nearly as much as time off.

If you have young kids and a wife, they probably need you more on Saturdays.

That said, I worked full weekends - 7 days a week - in my 30ties to make ends meet.

I had 3 different jobs for awhile. There were no vacations for almost 8 years except a trip to see relatives.

I had to keep the bills paid and work up to a better paying, single job.

So it really depends on your situation and what you want. Back in the day I did it but not for a trip.

Now - don't have to.

No, but I might work half as many Saturdays for half as much time at WDW. I almost always go when crowds are low and can experience everything we want at the parks in that time. While the longer one stays the cheaper it becomes per day the law of diminishing returns kicks in eventually making days later into the trip less enjoyable. I can buy a season pass to a local waterpark for $50 so won't be spending time at them on vacation. That being said the three of us are spending a week on-resort at ASM with park hopper tickets and the regular dining plan for $2,517 so if each Saturday earned only $300 could pay for 16 days at WDW in about 22 Saturdays plus however many days it takes to pay transportation costs. My daughter has to save her own money for souvenirs as our trip is a lesson in deferred gratification and we've said no to other things.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you have to fly and add in rental cars, the price goes way up.

We can drive.

So, take that budget and take OUT the $1,500 and that is about what we pay. And we rarely spend $500 in the parks.

There are 5 of us.

Gas: $300
Dog sitting: $200
Groceries: $200
Condo: $250-$300 (Skyauction typically)
Park Tickets: $1,800

We used to do it cheaper, when YES tickets included adult tickets. And SkyAuction used to be cheaper.

Nice. As somebody who likes a good deal I say well done.

Oh I wish we could drive. We'd probably go every 3 or 4 months.

Nice. As somebody who likes a good deal I say well done.

Oh I wish we could drive. We'd probably go every 3 or 4 months.

Well, here is what happened:

We used to live within driving distance of Disneyland and had APs all the time (and they used to be cheap!) and we would just drive down for the day or an afternoon, etc....

When we moved to NC, I told DH I would only move if he promised we could go to DW every year. But adding in hotels, eating out, gas, dog sitting, etc....and it really adds up!

I rarely put in the groceries and eating out to the budget expenses though. I just use our regular budget for that anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter