Would you tell your 6th grader the truth about Santa?

This is from 2006, they kids out of college by now and likely has a kid of his own. I'd have to say that everyone has moved on from there. At 28 years old, I certainly think he has been able to figure it all out by now.

However, just for a thought, at 11 if he hadn't figured it out, there probably isn't any way to do it now. I remember when I was 11 my sister was four so we all kept up the act even though I knew it I thought I might ride that gravy train in and fake it as long as possible to accumulate a few more gifts. Even though my parents thought I wasn't aware, they would have been wrong if they thought I was expressing that to my friends at that age. It's been my observation that kids are a lot more savvy than their parents think they are.

I love these Zombie threads. I liked several comments before I realized how old it was lol. I'm gonna comment anyway.

I will say that my 12 yr old just realized that Santa/Easter Bunny etc isn't real this year. He's asked a few times and I just always said " what do you think?" and he would say that he still believes bc there is no way I am getting up in the middle of the night doing all the crazy elf stuff etc. I screwed up on easter and forgot to put their baskets out in time. And when he asked that time, it wasn't an ask so much as a "I don't think it's real" statement so we talked about it. I 1000% think he actually believed, or really wanted to, until this year. He is a real jerk sometimes to his brother in the way that only big brothers can be, and he would have gotten a real kick out of ruining it for his little brother if he was sure Santa didn't exist in the couple years prior to this. I'm actually impressed he hasn't yet, bc it's been close to slipping out a couple times when he's been talking. I will add he has ADHD and many (not all) ADHD'rs are a couple years behind when it comes to emotional development so it really isn't that weird for him to still want to believe at that age. And really thats what it comes down to, IMO. If a kid wants to believe they will talk themselves into it longer than kids who don't care.

This is from 2006, they kids out of college by now and likely has a kid of his own. I'd have to say that everyone has moved on from there. At 28 years old, I certainly think he has been able to figure it all out by now.

However, just for a thought, at 11 if he hadn't figured it out, there probably isn't any way to do it now. I remember when I was 11 my sister was four so we all kept up the act even though I knew it I thought I might ride that gravy train in and fake it as long as possible to accumulate a few more gifts. Even though my parents thought I wasn't aware, they would have been wrong if they thought I was expressing that to my friends at that age. It's been my observation that kids are a lot more savvy than their parents think they are.
hmm I think we need an update and need to know how it affected them

Our oldest granddaughter will be 13 in February and still believes in Santa. Her and her sisters goes to a very small private Catholic school and they live pretty sheltered lives. She has 1 more year at that school and then she will have to go to the local public school although I’m pretty sure it won’t be much longer until she figures it out. I’m just hoping she doesn’t spoil it for her 2 younger sisters.

I love these Zombie threads. I liked several comments before I realized how old it was lol. I'm gonna comment anyway.

I will say that my 12 yr old just realized that Santa/Easter Bunny etc isn't real this year. He's asked a few times and I just always said " what do you think?" and he would say that he still believes bc there is no way I am getting up in the middle of the night doing all the crazy elf stuff etc. I screwed up on easter and forgot to put their baskets out in time. And when he asked that time, it wasn't an ask so much as a "I don't think it's real" statement so we talked about it. I 1000% think he actually believed, or really wanted to, until this year. He is a real jerk sometimes to his brother in the way that only big brothers can be, and he would have gotten a real kick out of ruining it for his little brother if he was sure Santa didn't exist in the couple years prior to this. I'm actually impressed he hasn't yet, bc it's been close to slipping out a couple times when he's been talking. I will add he has ADHD and many (not all) ADHD'rs are a couple years behind when it comes to emotional development so it really isn't that weird for him to still want to believe at that age. And really thats what it comes down to, IMO. If a kid wants to believe they will talk themselves into it longer than kids who don't care.

My 10 year old believes. She has adhd and is one of the youngest in her class. Definitely a couple years behind, maturity-wise.

Recently, I fell asleep before the tooth fairy could switch out the tooth for some money. In the morning, she said “Mom, the tooth fairy didn’t come”. I just said “oh, try again tonight”.

And that was that. No further questions. Not even after I tried to prompt a conversation with “well that’s a first, huh? Maybe she took a sick day”. She just played it off with a giggle “nooo” and went about her business.

I switched it that day, but she had forgotten about it until I asked if she got her money a couple days later. 🤷‍♀️

This was an issue for many parents for decades before the original post and will be for decades from now, so it being a Zombie thread is moot, the topic is still current.

I did the exact same thing. They joy of having younger siblings. :angel:

The darn Elf ruined it for us so DD12 was 7ish.

I'm 48 and my dad always said...if you don't believe then Santa won't come. So, I still believe because the check he brings is pretty awesome. 😅(Before any negative comments- my grandparents on both sides did for my parents at Christmas and they've kept on the tradition for sis and me as we do for our adult son. DD will at some point get hers, too).

I would start planting seeds of doubt in 5th/6th graders that believe.

If I had to do it over I would not "do" Santa (or the others) as a real person and use them more as the spirit of the holiday. My younger daughter was devastated when she learned the truth. It took her a long time to get over that I lied to her.

I was wondering about this the other day about my son (just turned 12). I've been trying to feel him out, some times his answers make me think he knows the truth, then he'll say something/ask a question that will make me think he still believes. I found it interesting what you said re: ADHD, my son has it as well and he does seem more immature then his peers. His twin sister has known the truth for a few years now, went into her room one day and she was playing with something. I asked "oh, did Santa get that for you?" her reply was "yeah, santa" as sarcastically as possible while rolling her eyes.

I was wondering about this the other day about my son (just turned 12). I've been trying to feel him out, some times his answers make me think he knows the truth, then he'll say something/ask a question that will make me think he still believes. I found it interesting what you said re: ADHD, my son has it as well and he does seem more immature then his peers. His twin sister has known the truth for a few years now, went into her room one day and she was playing with something. I asked "oh, did Santa get that for you?" her reply was "yeah, santa" as sarcastically as possible while rolling her eyes.
Yeah no doubt some kids milk it just because they may get more gifts - I know my niece did - my son as well.
Some are just hedging their bets.

Its a lot tougher today with social media, etc.. so I never had to have that sit down, they just knew and milked it a year or two.

My 10 year old believes. She has adhd and is one of the youngest in her class. Definitely a couple years behind, maturity-wise.

Recently, I fell asleep before the tooth fairy could switch out the tooth for some money. In the morning, she said “Mom, the tooth fairy didn’t come”. I just said “oh, try again tonight”.

And that was that. No further questions. Not even after I tried to prompt a conversation with “well that’s a first, huh? Maybe she took a sick day”. She just played it off with a giggle “nooo” and went about her business.

I switched it that day, but she had forgotten about it until I asked if she got her money a couple days later. 🤷‍♀️
I have def forgot. Then I tell the kids their room must have been too messy for her to find the tooth and maybe if they cleaned it up, she'd come back that night lol
Yes I def believe ADHD has something to do with it. They are on avg 2-3 years behind other kids their age emotionally and in executive function skills, so it makes sense that they would be more gullible or apt to believe something that they want to believe. I know for sure several of his classmates stopped believing years ago and I'm sure they talked about it. But he'd come ask me and I'd be like "what do you think?" and he'd say he still believed bc I don't like to woke up in the middle of the night and theres no way I'd do all those things lol. Thanks buddy. But in his defense, I have worked really hard to keep up with all of it and keep it magical. Like we've taken the elves on vacation with us and then I've managed to sneak them in the house before the kids went in so they thought the elves beat us home. When we've been gone over easter, my friend came and hid eggs and the baskets so they were there when we got home. I know some people disagree, but I want to let my kids enjoy the magic and wonder of believing as long as they can. I want to let them be little and have that joy of seeing the elves every morning. Not to mention, during december I never have to fight them to get them out of bed bc they jump up to go look for them lol.

Well, since I read the whole thread before realizing…….

Let kids keep the magic as long as they can. Some days I still believe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter