Would you take a mid-day break in this situation?

Cando86

DIS Veteran
We will be attending MNSSHP on October 1 (a Thursday) when MK has morning EMH that start at 8am that we plan to attend. That means the park will be open from 8am-midnight. I'd love to stay in the park for the whole day but I'm afraid that come 9pm we're going to be ready to leave and I definitely won't do that after spending $70/MNSSHP ticket.

I also am afraid of taking away park time. We are planning for two MK days and last trip we did three and that didn't even seem like enough. I'd be comfortable with two full days but if we took the mid-day break on the MNSSHP day we'd be losing out on 3-4 hours of park time. We're hoping to snag a BOG ADR at around 4pm before the party and I'm wondering if that would be enough of a 'break'? I know this question is so dependent on so many factors but I'm just curious to see what others have to say/would do. We're two 29 year old adults by the way.

Thanks so much for any opinions/advice :)!

At that age I could go all day. Not now, though. A couple cups of coffee? A Starbucks Venti-sized one should work.

Just take some breaks during the day. Do Carrosell of Progress, Hall of Presidents spaced through the day those are restful.

If you don't normally go all day in the parks then I would suggest a break at some point. If you just need some time to sit and relax then your BOG meal might suffice. Is 4:00 lunch or dinner? Dinner would be better as you could take a little more time to relax. If you want a break and don't want to get too far from the MK then go on a Monorail tour and grab a drink and snack at each resort. You could even take the boat to WL ad FW for a relaxing ride. EMH to a late night close is a long, long day. We used to go all day like that but now that we have been so often we almost always take a break and park hop. Have fun!!!

I wouldn't take a break in your situation. I'd do a late breakfast (10/10:30) sit down meal & an early dinner sit down meal (4pm). I'd also do a touring plan that didn't have me crossing all over the park.

I think I'd take a break unless the next day was a rest day or you were getting an extremely late start the next day. If I was in the parks 16 straight hours and didn't get back to my room until well after midnight, I'd be toast the next day. But I can only vaguely remember being 29 ;) , so maybe the youth factor works in your favor.

If you don't take a break, make good use of air-conditioned venues like CoP, HoP, etc. where you can rest.

What a great dilemma! Have fun.

The weather might affect my decision. If it is really hot and humid and I found by afternoon that it was taking a toll on me, I might consider a break. Using the indoor, air conditioned shows as a break strategy might be enough to help with even that though. But otherwise for just the hours involved (8 AM to midnight) I would probably stay straight through.

I just wouldn't arrive at RD. Plan on getting into the park a little later that day so you can get your rest and be ready to go.
Then you can do RD your 2nd MK day.

At 29, my wife and I would be at MK from RD to when they kicked us out. Total commando mode. Now, with kids and being older, no way. Wouldn't want to get out of bed the next morning. :-)

I think the biggest decision factor would be how long it would take to get from MK back to your hotel and back to MK. Just adds the extra bus / bus stop time. If you do RD then focus on the rides that aren't going to be open during the party. You can then go back to the pool for a while late morning, enjoy lunch, and then head back to MK for the party mid-afternoon. We've done this before when the kids were toddlers so they (we) could nap and make it to party time.

My question to you is what do you plan to do the day after. If the day after can be a late start day, I'd definitely tough it out and stay all day at MK. If you're planning on another rope drop day, then I would need a break somewhere.

There are quite a few relaxing things you can do throughout the day. As others have said, Carrousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents. You can also take a ride on the river boat. Go over to Tom Sawyer Island, get a drink or some ice cream and find a shaded bench to sit on for awhile.

2 29yo's? Go for it! Rope Drop - park closing after MNSSHP. My then 4yo and I did 9am to 10pm so I'm guessing if you like to go, go, go then you'll be just fine. There's a great, quiet path behind Tomorrowland Speedway (well, quiet except for the cars) that is a nice place to get away from the crowds in the afternoon. Another vote for carousel of progress or Hall of Presidents too.

Our family did the 8am-12am MK day last year, and had no issues. We were up at 6am and went to bed at 2am. Our kids were 9 and 11. I vote for no break. Lol

If we have MNSSHP tickets we usually don't use an additional ticket at MK the same day. We have been able to get into the park at 4pm on the days of the party and from 4pm-12am we have been able to enjoy the park perfectly. The party was the only day we were able to ride the 7DMT and we only had to wait 30 minutes, after 10. You might want to enjoy a different park the same day as the party if you are planning on going to MK for two days.

Pretending for a moment I'm still 29......I'd go RD till the end of MNSSHP ::yes:: Rests could be a late breakfast in the park (even just something from Starbucks) and a 4ish ADR somewhere. Then I'd plan on sleeping in the next day.

At NOT 29, I'd take a break which I HATE doing and we never do when we have the kids. If we RD we leave by 10; if we're staying later we don't do RD. However in March when DH and I went sans kids, we were at MK 8:15 for our 8:30 KKTK tour. We stayed in the park until about 3 and left, planning to come back later for pm EMH. Back at the resort we got a last minute 7:50 BOG reservation :thumbsup2. Went back to MK about 7:15 then stayed in the park until 1a.m. It was great and we weren't tired even though we're old :rotfl:
You can always decide by like noon what you want to do. That would give you a couple hours to get back to resort, take a (short) break, then return for your early ADR and the party.

I could do AM EMH to midnight at 40 yo.... sure I could have done it at 29 yo, too.

I do suggest TWO sit-down meals, though, for the break. One that is late morning (10-11:30) and one between 5-7pm. OR - alternatively - do a sit-down meal/break at one of the monorail resorts sometime between 11-4. The Wave, Kona, Grand Floridian Cafe - someplace quieter. Wander around the resort - just get away from the craziness of the park for a bit - but not really take a long break.

Now - that would require a good night sleep the day before and require that I can sleep later the day after.

We will be attending MNSSHP on October 1 (a Thursday) when MK has morning EMH that start at 8am that we plan to attend. That means the park will be open from 8am-midnight. I'd love to stay in the park for the whole day but I'm afraid that come 9pm we're going to be ready to leave and I definitely won't do that after spending $70/MNSSHP ticket.

I also am afraid of taking away park time. We are planning for two MK days and last trip we did three and that didn't even seem like enough. I'd be comfortable with two full days but if we took the mid-day break on the MNSSHP day we'd be losing out on 3-4 hours of park time. We're hoping to snag a BOG ADR at around 4pm before the party and I'm wondering if that would be enough of a 'break'? I know this question is so dependent on so many factors but I'm just curious to see what others have to say/would do. We're two 29 year old adults by the way.

Thanks so much for any opinions/advice :)!
Two young adults will be fine. We have done 7:30-1:00am.

I agree with planning two sit down meals on that day, that gives you two hours off your feet. Hall of Pres. and Carousel of Progress are two good sit down attractions, also Mickey Philharmagic and riding the TTA/people mover is relaxing. If your hotel is too far away you can ride the monorail over to a MK resort and hang out in the lobby or lounge with a cold drink for an hour too.

My then 6 year old did 7:00 am to 11:00 p.m. at Disneyland with no breaks--- two 29 year old adults should be able to handle it!

We have done 9:00 a.m. to midnight in MK for MVMCP more than once (when DD was 4, 5, and 6). We have always had fun. We have done close to the same for MNSSHP the last 2 years, but we do run back to the resort to change into our costumes during the afternoon. I wouldn't really call it a break, because mostly we just change and then turn around and go back. We are pretty high energy and are suckers for the parties though- we typically hit more than one during our week. MK typically is not that crowded on party days until about 4:00 p.m., and I always seem to convince myself that if we are going to go that day anyway, then I might as well splurge and get tickets to an extra party to stay there longer that day.

MNSSHP is so much fun and there is so much to do, that I doubt you will want to leave at 9:00 p.m.! The 5 hours goes by so fast and it is hard to fit everything in! I think I could hang out all night over by HM watching Carlotta and Renatta; taking magic photopass shots with hitchhiking ghosts, and ghost drivers; and catching the parade as it goes through Frontierland and be happy!

I feel SO much better about not taking a break! THANKS guys!!! I was so worried we'd be dead (I mean, we probably will be) but I have faith that we can do it now. Now, is it September yet?!

Without kids, I'd definitely plan to play it by ear. We have kids and there's no way they could handle that long of a park day without a break. But with two adults, I'd say play it by ear. Get your dinner reservation and decide about 3 hours beforehand if you want to leave the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter