Would you take a baby that's 13 months to Disney?

Personally, we waited until our children were old enough to really enjoy it. They were 7 and 9 at the time.

I'm not opposed to people taking babies, at all...............just as long as you don't do what this family did back in 07!!! :mad:

According to the Osceola County Sheriff's Office, Juan and Dannette Rodriguez left the 3-year-old sitting in a stroller in the sun while they went on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

The little girl was there for 45 minutes.

By the time anyone noticed, the girl was unresponsive due to heat exhaustion and had to be revived by paramedics.

Our youngest was 11 mos and it was perfect sometimes I think it is easier when they are that age! She slept in the stroller during the day, LOVED the characters and really didn't add any extra work to our time there. Now going in August at any age - no thanks!

Well that would suck for you but not everyone. My parents had a blast when they came with us too. It's not babysitting it's enjoying time with your grandchild. Sorry but nothing beats seeing my dad ride the carousal with his only grand daughter for the first time EVER! Or my mom putting silly hats on her and her grand daughter. Those are memories they will have and pictures DD will see when she gets older. Ohh and they rode everything because we used child swap!

My house can't compete with a castle fireworks and pirates!

Ah, yes...but that isn't what was said. What was said was "to help take care of the baby". That is completely different. I love going with my family, my daughters, sil's and grandchildren but as an equal park enjoying partner.

In fact, I spent a near fortune a few years back to take, at my expense, my whole family to WDW. I paid for their tickets, their airfare and their lodging. I loved being with them. That is why I made a deal with them years in advance that as soon as the youngest was 6 I would take them. That way no one had to be the designated babysitter. If one of them asked me to go along so I could "take care of the baby" they would have to find another babysitter. I will share in the parks but I will not be the convenience person designed to free up mom and dad so they can have a good time. Sorry, I participate totally or I don't participate at all. Hopefully, that will clear it up enough to get the "what an evil person" out of the scenario. A troubled one perhaps, but not evil or child hating.

Ah, yes...but that isn't what was said. What was said was "to help take care of the baby". That is completely different. I love going with my family, my daughters, sil's and grandchildren but as an equal park enjoying partner.

In fact, I spent a near fortune a few years back to take, at my expense, my whole family to WDW. I paid for their tickets, their airfare and their lodging. I loved being with them. That is why I made a deal with them years in advance that as soon as the youngest was 6 I would take them. That way no one had to be the designated babysitter. If one of them asked me to go along so I could "take care of the baby" they would have to find another babysitter. I will share in the parks but I will not be the convenience person designed to free up mom and dad so they can have a good time. Sorry, I participate totally or I don't participate at all. Hopefully, that will clear it up enough to get the "what an evil person" out of the scenario. A troubled one perhaps, but not evil or child hating.

I think the issue is everything is not apples to apples...
If I were a grandparent paying for an extravagant trip for all my children and grandchildren to go, yes I can see waiting until children are a bit older and understand the "gift".

On the other hand I was talking about more of a hey mom and dad we are going to Disney you want to come along for some quality time with your grandchildren type trip.

On our trip there was always discussion who GOT to stay with the little one while the others stood in line to ride. The person that stayed behind got quality alone time to spoil the little one or if he was sleeping they got to just sit and people watch/relax or do some shopping. Then when everyone was done riding they got to use the rider switch pass with minimal wait. There was no burden to free up mom and dad or be a babysitter.

Just had to add ....

Do I expect my 2 year old to remember EVERYTHING -- no! Do I care, NO! He'll get pleasure in not only the big thiings like characters (hopefully lol) and attractions etc. but even in the little things -- like people watching and the Christmas decorations. I know my kid and I know things like the lights on the ground at EPCOT are going to amaze him or the fountains. I want to see those little feet chase those lights and laugh when the sprinklers hit him -- things he won't care less about when he's 7 or possibly even 5.

He's not going to remember our day at the playground right now either but that doesn't mean I don't take him. Granted WDW is a heck of a lot more money but so what. Life is too short not to do what you want to do. I regret every day that we didn't take my dad down the shore with us last year to see Lucas on the beach. Does Lucas remember it, no but that's one thing my dad always wanted -- to see his grandson on the beach and sadly he's not going to get that. No regrets in life.

I just returend from a trip with my 9 month old. We had fun. Yes, we had to take more breaks, change diapers, and pack a diaper bag each day, but we had a great time. We also didn't get to see the night shows (our dd is afraid of fireworks) so it was a different trip, but a fun trip nonethess and I'm glad we did it. Our dd did really enjoyed several attractions: IASW, Country Bears, Dumbo, the Safari. She also loved the characters but at a distance. She loved to look at them and point. We have plans to take her again when she is just over 2.

The August timing might be an issue. We typically go to WDW in Sept. but decided to move our trip up to May this year in hopes of better weather because of the baby. It was still hot but not quite as humid as September. August in FL is like standing on the sun.

Yes I would and have taken a child younger than 13 months to WDW. And I would do it again. My youngest son was 8 months old on his first trip (and has been many times since). What great memories we have of that trip. Does he remember...of course not. But boy do we have wonderful videos and pictures of a very happy baby on a hot June trip to WDW. It was so fun for all of us...his older 2 brothers were 8 and 5 at the time. Wouldn't have dreamed of making the older 2 wait until the youngest was "old enough to remember" and wouldn't have left him at home either. Kids can have meltdowns anywhere, not just on vacation, so why use that as a reason to stay home? It was a more challenging trip than when the boys got older but every bit as fun and memorable. I would not change a thing! My older 2 boys were 5 and 2 when they first went...again a great trip full of memories. Each age we have taken our boys has been unique and wonderful in it's own way. Now that my youngest is graduating from high school, I am so glad we made all of those trips no matter the extra work they entailed! Time flies by so quickly and before you know it, they are all grown up. Every moment spent with them is a treasured one. Even when they are hot and cranky at WDW...which didn't happen often!

As for grandparents coming to spend time with grandchildren or babysit, I think it's just how you look at it.

One of my parents' favorite times with DD from our '09 trip was when they watched her while DH and I rode BTMRR. To them, it's not babysitting. Like another poster said, it's spending quality time with their grandchild(ren).

Like I said, I guess it's all in how you look at it. My parents are already talking about taking the kids to the Boneyard while DH and I (well, if I get my nerve up) ride EE. I guess technically they're babysitting someone else's kids while the parents go ride a ride. They look at it as getting an opportunity to play with, and bond with, their grandkids.

My son actually started really walking for the first time at EPCOT. He was so excited, he walked from one end of the park to the other.

We have, twice actually! We took our oldest when he was 14 months, with my parents. We all had a wonderful time, even the grandparents :scared1: There were often times my mom or brother did not want to ride so DS stayed with them while we rode.

See... he really did have fun (and he isn't even 6 or 7!)
disney08082.jpg

This past December, we took our youngest who was 13 months and oldest was 4. They both had a blast and I think DS4 was at the PERFECT age for it :lovestruc

716.jpg

Of course, it is their decision as to whether they feel comfortable taking their child on a trip at any age. I guess we are one of those on the go families. I've never seen the downside to taking my kids with me to experience new things, no matter the age. My DS4 is pretty well traveled and despite what other people think, he remembers a good bit of his vacations. He could tell you all about trips he has taken to Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head, and Disney. He actually looks forward to them and puts in requests for things he likes to do while on these trips.

I did take my 13 month old to Disney. But the trip was for us mostly. I wanted to go somewhere where I had been before and knew what to expect. I stayed onsite so that I could easily go back to the hotel mid-day. We also took my mother along so she could help us. Now another thing is that our daughter had been walking since 10.5 months so we didn't have to carry her the whole time while in lines. I wouldn't take a kid that couldn't walk at all.

Our daughter loved the characters - she thought they were big stuffed animals! She also loved some of the rides (unfortunately It's a Small world was closed while we were there). We finished up at the parks by 2 at the latest and went back to the hotel. She would nap and then we'd take her to the pool which was awesome.

It was a slower paced trip but we had fun. And we have some great pictures of her which we will enjoy for years to come.

The baby is under 3 and is free, why not take her. Just as long as they take serious breaks from the heat.

To each their own...
My parents have gone and wouldn't traded it for the world! Both my husband's and my parents have joined use for multiple trips to Disney World to enjoy the time away with their children and grandchildren. They only go to Disney to be with their grandchildren and experience it with them. My husband and I love Disney World and have also gone and left the kiddos at home with their grandparents.

We have taken our youngest every year sometime twice a year since 6 month of age. He is 5 now and often tells us stories that start with "Remember when I was 3 at Disney World..." and goes on to tell a detailed account of something that we thought was trivial at the time. In our eyes: priceless...

Here are some photos from our trips.

Enjoying rides together! (On a side note, the man in this photo below is my FIL. He is a hard person to get a picture of smiling. Most pictures it is a half smile no teeth. Look what WDW with his grandchildren does to him... He can't help but smile!)
DSC05789.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

DSC05207.jpg

Enjoying time alone while others ride ToT.
DSC08093.jpg

When rides break down, you catch a quick nap.
DSC08735.jpg

Grandparents too.
DSC08733.jpg

He is a good stroller sleeper and travels well. We have never left the parks for an afternoon break.
DSC08107.jpg

DSC08818.jpg

Most importantly my children will have the memories and photos for a lifetime!
DSC07915.jpg

DSC07902.jpg

DSC07836.jpg

And you can't tell me the grandparents didn't have fun too...
IMG_3822.jpg

MNSSHP (Note FIL's "usual" smile here...)
image292.jpg

OMG those are great. Grandparents look like they had a wonderful time bounding with you all.

We took our 13 month old and 2 year old at the time...We had a wonderful time...They don't remember the trip BUT DH and I do...And we have lots of pics of their smiling faces...We have no regrets going with two small ones.

I'd take a baby that young. JMO.

Absolutely yes!! DS was 14 months and DD was 15 months when we took them for their first times. We went for ourselves because we love disney and we weren't sure how it would turn out. It was the BEST!! Of course the babies don't remember but it was magical. The charachters loved interacting with them and they were stimulated by all the goings on.

Of course we had no expectations. Napped when we needed to and relaxed when we needed to.

If you are only going for the kids, wait. But if you are going for yourself, give it a try, you may be pleasantly suprised.

I would say that ages 2 and 3 were the most challenging. Those toddlers don't want to do anything you want. They have a mind of their own and they express themselves loudly. I'd wait it out again until 4 years old. That was another magical age!

My in-laws took us for my DD 1st Birthday, who was I to say no to a free trip to my favorite place in the world?

Did she get a whole lot out of it, no of course not, but it was still a great trip and I do enjoy it more now that she is 10!

I took my son at 3 months. I'll likely be taking him to Tokyo Disney when he's around 13 months old. I don't particularly like August for Disney in general, because of the heat. That doesn't mean I would never take a child. We would simply spend more time at our hotel.

That said, if it was a first time trip, I wouldn't recommend it. My husband and I have no problem adjusting our schedules to accommodate a baby. We've been to Disney before, and we know we'll go back. In the case of Tokyo Disney, we know that this is probably the only time we'll be able to go, so its either take the baby or not go at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter