When you actually read most of these for context I think you are twisting peoples comments. A top definition of family is adults and children living in same household ... and lots of other definitions. Context matters.

My comment was to respond to someone who felt "families" with children were going to be prevented from coming ........... I was only responding to their comment. My family is all adults so NO that is not what I was saying to the quoted poster.
And I was pointing out that the use of words carries meanings that we may or may not intend. You said "...Adding one hotel that is geared for adults would have absolutely NO IMPACT on families going" not that it would have no impact on families with young children or no impact on those families going. You may say that this is pedantic and maybe it is a bit though it was never intended to be a dig at you or to say that you personally felt that families must include young children. Still, it was an example among many of how often people unconsciously use the word family as quite distinct from adult-only groups without children (whether adult or minor).

Those without children are often left out of the definition of "family" - as you point out in your top definition of family - and that is what I was saying that I find annoying: that the language that people use - whether they mean it or not (and sometimes they do) - can perpetuate the perception that, somehow, couples without children are something less than a family, something that I see and hear so very often. As someone with children, you have probably never been on the receiving end of language that tends to put you into a class of being less than something deemed valuable, but I certainly have, as have many of my childless friends. It's a very non-inclusive use of dated terminology and I simply wanted to express that this is something that I would like to see be more inclusive or more precise.

I was on a train the other day when a group of like 30 first graders came onboard with their teachers. My God, they were loud. No filter or quiet voices. Thankfully they were only on for the last leg, maybe 15 minutes.
We had a truly awful class last year. They're currently ending a trip, and they have had multiple incidents, including stealing, spitting, and bus drivers wanting to quit. I do my job at work and then want to be away from kids. I would love to go to Disney but know the kids would get on my last nerve. The loud voices and screaming---I still wish I could've had a poem read at our wedding without a toddler screaming over it.

Really? The choice of words people use to differentiate those adult-only groups without young children and "families" clearly imply that most people unconsciously or unintentionally do not consider adult-only groups to be families. Even those who support the notion of an adults-only hotel still distinguish those groups from families. From this thread alone:

Implication: Adults-only <> family

Implication: families contain kids

Implication: adults who are on their own are not part of a family

Implication: families contain children

Implication: family-oriented <> adult-only

Implication: families <> adults without children

Implication: majority of people on DCL are "families" aka not adults only groups

Implication: family only <> adult only

Implication: families <> groups with different ages (not children)
Don’t drag me into your… whatever you have going on here…

I would love to go to Disney but know the kids would get on my last nerve.
Whenever, during our annual family vacation, mom would collapse into a fetal position in the corner of the hotel room mumbling something semi-coherently about this being the last family vacation we'd ever take, we three kids knew we should start thinking about what we were going to pack for next year's trip. :laughing:

I am going with no. We are Disney adults with no small kids anymore. But we know when you go to adult only resorts and cruises it just brings out that party atmosphere that I’m not in to. I’d rather hear kids at my resort that probably are asleep by 10, then hear drunk adults on balconies, pools, and yelling in hallways at 2am.

I am going with no. We are Disney adults with no small kids anymore. But we know when you go to adult only resorts and cruises it just brings out that party atmosphere that I’m not in to. I’d rather hear kids at my resort that probably are asleep by 10, then hear drunk adults on balconies, pools, and yelling in hallways at 2am.
You're assuming the worst, that such a resort would create and promote rowdy adult-type activities and salicious entertainment. Why can't it just be a beautifully-themed resort, like other Disney resorts, that has a minimum age limit? In no universe would Disney be doing keg parties and wet t-shirt contests at the pool. And it's not like adults can't get properly liquored up at any other Disney resort already.

Last edited:
This thread is so entertaining! If .... big if... an adults only resort would exist, it wouldn't be all-inclusive. There wouldn't be a bacchanal type environment. My guess is you'd see lots of relaxing, honeymooners, a quiet lounge... kid free everywhere... I could see it being very popular

You've made a valid point. When we cruise we purposely avoid Carnival Cruise Line as the party atmosphere is not for us. The only time we didn't encounter this was on our 14 day Hawaii cruise. It was so quiet and at times we felt like the only people on board. Our girls were 4 of the 22 kids on the ship and we saw very few drunks. The average age of cruisers appeared to be in their seventies, eighties. Disney is a little different because usually people are so tired by the time they get back to their rooms they collapse, at least we do!! I'm not saying you won't see drunk adults because you will but I do think there are less than you will find at an all inclusive or on a cruise. My husband and I have only taken a couple trips alone to Disney and every time we go to the pool and see kids I feel a little "mom" guilt for leaving mine at home. For selfish reasons I would welcome an adult only resort to help ease my quilt!!!!

You've made a valid point. When we cruise we purposely avoid Carnival Cruise Line as the party atmosphere is not for us. The only time we didn't encounter this was on our 14 day Hawaii cruise. It was so quiet and at times we felt like the only people on board. Our girls were 4 of the 22 kids on the ship and we saw very few drunks. The average age of cruisers appeared to be in their seventies, eighties. Disney is a little different because usually people are so tired by the time they get back to their rooms they collapse, at least we do!! I'm not saying you won't see drunk adults because you will but I do think there are less than you will find at an all inclusive or on a cruise. My husband and I have only taken a couple trips alone to Disney and every time we go to the pool and see kids I feel a little "mom" guilt for leaving mine at home. For selfish reasons I would welcome an adult only resort to help ease my quilt!!!!
But Carnival is MARKETED as a “party ship,” and it attracts many who are there for just that. It’s not an age-restricted upscale resort.

People who don’t understand that an age-restricted resort isn’t necessarily a frat-house blowout have probably never been to a nice one.

But Carnival is MARKETED as a “party ship,” and it attracts many who are there for just that. It’s not an age-restricted upscale resort.

People who don’t understand that an age-restricted resort isn’t necessarily a frat-house blowout have probably never been to a nice one.
Agree

You're assuming the worst, that such a resort would create and promote rowdy adult-type activities and salicious entertainment. Why can't it just be a beautifully-themed resort, like other Disney resorts, that has a minimum age limit? In no universe would Disney be doing keg parties and wet t-shirt contests at the pool. And it's not like adults can't get properly liquored up at any other Disney resort already.
I didn’t say anything about rowdy, college wet t-shirt contests. I am simply talking about in general adults stay out later, have a tendency to drink more, etc when there’s no kids with them. I don’t want to hear noise after I go to sleep. We are at Disney and I am in my room to sleep. We had 4 adults in the room under us at the poly that the entire week sat out on their patio until 2am laughing and drinking. Very annoying. Way worse than hearing kids in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter