Would you stay at value or moderate just to try it out, even if you could afford deluxe?

When I run out of DVC points, the values/mods or offsite properties are what I check first.

Have snagged some good rates with APH over the years. Of course it’s not the same vibe as a deluxe but, always happy to be @ WDW period no matter where we land. The giant, over-the-top icons always make me smile.

Will say I’ve tried the refurbed rooms at Pop and not a fan, especially the pull down bed/disappearing table. Realize they needed refurbing but miss the nostalgic aspect.

Haven’t wrapped my head around the new parking fee policy. Not a fan of the buses. I keep telling myself to be happy i’ll Be saving money not renting a car when staying at a value.

Sure, why not? I'd be up for at least trying a night here or there, just to check out the different things at each resort. I know you can do that without staying at a resort, but I find we spend little time even at our resort for any given trip, never mind go check out others.

Besides, even if a guest could afford deluxe, maybe giving it up one trip would allow them to have a different bunch of extras/perks/experiences during the trip instead. (If you typically didn't have the budget for the resort, the parks, AND a whole bunch of extras.) For instance, one trip we stayed at a more expensive resort, but ate less expensive meals, etc., while another year we tried out a lower price resort and went kind of nuts with our meals and we did extra experiences. :D We did decide that we didn't like that particular lower-priced resort, but it wasn't like it ruined our trip for us. We still had a great time. :) We were still at Disney after all. :)

Yes, did it. No reason not to do it again..just havent....yet POFQ just to try it out. Nothing wrong with it, I actually really liked the resort itself. The only issue was the transportation wasnt as convenient as it is at a Deluxe. Room and amenity wise, it was great!

As far as values....nothing to do with location or room size etc... but the themes are just not my style. A giant Mr Potato Head does not scream "Youre on vacation" to me! I dont want Neon "Groovy" signs over my head! I would rather stay on Hotel Plaza Blvd..and have!!

I prefer the mods because I like being able to exit my door and immediately be outside. I only wish they had balconies or patios. We always rent a car so it's nice to access our transportation quickly. I dislike the long trek back to the room through the deluxes. I also like the mod's more expanded QS. But my favorite thing about the mod's is taking walks throughout the property. I really missed that on a our stay at AKL-savannah. CBR used to be my favorite. My personal feeling is that it's been ruined. It used to be so beautiful, I felt like I had been transported to a Caribbean hideaway. Not anymore. I guess it's POR for us now.

We have stayed at both mods and deluxe. We are usually a party of adults - 25yr to 65yr olds -so the theming of the values doesn't attract us. If we ever have grandchildren, I would absolutely try a value. We also like to spend time at the resort and frequent the pools, hot tubs, and restaurants. The mods are more like the typical hotels we may stay in elsewhere (the rooms, not the theming) and we are very comfortable/happy/relaxed there. The deluxe are definitely "fancier" than our normal travel spots, so they feel like a splurge -I like that too. I like the deluxe for the better pools and transportation. I guess it depends on how much time we plan on spending at the resort and how much we can afford to spend at the time. We are a flexible kind of family, so just appreciate the good aspects of wherever we are.

We have stayed in all 3 catagories, I don’t like the food courts at the values, always dirty, kids running around and foods not that great. We will stay at values and just not eat there.

Used to stay at values in my student days. Once I got a full time job I moved to Port Orleans French Quarter. Now I’m dvc and always stay deluxe—until this November when I’ll be back at Port Orleans French Quarter for the first time in twenty one years. I can honestly say I’m excited. Dvc was booked for wine and dine. Looking forward to showing my girls the hotel mama stayed at when she was first able to afford a full week at Disney. That first pofq trip was very special.

Tried value.. cannot re do that.
Have tried several mods, POR is my fav but Only Preferred. Greatly enjoy Deluxes and also deluxe plus Club level. Have also done dvc rooms and they too are fine by us.
We do what fits for the type of visit we re making.
The Only Non Options are values and off sites.

I did this once. I stayed at a villa at saratoga springs, and I switched half way through my trip to caribbean beach mainly because I booked everything last minute. It was all that was available. I couldn't get a villa for the whole week. I had an equally bad experience at both. I found the beds hard as a rock at both, so I requested toppers. That helped a little. But I didn't see the value in the villa over the moderate. Both were bad sleeping experiences.

If I'm going to stay on property, I want to be on the monorail or at least be able to take a boat over to the park. But since I'm a last minute traveler, I'd opt for Disneyland over WDW because I find it easier to do last minute.

So until the next recession, I'll stick with off property resorts. If the real question is about value, I think, at today's price points, you get more value off property. During the last recession, the on property resorts didn't cost any more than the off property ones, so it made sense to stay on property.

We stayed at the deluxe resorts for a while until they became cost-prohibitive for our (then-younger) family. We did split stays between deluxe/ moderate (we even did deluxe/Fort Wilderness cabin once) for a while after that and then switched to the moderates. I’ve only stayed in one value resort - All-Star Sports - and that was when it first opened with only four buildings completed. I can’t say I was wild about it, but it was only for 2 nights and we were meeting extended family for a reunion (the kids and tweens adored it). We became DVC members in 1992 chiefly because we knew we’d be visiting at least once a year and the moderate resort pricing was creeping upward. We enjoy the deluxe resorts, but also liked the moderates quite a bit. My personal favorite is POFQ. My guess is that if DVC had not come along we would still be doing deluxe/moderate split stays.

Anyone do this? Did you enjoy it? Do it again? Or never again?

Yes I would. Deluxe-wise we stayed at Boardwalk, Beach, Grand Floridian, Saratoga, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht, and Animal Kingdom. Almost poly, but we had to cancel that trip because I was pregnant and there was the whole Zika scare. We were REALLY tempted to try art of animation for our next trip because our toddler LOVES little mermaid, but the boards convinced me otherwise lol. But we were ready to!!!! We have also stayed at Caribbean beach and Coronado before and really liked them! We stayed there as two adults and with a young kid it seems like a bit much because it’s so spread out. I also want to stay at port orleans! I think the princess rooms there look cool. We just keep on staying deluxe because of the easy walking/transportation options. I hated Saratoga because of the lack of options but we’re trying them all so we did it. I would stay mod over there tho. But lack of transportation is usually the ONLY thing that holds us back. We are trying Swan this trip! But I think we are definitely open to trying at least other moderates. I’m still a little tempted to try art of animation. It seems cool for a kid. I don’t think we will ever do any of the all stars. They definitely don’t appeal to us at all. We would stay offsite before going there.

Yes. Before buying DVC most of our stays were at mods. POR is one of my favorite resorts. We stayed in a value a few times because there weren't any mods available. I'm not really a fan of the values. While I can afford deluxe resorts I personally find them ridiculously overprices. Last month we stayed in a standard view studio at AKL Jambo House. Rack rate was $600+tax, so even with a 40% discount it would be over $400 a night. It's not really a matter of whether or not I can afford it vs what I think is a good value.

Now we just stay DVC , book an extremely discounted room with a travel agency. If neither one of those were possible I'd have no problems staying at a mod. I prefer the food courts at mods over the quick service at deluxe/DVC resorts.

Maybe I've not found the best deluxe resort for me, but I've enjoyed my stays at Moderates far more than my deluxe stays as far as comfort and getting away from the hustle and bustle of the parks. I like where I'm staying to feel like it's giving me a break and the Epcot and MK deluxes I've stayed at seemed just so busy and chaotic. But whisk me away to POR or CSR and I actually feel like I'm getting a break to recharge and go back in for more later.

Maybe I've not found the best deluxe resort for me, but I've enjoyed my stays at Moderates far more than my deluxe stays as far as comfort and getting away from the hustle and bustle of the parks. I like where I'm staying to feel like it's giving me a break and the Epcot and MK deluxes I've stayed at seemed just so busy and chaotic. But whisk me away to POR or CSR and I actually feel like I'm getting a break to recharge and go back in for more later.

That's good to know. We just tried our first deluxe on our last trip (split stay - POR/AKL) and didn't feel like that at all, but maybe it was because AKL is quite far out as well.

That's good to know. We just tried our first deluxe on our last trip (split stay - POR/AKL) and didn't feel like that at all, but maybe it was because AKL is quite far out as well.
I've not stayed at AKL, but I have visited. Wilderness Lodge is on my list too -- both those seem far more laid back than BC, BWI, the Poly, and the GF.

We have stayed deluxe/moderate and have our first value stay at POP in June (I stayed for 1 night in 2013). I really liked the food court at POP and felt it had more options than the deluxe or moderates. I have no problem staying at any of the resorts as long as I'm at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter