Would you stay at Old Key West without a car?

Would you stay at Old Key West without a car?

• Yes

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Maybe (please explain)

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

jimmymc

Professional Adventurer!
After my first few DVC trips, I've determined that having a car in Orlando just isn't for me. I can use a combination of rideshares, Disney transportation, and walking to get where I need to go for far less money than a rental. I know that OKW is also frequently available last minute and is a good value for points, but the resort is very spread out and uses an internal bus system. While you can request rooms close to the main bus stop, I don't believe there is a way to guarantee this (if there were, then I think it would be an easier decision).

Owned since 2008. Have stayed at all resorts except for AKL, RR, and Poly. OKW is by far our family’s favorite resort and we never have a car.
Our first stay I did request near bus stop and got it. Listened to busses all vacation from the balcony. I don’t request that anymore.
We use the busses occasionally to get to/from the Hospitality House area but mostly walk. We find the grounds beautiful.

It is one that I own and stay there every other year or so. I have not had a car at WDW since I stopped staying offsite and bought into DVC. It really is not that bad waiting for the bus an they have the boat to Disney Springs as well.

After my first few DVC trips, I've determined that having a car in Orlando just isn't for me. I can use a combination of rideshares, Disney transportation, and walking to get where I need to go for far less money than a rental. I know that OKW is also frequently available last minute and is a good value for points, but the resort is very spread out and uses an internal bus system. While you can request rooms close to the main bus stop, I don't believe there is a way to guarantee this (if there were, then I think it would be an easier decision).
There is a booking category "Near Hospitality House". If you can get that category, then you should be OK without the car.

I answered "maybe" as we typically have a rental car while staying at WDW. It's conceivable that we would stay at OKW, or other resort, without a car.

Sure. No problem if you get a room near hospitality house.
We use the WDW bus transportation and the boat to DS, it works fine.
You can also walk to DS from OKW, along the river bank.👍

I've only stayed at OKW once in 2019 on our honeymoon and we did not have a car and it was a great trip. We walked to Disney Springs for dinner one of the nights along the "river bank" as mentioned above and it was a nice walk- although 1 worker on a golf cart rode by and stopped and asked if we were okay, so maybe not as many people do that walk?! Not sure but we thought it was relaxing (took the boat back to OKW since it was dark). We did parks almost everyday from rope drop to park close and even a Universal day (caught an Uber at the front of the resort) and we thought the busses were fine and no issues for us.

Voted yes. We stayed there last year in HH area. We had a car because we drive but didn't use it during our stay. It was a leisurely stay so that surely helps. Busses to the parks were fine and we walked to DS since the boat wasn't running.

I've only stayed at OKW once in 2019 on our honeymoon and we did not have a car and it was a great trip. We walked to Disney Springs for dinner one of the nights along the "river bank" as mentioned above and it was a nice walk- although 1 worker on a golf cart rode by and stopped and asked if we were okay, so maybe not as many people do that walk?! Not sure but we thought it was relaxing (took the boat back to OKW since it was dark).
Yeah, I wouldn't be walking along that path after dusk.

We have stayed many times without a car but we always bookt HH. You need to book this category early on. You can always waitlist it too.

It can be done. I would find it inconvenient if you need to get to the shop in the morning for food, coffee/soda refill. As mentioned, you can hop on any bus and it will take you to HH.

When we have a car, we park it and only use it to get to other resorts.

A car won't really help you get to the Hospitality House since you can't just drive up and park there; spaces are pretty limited. We've stayed at OKW without a car several times. The buses stop at every stop no matter where your room is, so it doesn't really matter if you're near the "main bus stop." In fact, I'd argue that relying on the HH bus stop isn't a great idea since it's the last stop en route to the parks, so the buses occasionally arrive full and can't pick up guests there. This really only happens in the morning around park opening.

If you get frustrated with the buses and don't have a car, Uber and Lyft will pick you up right in front of your building. I love OKW and hope you do too!

Since I still work and treasure every second of my PTO, the last thing I want to do is wait on a bus. We stayed at OKW once and loved the resort. But when on the first day there we waited over 30 min for a bus my wife seeing the look on my face wasted no time in going to Enterprise and renting a car. She knows I have zero patience when waiting for such things as bus transportation (never really bothered me waiting in line at an attraction-go figure). Anyway, the car made for a great time. Keep meaning to go back but have not gotten around to it.

I'm on the fence about OKW with a car. We usually rent one and use it to and from the airport, to do food and beverage runs, sometimes to drive around and see the sights (or quickly get to Ft. Wilderness for Hoop Dee Doo), but I'd say half the days the car's just sitting there in the parking area. I think we parked at HS one day, but that was due to the early EARLY opening of Stars Wars when it first opened. I haven't weighed the $ or time lost to replacing the rental car with Lyft, Minnie's, or using the WDW transportation system. The next trip we'll have two or three separable parties, so it may be some use the car/SUV and some use WDW transport on different days. To me, it feels split down the middle on getting one or not.

I know that that may not help, but perhaps knowing that others aren't sure either may also mean that you probably can't go wrong either way.

I did the it the last time I was there - we used Uber a lot - would have preferred we had a car !! I’m used to having one so I’m spoiled that way !! Hated going on internal bus felt like it was bus to nowhere and took longer than if I walked

We are car renters now but our final non-renting trip a few years ago was to OKW. While we will always rent going forward, it wasn't an OKW-specific negative experience that made us say "never again" to going without a car.

We did not have a Near-HH room, but did request (and receive) a room in Building 27:

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 4.15.26 PM.png

This gave us quick access to the first bus stop, ensuring we'd have a spot on the way to the parks, and we were still close enough to the HH that we could also try to catch the bus there (the final stop) if we just missed it at the closest stop. Being the first stop also meant we had a shorter bus ride on the way back from the parks. We really liked this location and the flexibility of accessing the first or last bus stop.

However, room requests are not guaranteed and Near-HH is usually booked first, so if we had had a room further away (example, buildings 49-54) we probably would have thoroughly disliked the bus situation at OKW.

In short, even as now-devout car renters we had success at OKW without a car, but our location played a big role in that and we got lucky. I would feel a lot more comfortable booking a Near-HH room without a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter