Would You Stay at Grand Floridian? Beach Avoidable? No Parent Bashing Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still stay at the GF. It was a tragic accident and there are and always will be gators in FL- were there is water. I know no one thought this would or could happen.
IF you daughter loves the Alice theme go with it and also you have to be comfortable.
As time passes for us it will be moved to back of our minds as with all other tragedies but for now prayers to the family in this difficult time.

I would stay there tomorrow if I could. This could have happened at any resort. A couple years ago a child got bit by a poisonous snake at a completely different resort (may have even been right outside a park) and it was quick action that saved their life. I don't think Grand Floridean itself is dangerous.

However, if you think you would remember ever time you see the beach then perhaps somewhere else is better. I can say though I don't look at Primeval Whirls and think of all the CMs that have died due to it (I think the count is 3).
What happened with the Primeval Whirl? I didn't hear anything about accidents.

I would definitely stay at the GF if I could. It's my dream resort. I love the theming and think it's the most beautiful of all resorts.

In 2008 We were staying at the Shades Of Green resort. My son, myself and 2 of his friends were walking back from the Poly. There was a group of people about 200 feet behind us and they started screaming alligator. We had apparently passed what looked like a 6 foot + alligator laying out on the sidewalk, didn't even see it. We were walking up the drive. I have seen them on the golf course there and have seen people feeding them. It was a tragic accident and there should be no bashing these parents. My heart and prayers go out to the parents and family members of Lane.

I would stay there in a heartbeat. I've lived in Florida over half my life, and I have virtually no fear of gators while on Disney property, or anywhere in Florida.

But this area is avoidable correct? I just don't want to go down in the beach. the Alice in wonderland splash pad and resort is all that interest me
You do not have to go on the sand are to get to the splash area. You will be fine

Our family was just at GF in November and would not let this tragic accident stop us from staying again. We have lived in Florida since '84' and learned that if there is a body of water, that there is a great chance that it has gator(s) in it. DW and I always thought that WDW should have gator warning signs, considering you see them so often. Unlike TheDisneyNurse we do fear the gators, I think its dangerous not too. We know what gators can do and that over the years they are becoming less and less fearful of humans.

IMO Disney will be doing everything they possibly can to keep people from canceling and continuing to book. I'd imagine that the coming months would be the "safest" (whatever that means) to visit.

Tragic situation. Prayers for the Family. Would I stay at the GF. Yes. Gators are a way of life where I live. I feel for they family. Yes I would stay.

I have stayed at the villas at the Grand Floridian several times, and would absolutely stay there again. I love this resort, it is even more lovely at Christmas.

Christmas is gorgeous at the Grand!! It's probably my favorite place to be at Christmastime - it's so festive and beautiful. We always make a point to stop there and get chestnuts and see the tree

Oh, it is awesome at Christmas-time. We've never stayed, but go for my December birthday and always make it a point to visit GF just to see the life size gingerbread house. The decorations are the best. And walk out the front door where the cars arrive and they have roasted chestnuts! First time I ever tried them was there.

Keep in mind, Lane was not "unattended." His dad was close enough to try to fight off the alligator in the few short seconds it took for it to get Lane.

From several articles they stated that both parents and their daughter were all in that area. He was not alone.

If I could comfortably afford it, yes!! The latest news would not deter me from something like that. I take an assumption of risk wherever I go when I travel. I use common sense. If you aren't comfortable going there, don't. But I'll warn you that I've seen gators all over Disney property each time I visit. That resort is not the only one. But it's never changed my viewpoints.

I hope you find a way to enjoy your upcoming trip! I wish we could go again but after this event we probably won't be able to afford it again :(

Okay so my husband and I are planning our daughters birthday for next year, Grand Floridian was our choice because of the Alice & Wonderland themes (shes a huge fan!) With recent events I am now hesitant, I know tragedies happen and this was most likely a freak accident, we have another daughter who will be 2 when we go next year so of course its really hitting home. How close is the beach/lagoon area to the pools? Is the beach lagoon area something that we can avoid all together or is it something you have to walk by? Please no parent bashing or hateful comments, I am just a concerned mom who has never stayed in this resort knows nothing of the layout and wants to make a good decision for my family =) Thanks! Also any other resort that has Alice in Wonderland Motifs is appreciated! You just can't beat that awesome looking splash pad tho!

*Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to upload me pictures and get me detailed maps better than Dinsey itself had available, my questions have been answered! Even though I have asked repetitively not to discuss parenting views and the actual victims we still seem to be veering a smidge off course so I will no longer be replying but thank you once again to everyone for their kind words and helping a mama out pixiedust:

Yes, I would stay there. We have a trip booked for Labor Day weekend staying at GF for the first time, and I'm excited about it.

If you're really uncomfortable though, there are several resorts that have really nice splash pads and pools also. DD enjoyed the one at the Poly. To my knowledge, there are no other Alice themes at other resorts.

Would we stay at the GF? Not even for free! Between this horrible incident and the fact that WDW was scouted very recently as a terrorist attack destination; I plan to keep my family out of harm's way and away from Disneyworld.

Sorry you feel this way. I guess in your life, the bad guys have final won. With the enemy that we are now facing, no place is 100% safe. You just have to be on your toes and keep your eyes and ears open at all times.

We have been at the Poly during this entire event. It was very sad and on the minds of everyone staying here. Yes we would stay at the GF. As a matter of fact we are hoping to book our next vacation at the GF. This was a tragic event that we will never forget except to pray for Lane and his parents.

Yes. But the price is never right.

We did the 1900 Park Faire breakfast last year and walked around the GF grounds. I never found the beach areas appealing at any of the resorts that have them. I did know about the gators at waterways and lakes even not having seen any.

We once rented a cabin at the Myakka River State park in Sarasota. We did see a gator lunging at a stork, fortunately he missed. When I would go out to the car, I would look under the cabin which was on stilts and under the car. Maybe it was overkill but I was ready to run if need arose.

My condolences to the family.

IMO Disney will be doing everything they possibly can to keep people from canceling and continuing to book. I'd imagine that the coming months would be the "safest" (whatever that means) to visit.

To keep me going back to Disney World ever again, they need to do the following:

1. Post signs warning of the dangers in all known water locations.
2. Move nighttime family events to safe locations away from the water.
3. Change the size rule and hunt down all alligators, not just large ones.
4. Sweep the Lagoon and Bay Lake for alligators 3x a week.
5. Install hi-res cameras at known areas where guests are feeding alligators.
6. Throw out any guest caught feeding alligators immediately, no exceptions.
7. Add barriers/fencing along the International Gateway creek and the like.
8. Seal off ancillary waterways known to be feeding alligators into the resort waterways.

That is how a corporation that truly cares about its guests safety would act under these circumstances. That's a demonstrative action plan. That's what's necessary to get my business back after 40 years of visitation as a child and adult.

To keep me going back to Disney World ever again, they need to do the following:

8. Seal off ancillary waterways known to be feeding alligators into the resort waterways.

That is how a corporation that truly cares about its guests safety would act under these circumstances. That's a demonstrative action plan. That's what's necessary to get my business back after 40 years of visitation as a child and adult.

Will you hold this standard for every business in the United States? Keep your tourist spending money away from any corporation that does not adhere to this set of rules, away fom National Parks that refuse to remove threat of potentially dangerous animals, and we should include snakes and venomous spiders, Away from resorts that have activities despite a potential for an accident with the wildlife that lives there?

You see, DIsney should not be held to a standard that evey other theme park, National Park, and resort is not asked to keep. I can see Florida becoming one huge alligator trap....

I think some of your requests are reasonable, with a few exceptions.

Disney does not have any control over the size regulations. That would have to go through the Florida Wildlife Commission. It is illegal to violate the rules, even if Disney would like to appear more proactive.

Also, gators can climb fences, so fencing any water front area would be pointless from the standpoint of keeping gators out. Since gators can, and do, walk on land, sealing waterways would also not contain them.

However, adding signs, moving some recreational areas farther from the water (especially those that take place at or after sunset), and perhaps having camera systems like they do at AKL to keep people from feeding the wildlife are all reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter