Would You Stay at Grand Floridian? Beach Avoidable? No Parent Bashing Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but I think visitors need to be aware that this goes beyond GF and Poly. There are fresh bodies of water all over WDW, near every resort.

CBR, POR and FQ to name a few. I believe SS, BWI and CS all have fresh bodies of water near them as well.

This entire story makes me sick. My heart aches for this family.

And AOA and Pop have Mirror Lake. The parks have fresh water in them, too.

How I understand the OP question: Would/should I stay at the GF for my daughter's (who loves Alice in Wonderland) birthday next year?

This is how I would approach the question:

Pros-
The motif of Alice is unique to GF.
The GF is a lovely resort.
The splash pad and pool are nice (and may be accessed away from the beach area)
There is a character meal at 1900 Park Fare on property.
The monorail and its access to MK (and EPCOT).
(not definitely but pretty sure beach access will be changed after this week possibly barriers or something else)

Cons-
It appears the tea party (which was so fun when DD did it 10 years ago) is for ages 4-10.
$$$$
DD might not love Alice when the time rolls around (toddlers can be fickle)
(your) discomfort with the recent events (understandably so)
Two year olds don't have great memories (case in point-I went above and beyond to arrange, schedule, basically make perfect DD's 4th bday trip to WDW-where, incidentally, she was at the GF). Unfortunately I was deployed the month prior so asking her about it immediately after, months after (when I returned) and years after resulted in the same "I don't remember" answer.

So...if you have the least little twinge of discomfort, then don't do it. Chances are high she'll enjoy looking at the pictures as she gets older and will enjoy the moment but if you're uncomfortable she will pick up on that and it just might not be as magical. (no)

If, in a few months, it excites you and you start to get a little thrill when you think about it or make a ressie, then it's the place for you. (yes)

Not sure if that was helpful, but that would be my approach.

I would not hesitate to stay at the GF again -- in fact, we are in February 2017. I've seen gators pretty much every trip I've been to Disney - I've not see them closer than 15 feet away. I spend a lot of time on the water, for many years I ran a salt water charter boat, so I am used to looking for life in the water, near the water's edge, etc. It was a tragic and horrifying event that happened. I would not be surprised if Disney doesn't do some fencing or something around their water features. As pp have noted -- water is a key feature all over Disney -- they use it as a means of transportation and for decoration -- from deluxe to value. I can recall our very first trip a spunky little 5 year old saying -- hey look at that stick in the water, it is moving and has eyes. That was one of the decorative ponds over at CSR. We called the front desk and shortly thereafter, she got the thrill of her life to watch Disney security/alligator wranglers get the critter out of the pond.... Which was at most 100 feet from our door.

Tom

We live in Ligonier Pa. which is less than 30 miles from flight 93. I will never forget that day as will no one else. It was a horrible awakening to our family as we had always felt safe and somewhat removed from the "crazy" world. We learned that tragedy can happen at any time and anywhere. My dh and I decided that we will show our children the world and teach them to embrace it. We will not hide and be scared into a false sense of security. You can not avoid terrorist and think that one place is safer than another. Would WDW be a target, of course, a large amount of people in one area. So is the local Walmart, Grocery Store, sporting arenas, concerts, movie theaters, subways, and the list goes on. What we can do is teach our children to be aware of their surroundings, speak up when something looks "wrong", and use as much caution as possible. To avoid a resort at WDW because of an alligator attack is foolish. My heart breaks for the family and friends of the little boy, he was an innocent child enjoying a vacation with his family. I don't put the blame on either side and believe it was just a tragic accident. We will continue to educate our children while showing them as much of the world as possible. It is a true injustice when you feel you are protecting you child by shielding him/her from the rest of the world. Do we have issues with terrorism, YES but my family refuses to let terrorism control our family.

Since your tag line says one month, three weeks and five days till your next vacation....are you now not going because you think it is not safe ? Assuming you are talking about a trip to Disney
We are going in December for a Christmas trip and is unrelated to this one we are taking nect year for my daughters birthday

Who cares whose fault it is!!!! It CAN'T happen again! If it is on Disney property it is their responsibility....plain and simple. A BABY IS DEAD! And parents watched it happen! They will relive this moment in their heads EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY for the REST OF THEIR LIVES! Could of, should of, would of - a baby is dead. Period. Disney needs to correct the situation to ensure it doesn't happen EVER AGAIN.

Imagine if it was you....and you read the comments on here. Seriously - show some compassion for someone else's grief. A BABY IS DEAD. Disney is a multi-billion dollar company....they will do what is right....regardless of what is said on here.

It is amazing how many judges and juries have popped up on these boards over the last two days. It's not as plain and simple as you make it out to be. There are state laws in place which denote who is actually at fault in a situation like this. This is not a cut and dried situation. Only time will tell how Disney will respond. CNN had a great article regarding resort liability in a situation like this: http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/opinions/hotels-may-avoid-liability-alligator-attack-danny-cevallos/

The Grand Floridian is my dream resort. Never stayed there, but *fingers crossed* hopefully getting the chance in December of 2017!
That said, my excitement about that trip (we're trying to rent DVC points, so the ball is already rolling even though it's so far away), has admittedly been overshadowed this week. Happy thoughts of Christmastime at the Grand have been replaced by sorrowful thoughts of the tragedy that took place there. It's weird, but I not only feel sad for the family and their little one, but also, in a strange way, for the Grand itself. I had the same feeling when 9/11 happened. I was distraught for those that lost their lives and their families and loved ones, but I also felt sad for NYC itself. Not just the people, but the place. I love NYC, and had such great memories visiting there. To me it was the quintessential city. There was something very proud about NYC, and seeing it hurting was heartbreaking.
The same has been true whenever I think of the GF these past couple of days. It makes me sad to see that "grand" place surrounded by so much sorrow. I know by December 2017 I will be excited again about going there, but can totally understand anyone who just feels it's "too soon" right now or in the near future. A year from now? Yeah. I think I could do that. Next week? Probably not. Next month? Not sure. But it's not due to fear of alligators or thinking the Grand or Disney are at fault in any way. It's because what happened was sad, and I don't want to visit my "happy place" when it has a sad cloud hanging over it.

But, no, you don't have to go onto the beach area, as you've seen. We stayed at the Cabanas section of Coronado Springs, which is the "beach" section of that resort, and other than spending about 3 minutes in a hammock once just to do it when we were walking somewhere else, we never went on the beach. I did read here a report of a gator at CSR, but that's not why we avoided the beach. We just didn't see the appeal. I'm not fond of sand, LOL. I live fairly close to the real beach here in NC, and whenever I go I wonder what I was thinking. It's hot, it's sandy/gritty, and after a record number of shark attacks last summer, I wasn't really interested in going into the water...which was never much of a picnic to start with given the burning salt water up your nose and in your eyes, the waves knocking you around, and the sharp piles of broken shells you have to walk across.

Beaches smeaches. I'll be at the pool. ;)

I understand your concern, but I would keep your reservation. The beach area is somewhat close to the pool but it can be avoided. With the unfortunate event that just happened, I am sure that Disney is going to be super cautious with all of their beach areas. It is a beautiful resort!

OP, I know you've gotten tons of answers, but wanted to chime in given our many experiences at the GF. Yes, I would absolutely return to the Grand, but can understand your question. What is right for me and mine is not what is right for every family. :flower3:

It's not at all hard to avoid the beach area, in fact, we rarely spend any time there in recent years. The themed pool (named the Beach Pool!) is adjacent to the beach, but there is the Courtyard Pool in the center of the resort, surrounded by the outer buildings, and the Alice splash pad is within viewing distance but not really near the beach.

However, there are activities on the beach you may feel hesitant to attend. If this would significantly impact your visit, then perhaps choose another resort that would better fit your needs. AKL does not have a beach and the animal viewing seems to enthrall kids!!

Either way, I hope you and your family have a magical trip! :hug:

Would love the opportunity to stay at GF but so far has been out of my budget.

The accident was a freak thing. I would not let it stop us from enjoying our vacation anymore than I would let the terrorist attack at the nightclub stop us from traveling. Definitely a highly emotional and tragic week but life will continue.

Be aware of your surroundings on both accounts but go enjoy your trip and your children.

How I understand the OP question: Would/should I stay at the GF for my daughter's (who loves Alice in Wonderland) birthday next year?

This is how I would approach the question:

Pros-
The motif of Alice is unique to GF.
The GF is a lovely resort.
The splash pad and pool are nice (and may be accessed away from the beach area)
There is a character meal at 1900 Park Fare on property.
The monorail and its access to MK (and EPCOT).
(not definitely but pretty sure beach access will be changed after this week possibly barriers or something else)

Cons-
It appears the tea party (which was so fun when DD did it 10 years ago) is for ages 4-10.
$$$$
DD might not love Alice when the time rolls around (toddlers can be fickle)
(your) discomfort with the recent events (understandably so)
Two year olds don't have great memories (case in point-I went above and beyond to arrange, schedule, basically make perfect DD's 4th bday trip to WDW-where, incidentally, she was at the GF). Unfortunately I was deployed the month prior so asking her about it immediately after, months after (when I returned) and years after resulted in the same "I don't remember" answer.

So...if you have the least little twinge of discomfort, then don't do it. Chances are high she'll enjoy looking at the pictures as she gets older and will enjoy the moment but if you're uncomfortable she will pick up on that and it just might not be as magical. (no)

If, in a few months, it excites you and you start to get a little thrill when you think about it or make a ressie, then it's the place for you. (yes)

Not sure if that was helpful, but that would be my approach.
I'm asking if the beach was avoidable and how close it was to splash pads, my youngest daughter will be 2 but it's my 6 yo we are going for, she will be turning 7

Everyone who has responded with Maps & Pictures thank you. My questions pertains to the layout and if the beach is avoidable. I am not afraid of the waters and I know it's FL and there is wildlife and gators all around. I would just prefer not to walk near the beach. My question has been answered so unless you are chiming in on pros/cons about the GF please keep the comments to yourself I did not want this to be a discussion about the little boy and the accident that happened. Thank you everyone!

OP, I know you've gotten tons of answers, but wanted to chime in given our many experiences at the GF. Yes, I would absolutely return to the Grand, but can understand your question. What is right for me and mine is not what is right for every family. :flower3:

It's not at all hard to avoid the beach area, in fact, we rarely spend any time there in recent years. The themed pool (named the Beach Pool!) is adjacent to the beach, but there is the Courtyard Pool in the center of the resort, surrounded by the outer buildings, and the Alice splash pad is within viewing distance but not really near the beach.

However, there are activities on the beach you may feel hesitant to attend. If this would significantly impact your visit, then perhaps choose another resort that would better fit your needs. AKL does not have a beach and the animal viewing seems to enthrall kids!!

Either way, I hope you and your family have a magical trip! :hug:
Thank you so much ❤️

are you staying away from churches, schools, malls, movie theaters, courthouses, airplanes, subways, trains, concert halls, nightclubs and social services offices, too? Those have all been targets of terror attacks. It can happen anywhere, without notice (that's the point of terrorist attacks).
Exactly you have to live your life... If you let these terrorist control you they win...

Yes. Unhesitatingly.

It was a freak accident.

If you're worried about being near the beach you don't even have to go near it at the GF - The beach is only next to the smaller pool with the water slide and is only in that area. The rest of the resort is grass leading to a high embankment on the lake. Their main pool is in the middle of the resort so if you just go to that pool you won't even go near the beach.

That SAID - the beach will be perfectly safe during daylight hours. You're going to have a better chance of getting the Zika virus then having a face to face encounter with an alligator.

Go.

You're far more likely to suffer a meteorite strike than a repeat of this incident.

Bill From PA
Exactly. The only positive thing to come of the horrible accident is that maybe we will all be more careful and stay away from the lake edges.

I would not hesitate to stay there again. The first time we went my DD was 2, but we didn't play on the beach area, we played in the pool. Now there are 2 nice pools and a lovely Alice in Wonderland splash/play area ( it looks so cute and fun -- I wish it was there when my DD was a little one). It's near the beach, but not that close. Frankly, there are quite a few WDW resorts with that type of "beach" and I don't think the one at the GF is any more dangerous than the others. In fact, maybe less since it's kind of out of the way to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter