Would you rather...

YodaGirl

DIS Veteran
Our current camper is a 70's model pop-up. It's been redone, and while the canvas is on the fragile side, it' all-in-all a decent camper. DH and & I are looking to upgrade within the next year or so.

My parents had a pop-up for the majority of my childhood. DH grew up tent camping, and we've done quite a bit of it since we've been married. I say that just to say that while we really do want a travel trailer eventually, staying with a pop-up (for now) really wouldn't be a big deal.

We have 2 thoughts when it comes to upgrading:

1.) Upgrade to a much newer pop-up (approx $5k range) and get a (relatively) inexpensive golf cart (no bells and whistles, but capable of carting 4 people). We would do all of this with the mindset of upgrading to a mid range TT in just a little over 5 years.

OR

2.) Upgrade to a lower end TT which we would keep for awhile. The golf cart would hopefully come about 5 yrs or so after the upgrade.

The ability to buy the way I've mentioned is due to me getting a higher paying job (3 yrs from now) and DH being a stay at home dad. That would allow us to buy a better TT then, than we could afford next year.

Usually, when we stay at the Fort we travel with my parents (they pull a TT) and stay in a tent on their site. We split the gas and the site, so it works out best for everyone. I really would like our own camper down there, but when it comes to the $$ we save, I just can't justify it. We normally just use the camper closer to home.

I guess it just comes down to patience. Even though I have no problem with a tent pr pop-up, I want a TT now. I don't want to wait. :cutie: BUT I know that if we wait, we'll be able to get a nicer one.

I'm sorry. I know that's a lot...

We've got a bit to think about it, but I was just curious as to what ya'll would do. :)

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes

ETA: I just realized that since this is in fact OT,I should have posted it in the other thread. Can a mod move this for me? Sorry!

Here are my thoughts on this. When we were younger we had a popup for two years. We sold it and didn't have an RV for the next 10 years. I so wish we had never sold that popup. While a TT is great to have a popup will keep you camping and that is the most important part. Our biggest issue would be the abilitly to set up the popup so it can dry out once we are home. If you have that, I wouldn't hesitate to keep the popup until your finances catch up. Happy camping!

My advice, spend as little as possible on the 'half-steps' between your current rig and your ideal rig. The more you spend, the more you'll loose (campers depreciate like crazy), and the more difficult it will be for you to let go of the temporary rig. I would get the most basic p-up that will meet your needs and save the rest for that dream TT. As an aside: I assume you have a full 8' bed pickup truck to cart the cart? Also, I would say spending more on the cart and less of the p-up makes sense as you will be keeping the cart for the long term, so I would spend a little more and get a 48-volt or gas cart instead of a low-end one. Just my 2¢.

ShantaClausSm.png

If you don't mind buying used, you could probably get a nice TT now. Used TT are really inexpensive where I live. My sister just sold her 32' TT for $7,000. It was only 10 years old and in excellent condition and hardly used. If you aren't really picky about the inside colors, you should be able to get what you want. We bought our MH used 11 years ago and have renovated it to make it what we want. Just a thought.:mickeyjum

I agree used is the way to buy. Maybe just spend the money to have a professional to check it out before you sign the papers. IF the pro finds a reason not to buy it then its money saved.
With any vehicle (unless you're talking a one of a kind collectable car) the vehicle loses a huge value soon as the papers on signed because then its offically 'used'/pre owned. There's many people who buy these kind of items and then decide they don't like it or it doesnt suit their lifestyle. Someone I know bought a large boat when they retired then hated it because they didnt realize how much it took to handle/maintian the boat. Or as we know life changes in a moment. In this economy if you're willing to search and hold out I would wager you can find what you want at a reasonable price.
I do agree its better to wait and get what you want.

As an aside: I assume you have a full 8' bed pickup truck to cart the cart?

Doh!:headache: I keep forgetting that we've got a short bed, now. I'm used to having our standard cab long bed and being able to haul pretty much anything. We traded it for an extended cab w/ a short bed (I don't know about anyone else, but I don't forsee a trip from KY to WDW and back w/ a 3yr old and carseat in the middle being a lot of fun. Now she's got a bench to herself. ;) ). Ah, well...no golf cart. Was a nice thought, though. :goodvibes

I think that we're gonna look into a used but newer lower end model pop up next year. I'm not really picky, but I want something a little nicer and dependable. It's fine now, but the canvas is starting to get on the fragile side, and DH is afraid a certain piece will break and that we'll end up with a pop-up that won't pop-up.

Ya'll are right...campers depreciate so quickly, and I really do want to try and be patient so that I can get what I really want w/o regrets.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)

My truck bed is only 6.5' and my carts rear wheel fits perfectly inside of the bed, and I raise the tailgate halfway up to meet the carts rear bumper. An 8' bed is IDEAL..but you CAN get by without it.....and if your current pop-up is still holding its own....KEEP IT!!!! I would love to upgrade to a TT as well...but my pup works, doesnt leak and has no problems and is PAID FOR!!! I will keep it till its on its last leg...get every cent out of it that I can!!!

My advice, spend as little as possible on the 'half-steps' between your current rig and your ideal rig. The more you spend, the more you'll loose (campers depreciate like crazy), and the more difficult it will be for you to let go of the temporary rig.
I agree! I have always been told buy your second camper first.

and if your current pop-up is still holding its own....KEEP IT!!!!
I agree with this also!

If the only thing "wrong" with your pop up is the canvas, you can replace some or all of the panels.

Check out Canvas Replacements. They can manufacture exact replacement canvas for most makes/models.

I agree! I have always been told buy your second camper first.

That is a much more eloquent way of saying it! I like that a lot. Also, I wanted to congratulate you for post 1200!
:banana::thumbsup2:banana::thumbsup2:banana:

ShantaClausSm.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter