WOULD YOU RATHER drive from Inland Empire to Tahoe on Jan 1 or spend NYE in Death Valley on the way?

hodad

DIS Veteran
We're moving to Claremont, CA, this summer, and we're probably going skiing in Lake Tahoe Jan 1-4. Should we drive the 7 hours all in one day on Jan 1 or should we break it up and spend NYE along the way, in Death Valley? We currently have no NYE plans in Claremont, but probably will, and I'd like to know if passing on them to go to Death Valley is worth it.

We're moving to Claremont, CA, this summer, and we're probably going skiing in Lake Tahoe Jan 1-4. Should we drive the 7 hours all in one day on Jan 1 or should we break it up and spend NYE along the way, in Death Valley? We currently have no NYE plans in Claremont, but probably will, and I'd like to know if passing on them to go to Death Valley is worth it.
That's about the ideal time for Death Valley. I'd expect the daytime temperatures would be in the 70s to 80s F.

If you're going skiing, have you maybe thought about Mammoth Mountain? That's closer to Death Valley.

If Marriott Vacation Club had inventory in Mammoth Lakes we would consider going there instead. But alas they don't.

If Marriott Vacation Club had inventory in Mammoth Lakes we would consider going there instead. But alas they don't.

Makes sense. Death Valley is certainly interesting. It's not necessarily what I'd call visually stunning like Yosemite, but the geology of the area is interesting. I've been there when it was 126ºF at Badwater in June. I've also been there when it was 75ºF as a side trip from Las Vegas during December. That was during a cold spell when it was in the 30s F in Vegas.

Visitation numbers are pretty steady throughout the year, although I'm sure there are longer stays during winter. Hiking is definitely more practical. During summer they get lots of people who pass through for a few hours just to say they did it. During summer, Furnace Creek Inn is closed, but Furnace Creek Ranch is open. Strangely enough, I think the golf course is open year round, if you're willing to play in 120ºF heat. The amenities in Furnace Creek are not legally part of the national park, so they're not subject to NPS regulations. When all NPS sites had to close during the sequestration, the privately owned properties at Death Valley stayed open. Also, there's legally a state highway running through Death Valley, so the road stayed open. They have no entrance stations there. Park entrance fees are supposed to be paid at self-serve kiosks or at a visitor center. If you're just passing through without any "visitation" of the NPS areas, theoretically you don't need to pay the entrance fee. I think this could include just going to the Furnace Creek areas operated by Xanterra.

What would we do in Death Valley on Dec 31, other than sleep in a bedroom? We'll have a 7yo girl with us. Is there a better stopping point between LA and Lake Tahoe?

What would we do in Death Valley on Dec 31, other than sleep in a bedroom? We'll have a 7yo girl with us. Is there a better stopping point between LA and Lake Tahoe?

There's plenty to do in Death Valley for a day. Of course visiting the lowest spot in the park - Badwater. There are also several sand dunes. We went there during the day and my kid had a blast playing in the sand. The only thing was we forgot to bring a sand bucket.

If you don't feel like taking a side trip to Death Valley, Bishop or Mammoth Lakes are pretty good midway points between LA and Tahoe.

Didn't realize you were asking about things to do with a 7 year old. So are you looking for a fireworks display?

Didn't realize you were asking about things to do with a 7 year old. So are you looking for a fireworks display?
Fireworks would be cool, but honestly I have no idea what there is to do for NYE between LA and Lake Tahoe other than eat dinner in a restaurant and watch the Times Square ball drop on the hotel room TV. If you know of anything cool, I'd love to hear it. (Obviously there's plenty of amazing things to do on that drive, but I'm curious about NYE specific events.)

Fireworks would be cool, but honestly I have no idea what there is to do for NYE between LA and Lake Tahoe other than eat dinner in a restaurant and watch the Times Square ball drop on the hotel room TV. If you know of anything cool, I'd love to hear it. (Obviously there's plenty of amazing things to do on that drive, but I'm curious about NYE specific events.)
Mammoth Mountain has a family event in the early evening with fireworks. Their website says sold out, but it may be for last year. You might be able to see the fireworks from outside the event though.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/win...amily-new-years-eve&day=31&month=12&year=2016

I've done that IE to Lake Tahoe trip many times in my life. I'd stop in Mammoth. You can get there comfortably and it's a great place to be. Seriously, getting to Tahoe in only 7 hours seems unrealistic. Once you get up to the higher elevations, the drive gets slow, tedious and long. If you break it up, it's a joy. Beautiful country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter